Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Compensator arms squeak, can it be fix?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Compensator arms squeak, can it be fix?

95lx 189550k
rear civic ex disc brake swap

Brand new compensator arms, both side.. Plenty of lube prior to install. New trailling arm bushings also..

Alignment, done.
All those parts were install last fall, plenty of time for the bushing to set.. When its cold out it doesnt squeak whatsoever, but when its warm out, it squeak at every bump, I mean even a crack in the road makes it squeak.. Parts were install by mechanic.. Alignment is perfect..

I can stand on the rear door, jump up and down on it and u can hear it squeaks.. Wtf?? Annoying as hell.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Compensator arms squeak, can it be fix?

What kind of bushings? Have you identified EXACTLY where the squeaking is coming from or are you guessing? Other than a squeak is there any drivability issue?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that is where the noise is coming from? Could be a bad shock, lower control arm bushing ect
Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I KNOW exactly where its coming from.. Its not the lca, had brand new lca, it squeaks still. Swap out for gsr lca, added gsr stock sway bar, still squeaks, shocks are kyb, its not those.

Oem bushing, comp arm and TA bushing are oem..
Like I said, I open the rear door and stand on the door sill, jump up and down while my friend look and listened. The I had him jump while I look and listen.. We even rock the car forward from both side and both side squeak..

It squeak directly where the comp arm bolt onto the trailling arm. I can make it squeaks everytime.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yea, smooth highway drive there arent any noise. Well its minimum but not annoying. In town its annoying. Im gonna have to get a vid sometime.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought was poly bushings, but you say that you don't have those. I have poly bushings on my ITR swaybar, and it squeaks like hell about once a year. When it does that, I take it off and apply more grease to the insides of the bushings, and it's fine again.

I wonder maybe if your bolts are binding in the bushings. I can't exactly visualize where you're talking about, and I may be completely offbase here - is it one of those spots where a bolt goes through a bushing with a metal collar in the center?

If so, have you tried resetting preload? With the wheels on the ground, loosen the bolt just a touch, and then retorque. Or, if the car's too low to get under, put it on jackstands, then compress the suspension with a jack under the LCA, loosen the bolt just a touch, and retorque.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but it's conceivable that if the mechanic torqued everything while the car was up in the air, that one of the bushings got stuck in a no load position, so now it squeaks when it loads and unloads.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive tried retorque it while on the ground. The compensator arm does have metal tube in the bushing. Ive took it completely apart, lube up the inside of the bushing, even put lube on the bolt itself. Bolt are new too when the arm were replaced. All oem, new, parts.. I just cannot figure out what else to try.. Ive tried cleaning it out and reinstall without lube, it squeaks, with plenty of lube and still squeaks..