Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Comparing a k20 civic to an s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing a k20 civic to an s2000?

ok so-

this is completly random-

i drive a base rsx..

my neighbor just got a nice s2000 ap2.

he loves it, I love it and its a great car

we were talking... he states that this car (the s2000) is such a different car compared to his 2007 v6 accord b/c of the power style and rwd of the s2000.

so we were talking and I mentioned how I was thinking of starting a project car when I graduate from college-

how I am interested in 240sx's and silvia conversions and whatnot-

but I have been recently interested in building a k20 civic-

and he just was making comments like...

why would you want to build something that small... a car that everyone and their mother has...

with such a swap how would you get traction... why would you want to build that over a rwd car?

and I was just saying that its different.. more of a challenge, and the fact that they are pretty darn fast

anyhow- thats just his opinion-

but what do you guys think of this topic, comparing an ap1/2 to a k20 civic hatch?

(i know I am posting this in the civic forum, maybe I should do the same eventually in the s2000 forum after a while)
Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love s2k's, my dad had an ap1 '02. But droppin a k20 in a smaller much lighter civic will crush the s2k. The s2k weighs over 2700ibs, and a EG civic hatch cx weighs just over 2000ibs...thats the difference, a k20 is a unbeatable N/A swap in a older lighter civic.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and I was just saying that its different.. more of a challenge, and the fact that they are pretty darn fast

pretty fast in a straight line.
and not very different, ever read honda tuning?

if you're just going straight and dont mind spending the money, go for the k powered civic.

hell a b powered civic can beat a s2k in a straight line, but for what you spend on the k20 swap you could buy a gen 1 s2k used.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

True you could buy an ap1, but then you got to pay out the a$$ on insurance. The beauty of swaping motors in old hondas is you can pay cheap insurance. If you got the money I say buy an ap1 just because thiers not to many on the road and people respect them, and if you can aford the insurance. Also chicks love drop tops! Where as if you drive an older civic people have the "ricer" image in thier head, till you pop the hood an they see the K20.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would take an S2000 over a K swap civic any day. K swap civic still gives you an older car that is just fast. S2000 isn't just a prestige car because of straight line quickness (which is doesn't really have) but because of overall track ability. You can make some pretty sick S2000s. My friend has a 252 WHP turbo D16 EG that would probably own an S2000 but it still rattles and shakes and looks like crap, etc.

S2000s are just amazing looking and performing cars.

And actually their insurance isn't too bad. Only like 20 bucks more a month for an S2000 over my EP3.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
I love s2k's, my dad had an ap1 '02. But droppin a k20 in a smaller much lighter civic will crush the s2k. The s2k weighs over 2700ibs, and a EG civic hatch cx weighs just over 2000ibs...thats the difference, a k20 is a unbeatable N/A swap in a older lighter civic.
my b18c ek hatch dx with boltons was able to beet s2ks, i askd the owner of the shop i go to if the s2k's where fast cause he owns one, and i was planning on getting one.. he said that my hatch would be able to beat his car.. and thats a b-series motor, a k20a2 or k20a would crush it like he siad cause they are more powerfull than the b series motors, and they respond better to boltons ..

(anyone correct me if im wrong)
Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by spray2020

with such a swap how would you get traction... why would you want to build that over a rwd car?

And aside the fact that it would beat an s2k traction would not be a problem yet.. some sticky tire would be all you need
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM

U can put a s2000 crank and put it in a k20. make it rev past 10,000 rpm from what iv heard
Old 11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put yourself in his shoes, him, a normal person that's not obsessed with civics - it's completely illogical. The S2K was constructed around performance. The civic was constructed around economy. Yeah, is it fun to be able to blow away an S2K in a drag race? Sure. Though if you're asking if I rather have a civic that has enough upgrades to beat a Lamborghini or rather have the Lamborghini - I'll take the Lambo, please. It's a completely different car, entirely comparing apples to oranges.

I'd take a K20 swapped civic over an S2000 for a few reasons:
- FWD is better than RWD as an all year car (you need to garage an S2K in the winter if you live by me.
- Parts are cheaper as a daily driver for a civic than they are for an S2K (non-motor parts, I'm talking about).

Other than that, if I had a summer and a winter car, a winter FWD beater, I'd take the S2K in a heart beat. Sure, it may not be as quick in the 1/4 as the K20 swapped civic, but it's an entirely different class of vehicle.

RWD cars perform better and gain traction better than FWD cars (in general, we're excluding exceptions like Bisimoto's cars here). With that said, because the K20 makes most of its power up high, you can still launch it towards the lower end, and as long as you know how to drive it you'll have traction just fine. While it's true the traction will never be as good as you get from the S2K due to the fact that the S2k is RWD, if you know how to drive it it'll be fine. Though with that said, the S2K isn't the best drag machine IMO, either. It's a roadster, designed to "glide" through the turns at a decently fast speed. It is NOT a drag machine.

It is all about what you're looking for in a car. If you want speed, get the cheap, gutted out, bare bones POS light *** chassis civic with the K20 swap in there, and that's that. If you want a classy roadster, buy the S2K.

People just don't get it, and it confuses them, and that pisses me off, and unfortunately lots of the people dwell on this forum - it all goes back to one simple principle:
- You can make a civic as fast 0-60 as a Ferrari...but it's still NOT a Ferrari.

Same applies to civics vs S2K's, same applies to any kind of souped up, cheap car, vs a stock car of a completey different class.

