Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Common problems with EKs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:25 AM
R32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common problems with EKs?

I was looking into purchasing an EK Hatch sometime in the future, but I'm trying to learn more first.

I was curious if anyone could list some common problems that I should be aware of or look for when buying a used EK hatch. I tried searching a little and checked the FAQ topic but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (R32)

the only thing i can think of is water in the tail lights and the headlights foging up
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (siblueg)

they tend to have window slider issues not a big deal but a royal pain in the a**
the window just comes off the track
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the headlights fogging up is a b*tch! But you can cure that by putting them in the oven and taking them apart, cleaning them really good, and resealing them with new silicone. That's what I did and they look great now. Also if you get a 96-98, the headlights are plastic and the outside of the lenses gets nasty over time, so you will need to clean that up too. Other than that I have had no problems whatsoever out of mine...other than the fact that it's slow. But you can fix that easy enough. Good luck on your search.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha /\ "its slow"

anyways, yeah the rear light's gasket thing were apparently overtightened from the factory, so you have to go buy new ones from honda, and then handtighten them. THat will stop the leak.

The leak generally is found because it will rain or something and then all the sudden your spare tire well had an inch or 2 of water in it.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Re: ({PBA}Threat)

Ive only had the issue with the window coming off the track. It really isnt a big deal but it is a bit of a pain in the *** to fix.

Not really a problem if youre shopping used, but in the future if you run a large swaybar in the back, 19mm or bigger, the subframe has a strong tendancy to rip out, so if you buy one, run an ASR or Comptech brace
There are pictures of that here, about halfway down the page. http://www.hondaswap.com/forum...st=25

grammar edit
Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, window
Old 02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Subframe tearout when you add a rear swaybar.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
R32

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Everything seems pretty easy to take care of. Though the subframe tearout sounds a bit harsh, but I can do a search to learn more about that.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont have to worry about the subframe, unless you add like a 22mm bar - and even then you can reinforce it to totally prevent that from happening
Old 02-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

exactly, the a-spec racing(asr) or comptech piece adds enough structural rigidity that tearout is all but impossible. asr sells bars with their brace, one kit even has a 32mm hollow bar- if it can take that, an itr 22mm is cake
Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (96hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblueg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing i can think of is water in the tail lights and the headlights foging up</TD></TR></TABLE>

i fix my windows every month at least...i get in there with lithium grease and silicon spray...this is a very common problem but only if u leave the car outside usually.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (swatteamtimmah)

I have had both problems with the tail light and the window coming off the track.......White Lithium grease on the window cured my problem(Knock on wood)....My headlights are aftermarket CTR bight offs....And they fooged up real bad.......Good luck with your future EK......
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by {PBA}Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha /\ "its slow"

anyways, yeah the rear light's gasket thing were apparently overtightened from the factory, so you have to go buy new ones from honda, and then handtighten them. THat will stop the leak.

The leak generally is found because it will rain or something and then all the sudden your spare tire well had an inch or 2 of water in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which rear light gaskets are you talking about? I think have that problem.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: (wwang924)

Slow seatbelt retraction
Old 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (macsmurray)

I've never had a problem with my windows, was this 96-98 only? Maybe its cause my hatch only has 47K on it

I wanna fix my leak problem when it warms up.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the window problem a ton of times, I have also fixed it on a couple of friends cars. Also have the fogging up on the headlights.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:29 PM

Mine is a 96, I dont know if the window thing is specific to 96-98 or if its all 6gen.

Both of the times i had the window problem were when i had drunk friends in the car and they tried to force the window down with their hands rather than using the power windows button right in front of them. My buddy Scott can be an *******, especially when he breaks my car.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:58 PM

Default R

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by macsmurray &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Slow seatbelt retraction </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. My seatbelts sometimes don't retract at all; I have to manually retract them.

Also, there's some kind of some leak on the passenger's side. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet since it's been rather elusive, but it's not a big problem. Just need to take out of the passenger side floor mat every once in a while when it rains so it doesn't stink up the car.

Ditto with the headlights. Mine get condensation in them, and they've got a layer of gunk on them from age.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.Power window motor would slow down specially on cold season
2.Window glass misalignment
3.Rearview mirror would not stay in one angle.

At least this is what i've encountered over the year i've owned my EJ8
Old 02-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: (macsmurray)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wwang924 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Which rear light gaskets are you talking about? I think have that problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 02-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (1cleanEJ8)

theft
Old 02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Common problems with EKs? (EeeJayEight)

for the people complaining about slow retraction of the seatbelts, Honda has a lifetime replacement at no charge on seat belts. Im gonna call the dealer tomorrow for mine, cause yea, they are slow to retract.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: (wwang924)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wwang924 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Which rear light gaskets are you talking about? I think have that problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>
There is a gasket behind the rear light (coupe and 4dr have one behind each portion of the light, so four in total, hb is just two in total cause the lights are one piece).
I had that problem too, but to change them and fix it, it's really easy. Just remove the light, then take off the old gasket, and put in the new one (bought from Honda).

I know the exhaust manifold cracking on y7's is a problem for sure. Literally happened to everyone I know with an ek (mine too). You can only see it if you remove the cover on the exhaust manifold, so do that cause it very well could be cracked.

Other problems that have been a problem for myself, as well as other people I know with ek's, are the crank seal and the oil pan gasket.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM

"for the people complaining about slow retraction of the seatbelts, Honda has a lifetime replacement at no charge on seat belts. Im gonna call the dealer tomorrow for mine, cause yea, they are slow to retract. "

Nice, I didn't know this, I will be going to the dealership tommorow, do you have anything to prove this incase they give me ****?

Quick Reply: Common problems with EKs?