Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........

First of all hello, and I hope this post finds all of you in good health.

A few of you may know that I recently got a white stock 92 VX.

I have been thinking about a swap like most of you do or one time did anyway... I am still not sure what I am going to go with but this is not related to this post in any way.

Once I get the swap, I will probably get rid of the 13" wheels. Here's comes the question:

Why do a lot of you care so much about spending $$$ on lips, mirrors, seats, oil caps etc etc.......

I work as an engineer so I am practical. IMO I would love to have a killer HB that looks no different than any other HB out there.

I do realize I will probably have to upgrade the stock exhaust but there is always a way to make it look stock.

Basically, why do you care so much how the car looks?

I am only interested in the performance. I would love to have itr seats, momo JDM wheel, ITR interior etc but why pay more $$$ than you have to?

Is there anyone in here with a 100% stock looking Honda with a swap? Just curious.

Spreading the Honda-Tech
Old 10-25-2002, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (2 B 4GO10)

It's a lot easier to spend small sums of money on things like lips etc. etc. then spending one large sum of money on a swap...
Old 10-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with most of what you've said. my car is my daily driver so i like for it to look semi-decent. as for $800 valve covers and such...that is a waste of money, but some people like to buy that ****. function over fashion is the best policy though.
Honda-Tech Member

This is the route i wish to follow, I'm currently playing with the VX engine, playful little mini-me, runs nice. Stock looking exhaust going with WS painted black can etc.. i want the car to move for me, not for people to look at.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, for me. Stock civics are uncomforatable, the seats in stock EKs suck.

As for steering wheel, I have just a sparco, but have you tried autocrossing with no power steering and a wheel with 4 spokes on it?

As for everything else....well stock rims suk, even SI's, too narrow. So I had to get Rota's and they are lighter as well.

When I first got my car almost exactly a year ago. I knew I was going to swap in a B18C5 from day one. So in preparation for that, all my money (and lots of it) went to suspension, brakes etc.

Everything else, I got really good deals on them that I couldn't pass up. 230 for CTR headlights (thanks EKrev), 150 for CTR grill (thanks Brad) and countless others.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Why don't you care how the car looks?

Old 10-25-2002, 11:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (B18C5-EH2)

I guess because it will never look like yours. So why even bother?
Old 10-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha

yeah, sleepers are cool and all, but they arent for me. I want something that looks "factory cool"(asthetically that is). Some wheels and a mild drop is all I need on the outside, aswell as a clean paintjob. I already have a swap, so I can now spend my money on a few other non performance parts.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:39 AM

I think seats, and steering wheel...not including some guages for engine isn't a bad investment. I mean you put all this money into your car for the engine and suspension (this should be done first btw imho) Then you might want to be comfortable why you drive your car right? I don't want no stinking wings or bodykits but that is just me. I think steats and steering wheel are nice investment...more comfort and weight reduction...also for good weight reduction then some light rims are a way to go too.

DEF

[Modified by deftones0817, 8:40 PM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (splitime)

Me I've alway's liked the look of certain things IE: CTR mirrors, CTR headlights, and other things that enhance the look of the car. For me i still haven't decided what direction I want to go with the motor. Either stay all motor , get a turbo, swap to a bigger motor. So untill I decide that I'll stick to some power adders and some appearence enhancements. Remember its only a waste of $ if you regret it later.

Every one has there own style and goals for there car. I know alot of people that have made there car look hella clean and its an automatic with 0 performance mods (mostly because they a scared their going to destroy thier engine or whatever )
Old 10-25-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally, i don't think that many people have the money to do swaps, or even the means to save up $2500-$5000 dollars. For many people saving up the kind of money would take years. So, visual do-dads are really the only option, unless your going to do minor performance upgrades (ie. i/h/e)

"I guess because it will never look like yours. So why even bother?"

My sentiments exactly.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Former Moderator

That's not what I meant my friend.

Aside from my paintjob there's not too much cosmetci **** that doesn't have a true purpose.

Seats?

They were free and they sit so much nicer than the stockies.

O.E front lip?

It keeps in line with the rest of the car - car looks incomplete to me without it. Might be one of the few looks-only pieces on the car.

Wheels/tires?

