Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Completely confused on engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely confused on engine replacement

I need to replace the engine in my sons 98 Civic Ex MT

I have been trying to buy one and all my searches keep coming up with engines that say they fit but then I read the fine print and its a Vin 6 or Vin 7 or not VTEC.

Bottom line, what can I put in this thing? I need to be as close to a direct snap as possible because this is my first ever engine swap and I have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Completely confused on engine replacement

read the FAQ and read up on it a little.

look next to the trany below the distributor and there will be the engine code. for 98 EX should be D16Y8. This is the code you should make sure the replacement motor is for a 1 to 1 direct OEM replacement.

Also make sure theres a cylinder about 1/2 the size of a roll of quarters. on the intake / distributor side. this is the VTEC solenoid.

If your still stumped and feel like your over your head you should mabye take it to a shop.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, Im either blind or stupid because I have looked through the FAQ and for the life of me I can't figure out if I can put anything other than an exact D16Y8 in. I there a chart or something?
Old 02-27-2016, 02:20 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by DieMaster

look next to the trany below the distributor and there will be the engine code. for 98 EX should be D16Y8. This is the code you should make sure the replacement motor is for a 1 to 1 direct OEM replacement.

Also make sure theres a cylinder about 1/2 the size of a roll of quarters. on the intake / distributor side. this is the VTEC solenoid.

If your still stumped and feel like your over your head you should mabye take it to a shop.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by Rob S
I need to replace the engine in my sons 98 Civic Ex MT

I have been trying to buy one and all my searches keep coming up with engines that say they fit but then I read the fine print and its a Vin 6 or Vin 7 or not VTEC.

Bottom line, what can I put in this thing? I need to be as close to a direct snap as possible because this is my first ever engine swap and I have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Honda-Tech.

Sounds like you have located and confirmed that you have the D16Y8 engine? You saw where the stamp was? This stamp can say different things. If yours says D16Y8 on the upper line of that rectangle where the first picture shows you it is (trust me, I did not know it was there either, until last year) then an engine coded D16Y8 would be the most exact replacement.

Another engine that MAY be popping up a lot in your search is called "D16Y7." Code D16Y8 is the EX engine that year, also range 1996-2000. If it said code D16Y7 and not D16Y8, that would mean that you do NOT have the "VTEC" (Honda's variable valve timing, that gives better performance and fuel economy at higher RPMS such as highway cruise) version of Honda's engine, in this case the 1.6L.

Anything with the first three letters "D15" isn't the right engine for your car. It's saying 1.5L engine, and yours has the 1.6. Hence, "D16" as first three letters.

For your year, 1998, and your model, EX, this is the most relevant information and divulging more engine codes would only serve to be confusing.

Most of the time, we would just say "Y8" as an abbreviation. What that would mean:
Y8 = HAS VTEC feature/parts
Y7 = DOES NOT HAVE VTEC feature/parts.

If you have a Y8, for your purpose, you want a Y8 to replace it.

Again, welcome to H-T. The guys on here know their stuff, and I learn from them as well.

Is there a chart or something
Though interchangeability is great on these cars, I do highly recommend you go with a D16Y8 for your purpose.

If it's absolutely impossible to find a Y8 from somewhere (they are fairly common, if not very common, the only variable is the price and mileage or condition, I say condition) then we can say what could work, and how. But I truly think direct replacement would be the easiest to do.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, I absolutely know I have a D16Y8 VTEC. Thought I could opt to put a non-VTEC in as a replacement and it would just have less performance.

TO be honest - I need a 3 year engine for around town driving. If I can put in a non-VTEC it will save me a a ton of money
Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

ok, I absolutely know I have a D16Y8 VTEC. Thought I could opt to put a non-VTEC in as a replacement and it would just have less performance.

TO be honest - I need a 3 year engine for around town driving. If I can put in a non-VTEC it will save me a a ton of money
I do assume you mean Y7 for Non-VTEC...

I will defer to the experts, but. I believe that it can be done.

Pros: OP is asking if he can put a D16Y7 in his originally D16Y8 car.

Shouldn't be too hard, OP. The Pros here can guide you.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious, what's wrong with the old engine?

You can use the non VTEC. You'll need the corresponding ECU for your model years (96-98 P2E. You'll have to convert to a three wire idle air control valve connector and rewire accordingly. Reuse your old exhaust and manifold. As long as you use your old harness and get a 96-98 engine it'll be plug and play. Just tape the VTEC and knock sensor connectors out of the way.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 wire conversion not needed if car is automatic.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
3 wire conversion not needed if car is automatic.
He mentioned in the first post it's an EX MT (Manual Transmission)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

OP keep it simple

Find the exact same replacement
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
OP keep it simple

This was my thought too.

Get another D16Y8, and if it was a manual, then you don't even have to swap intakes manifolds or exhaust manifolds. If the D16Y8 replacement came from an automatic, then you should swap the intake manifold and exhaust manifold from your engine to the replacement. Some of the sensors and things differ between manual and automatic.

You can sit down with hondaparts now and compare parts on the manifolds to see what stays the same and what differs. You may only need to swap the intake manifold. I haven't researched it personally on the 6th gen like I have the 5th gen.

Then there is no wiring or ECU swaps required.

Straight plug and play.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by tony_2018
OP keep it simple

Originally Posted by TomCat39
This was my thought too.

Get another D16Y8, and if it was a manual, then you don't even have to swap intakes manifolds or exhaust manifolds. If the D16Y8 replacement came from an automatic, then you should swap the intake manifold and exhaust manifold from your engine to the replacement. Some of the sensors and things differ between manual and automatic.

You can sit down with hondaparts now and compare parts on the manifolds to see what stays the same and what differs. You may only need to swap the intake manifold. I haven't researched it personally on the 6th gen like I have the 5th gen.

Then there is no wiring or ECU swaps required.

Straight plug and play.
I did say this as well, but apparently OP already has secured a Y7 (?) and is saying it would save him time because he seems to be strongly hinting that he has a D16Y7 already.

I do not know what OP means when he says he "needs a three year engine" as he put in his first post if I recall correctly (or his reply to me) except maybe three-year WARRANTY engine, like he got it from LKQ or something.

OP.. ?

Let's start with this : Do you presently have a replacement engine?