Now this is 100% preference therefore really has no purpose in this forum. You like your K20 swapped civic better, he likes his S2K better, you'll both just have to deal with that. To him (a probably semi-reasonable person), the idea of dropping that much power into a civic seems completely stupid. Though if you mention to him that all you care about is your 1/4 time, then maybe he'll understand where you're coming from a little better - or maybe he won't, who knows. The idea is completely moronic unless the person:
A) Loves civics.
B) Is only interested in 1/4 mile time.

It's as simple as that. This is all preferential ****.

Lemme put it this way:::::::::::::::
I'm majoring in Software Engineering, so I know how to program. To compare things with a greater than or less than sign ">" or "<" - you need to implement an interface (don't bother trying to know what that means) that deems them "comparable" - then define the specifications which makes them comparable.
For example, if the comparison is lowest 1/4 mile time, then:
K20 Civic > S2000
If the comparison is best roadster, then:
K20 Civic < S2000

It's all based on the means of comparison. You say "compare an ap1/2 to a k20 civic hatch" - to which I say "By what means are you asking us to compare it to?"
Old 11-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Syndacate
Put yourself in his shoes, him, a normal person that's not obsessed with civics - it's completely illogical. The S2K was constructed around performance. The civic was constructed around economy. Yeah, is it fun to be able to blow away an S2K in a drag race? Sure. Though if you're asking if I rather have a civic that has enough upgrades to beat a Lamborghini or rather have the Lamborghini - I'll take the Lambo, please. It's a completely different car, entirely comparing apples to oranges.

- FWD is better than RWD as an all year car (you need to garage an S2K in the winter if you live by me.
- Parts are cheaper as a daily driver for a civic than they are for an S2K (non-motor parts, I'm talking about).

Other than that, if I had a summer and a winter car, a winter FWD beater, I'd take the S2K in a heart beat. Sure, it may not be as quick in the 1/4 as the K20 swapped civic, but it's an entirely different class of vehicle.

RWD cars perform better and gain traction better than FWD cars (in general, we're excluding exceptions like Bisimoto's cars here). With that said, because the K20 makes most of its power up high, you can still launch it towards the lower end, and as long as you know how to drive it you'll have traction just fine. While it's true the traction will never be as good as you get from the S2K due to the fact that the S2k is RWD, if you know how to drive it it'll be fine. Though with that said, the S2K isn't the best drag machine IMO, either. It's a roadster, designed to "glide" through the turns at a decently fast speed. It is NOT a drag machine.

It is all about what you're looking for in a car. If you want speed, get the cheap, gutted out, bare bones POS light *** chassis civic with the K20 swap in there, and that's that. If you want a classy roadster, buy the S2K.

People just don't get it, and it confuses them, and that pisses me off, and unfortunately lots of the people dwell on this forum - it all goes back to one simple principle:
- You can make a civic as fast 0-60 as a Ferrari...but it's still NOT a Ferrari.

Same applies to civics vs S2K's, same applies to any kind of souped up, cheap car, vs a stock car of a completey different class.

Now this is 100% preference therefore really has no purpose in this forum. You like your K20 swapped civic better, he likes his S2K better, you'll both just have to deal with that. To him (a probably semi-reasonable person), the idea of dropping that much power into a civic seems completely stupid. Though if you mention to him that all you care about is your 1/4 time, then maybe he'll understand where you're coming from a little better - or maybe he won't, who knows. The idea is completely moronic unless the person:
A) Loves civics.

I'm majoring in Software Engineering, so I know how to program. To compare things with a greater than or less than sign ">" or "<" - you need to implement an interface (don't bother trying to know what that means) that deems them "comparable" - then define the specifications which makes them comparable.
K20 Civic > S2000
K20 Civic < S2000

It's all based on the means of comparison. You say "compare an ap1/2 to a k20 civic hatch" - to which I say "By what means are you asking us to compare it to?"
Well said, you actually did not start yelling this time it good to see a nice post like this, if only everybody answered this way.

I totally agree on everything he said Its fun to drop money in your economy box because its fun to you. It fun for me because i like it, I also like to dig through boxes of old papers and do research on ****, but someone might think thats crazy boring. Its all in the eye of the beholder if you want a good classy car that is all around nice get the s2k My best friend has one and i love driving it, but then again i love driving my civic because its just the way i feel.. I plan on buying his s2k when he buys a new car so I will have both one to play around with (the civic) and one to drive because its just a dam nice car.

The logical person would not understand why you would want a gutted pos thats fast, that makes nasty noises and is no where near luxurious when he or she could just buy a car designed for speed.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have your neighbor watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ud57AyC1s

All things considered, the S2000 is a better track car. Its chassis is stiffer, the engine is mounted in a better location (it is technically mid engined), and the suspension is a better design. However, driver skill nonetheless trumps all the advantages.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the comments

I think his attitude is because for one he is 27 years old and has been gradually going for a mature look to his lifestyle-

and the fact that he just got his car and is over excited about it (i would be too)

but i doubt that he will ever accept the fact that its a cool idea to build a civic hatch...

but then there is me.. a weird kid who goes to art school- and I dont care what other people think of me or what I drive-
Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM

s2k lost a tire. that suchs. i go with k20 hatch.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Syndacate

A) Loves civics.

K20 Civic > S2000
K20 Civic < S2000

Besides overexplaining a few points, this is a well-written dose of common sense. Java FTW.

To the OP, build your K20 Civic and have a blast. By the sounds of it, you would each have the car that suits your style and that's all that matters.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Syndacate

dont know where you from!! but around here all, hondas need a garage or they go missing......