Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

compression test..need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression test..need suggestions!

ok heres the story, i just bought a d16z6 and decided to run a compression test on it...it came out with the following numbers...cyl.1-120 , cyl.2&4-0 , cyl.3- 5...(i should also add we did this with the motor outside of the car) we figured bent valves...so we loaded the motor back up on my friends truck to take it somewhere we can tear it down...while we were doing this we tilted the motor on its side picking it up and a mixture of coolant and oil (which should never at any appointed time be mixed) came out of a coolant hose, now we figured cracked sleeve. I plan to run a leak down sometime this week. so here are my questions:

1. what do you guys think, bent valve, cracked sleeve, blown head gasket, or all of the above?

2.when running a leak down test how will i be able to diagnose the difference of a bent valve or a cracked sleeve? will the air rush out much faster do to the cracked sleeve or will the air pass through valve just as fast as a cracked sleeve?

3. Say it is a bent valve, is it bad to just replace those bent valves? or will it make the others work harder due to the newer valves? (kinda on a budget).

i know im forgetting some questions, but if anyone can answer these i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: compression test..need suggestions! (whitesw20)

1. Most likely a blown head gasket and possibly a warped head due to overheating.

2. If you have a bent valve the air will come out of the intake or exhaust manifolds. If you have a cracked sleeve the air will come from the coolant hoses/passages.

3. If you are on a budget, replace the bent valves, have the guides checked, and get the valve seats machined for a good seal. Also check the valve spring pressure to make sure none of them are weak.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: compression test..need suggestions! (Jim Truett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Most likely a blown head gasket and possibly a warped head due to overheating.

2. If you have a bent valve the air will come out of the intake or exhaust manifolds. If you have a cracked sleeve the air will come from the coolant hoses/passages.

3. If you are on a budget, replace the bent valves, have the guides checked, and get the valve seats machined for a good seal. Also check the valve spring pressure to make sure none of them are weak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have found that 9 times out of 10, a user who chooses his real name as his screen name will often times be a very useful member here.

Sorry for the OT...

Old 05-12-2004, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: compression test..need suggestions! (whitesw20)

Thanks Jim, that helps out alot, #2 was sort of common sense but i figured i should make sure. I appreciate the help!