Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Computer not ready?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer not ready?

I have a 96 Civic Coupe Ex. I took it through emissions and it's saying computer isn't ready and aborts. No check engine light, and the bulb works fine. I thought it might be the ECU, any other ideas?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Computer not ready?

If the back up fuse (in the underhood fuse box) is blown, the computer will reset every time the key is turned off, thus it will never be ready.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After awhile of toying with some ideas I've realize that the computers reset everytime the vehicle is off. Their was an aftermarket radio installed but the previous owner had removed it and cut some wires connected to a specific harness. I'm not sure if that is interfering with it or not. The electric windows, locks, and power mirrors all don't work so I'm starting to believe that it's all a connected issue even though the sun roof still works.

At at this point I'm starting to think it's a faulty ECU but it still concerns me that all the electrical problems are interfering with the ECU.

I drove it around for about 50 miles the other day with no lights coming on ecetra and the next day I decided to take it for another spin. Once I got into the vehicle I let it warm up for a few minutes drove it around the block, stopped back at my home, and then kept the engine running and continued to drive. Once I hit the bottom of my road I realize the check engine light came on, I thought hey, that's making progress. So, I head to a nearby shop to get the light ran for codes that may be effecting the situation. Once I pull up, I turn the engine off, he comes out and runs the code. It's showing no light is on, and the systems are reset yet again, and at this point is when I assumed it was a faulty ECU.

I switched out out all of the bad fuses, and the back up fuse wasn't the issue. I'm just hoping it's not a wiring issue.

It's obvious the previous owners wanted to get rid of this vehicle because they were having the same issue they just didn't plan on letting me know beforehand. I like it, it's a good ride, has potential but this problem is just becoming a pain in the ***. If anybody has any ideas that'd be great!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the wire that is constant battery voltage is white with a blue stripe. It goes from the underhood box to to the ECU, the radio, and a few other things. You need to test right at the ECU to confirm that it is indeed live all the time even with the key off.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be checking that tomorrow. I'm starting to think the locks, radio, and mirrors is a problem that's all connected to one another. If their is power still going to the wire I'll assume at that point it's either something faulty within the ECU, or it's a wire somewhere internal that's the problem. If none of those fix the issue it's back to the drawing board. If any you have anymore ideas just let me know! Ill keep the thread updated.