Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Comptech sway bar squeak noise information

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech sway bar squeak noise information

I figured I would share my experience for my HT bretheren's future reference.

I had my Comptech rear sway bar and tie bar combo installed a few months ago. I work at a Honda dealership so I had one of the Techs that races a CRX put it on. [nb: It's a great piece designed for performance, it's adjustable to three stiffness settings, and it is designed to avoid the dreaded sub-frame tear-out which I read about.]

However, it has now began to squeak. Searching through HT, I know I'm not the only one. There were quite a number of solutions thrown out there so I decided to call Comptech directly and get the scoop. Here is the deal:

1. The bushings are made from a hard urethane compound. This is ideal for performance.
2. The urethane bushings squeak after a while but still perform well. "You need to sacrifice for performance" says the Comptech guy.
3. Due to the large number of complaints, Comptech is now shipping their sway bar/tie bar combo with rubber bushings. Although not ideal for performance, this will avoid future squeaking complaints. They are available for $10/pair (all you need) if you want to replace your squeaky urethane bushings.
4. If you want to keep the urethane bushings and eliminate the squeaks for at least a while: take the sway bar apart, wrap teflon tape (available at any hardware store) twice around under where the bushings will sit, use a silicone-based grease on everything, tighten it up and go.

I'm going to have the Tech at the Honda dealership do #4 on Thurs. I will report back the results and bring this thread back from the dead if the squeaks start up again. Keep in mind I do not track the car, but drive around "spiritedly" and have a 2-hour round-trip commute.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech sway bar squeak noise information (lowrightor)

That is just the nature of urethane. Have to lube it up every now and then. I get the occassional squeaks with my stock sway bars w/energy suspensions urethane sway bushings, but I'm not switching back to rubber

Here is a pic of one of my old rubber bushings when I took it out :

Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech sway bar squeak noise information (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is just the nature of urethane. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, urethane is always a squeaking problem. When I installed my Comptech, I covered the bushings with marine grease. 6 months later, no problems at all. I'm sure I'll have to do it again after the winter, but no noise as of yet. Marine grease
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've also heard of ppl wrapping the bar with teflon tape to reduce noise also
Old 08-27-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've also heard of ppl wrapping the bar with teflon tape to reduce noise also</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, really?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4. If you want to keep the urethane bushings and eliminate the squeaks for at least a while: take the sway bar apart, wrap teflon tape (available at any hardware store) twice around under where the bushings will sit, use a silicone-based grease on everything, tighten it up and go.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Comptech sway bar squeak noise information (lowrightor)

Eh, my bar came with teflon tape and lube. I used both.

It started to squeak a couple months after the initial install so I sprayed some WD40 in the general area and it went away. Repeat every couple months.

Problem solved.