Functional. 205/50/15 Azenis aren't for looks, and the Rotas are light and cheap. No bragging status with $400.00 wheels and $78.00 tires, right?

Brakes?

Looks neato, but do I even need to state the functionalilty?

I mean really in the end if it's not my car I don't care what people do to theirs. where my problems are is when someone posts a pic of their car sitting low as hell and says it's rides and handles so much better, or that their wing adds necessary downforce, etc.

As far as lips, skirts, wings, etc. go I don't really care.

It's your car, your choice.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (stuckatworksi)

u gotta impress da chicks
Old 10-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Former Moderator

On a side note:

I really hope my car doesn't serve as a point of refernce that makes you actually discouraged to build your own car.

That's like saying I cannot afford an NSX so why even bother fixing up this shitty old Civic?

Do what you can afford and what makes you happy.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (phillydx)

cause we all have alittle ricer in us. hah

I do it cause I will look alittle different. Thats just me. I would spend the extra cash for a few body parts, just to look alittle different. No wild kits, but a lip or CTR wing makes you car different here. And other parts that we change out, is for a function, like rims, seats, wheels, gauges. they all serve a purpose.

The lips serve a purpose, it makes my hatch look gooddd
Its all opinion. As for your question, course you can make yours look stock and still have a swap. Swapping it just change that little POS engine in the engine bay. do that and nothing else. and youll look stock
Old 10-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a side note:

I really hope my car doesn't serve as a point of refernce that makes you actually discouraged to build your own car.

That's like saying I cannot afford an NSX so why even bother fixing up this shitty old Civic?

so are you trying to say your car is better than an NSX now or what Tom?
Old 10-25-2002, 11:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (smooz EK)

you guys are mostly right. Too many factors in the word performance

The other day, I was reading posts in the EG forum and some dude posted a pick of his EG. Looked good but had no swap. Maybe it was because he was a noobie, but a couple of regulars told him to go to the appearance forum..... which I though was unfair... anyway.....
Old 10-25-2002, 11:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

On a side note:

It doesn't. I t does make me want to save an extra $1000 to go with the C5 though
Old 10-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The way I see it, I'm in my car a-lot and i'd rather like the way it looks and know I put hard work into it's appearance as well as performance than to be just faster than somebody else but look the same. Ay, there's already enough civics out there to begin with. Plus, the way i look at it, appearance is the one thing you can be really different on. Performance wise, everbody has a swap, everbody has the same setup as far as engine mode, (There are some hella nice exceptions). So I see it as just a factor of you wanting your engine to perform better for personal reasons and not for racing other cars. Ay, It's just me but I respect a car with appearance work done and performance more than a stock car with a B-serice engine it. But all that is just me!!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:07 PM

Different strokes for different folks I guess,I have a 95 coupe,body kit,stereo,leather interior,b16a3 swap,t3 intercooled turbo charged with all the gooodies.Its fast enough,its not a drag car but its my daily driver,its very comfortable,fast enough to take mustangs and looks nice,thats what i wanted,now on the other hand,I just bought a 90 crx si with no motor and plan on swapping in a b18 and turboing it,it will be pretty much stripped and gutted,bare esentials,it really just depends on your own goals and what you want to gain,I have one civic for the honeys and to show off (to the non honda based crowd) and one for racing and to show off to the honda fans.I dont think id ever get a car and just drive it and not want to make it look better or run better.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (WAFFLES)

Say Car RAMROD
Bwahahaha... That movie was the ****!
Old 10-25-2002, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (YumVTEC)

dude....asking why one would rather do looks than performance is like asking why someone likes this certain type of music than another....people have different interests..not everyone is like you where you only wanna make cars go fast. This topic is way to subjective...you see it...all these responses are of people saying," oh, well, i like to have this and this..." its always different..

i have a 92 VX also, but i'm a poor *** college student...(studying to be a mechanical engineer) and even tho i'm an engineer like you, i still like to make my car look alright...(i'll admit it..i sport the amber lenses...)but thats about it on looks...i have the car on a set of prokits...with kybs...and thats all i can afford now...once my motor dies i'll swap it...cuz i have to, so i'll upgrade..thats all...let people do what makes them happy...damn, this is a long reply...
Old 10-25-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (RichardKim57)

Some of us just want to impress the ladies with our MaD JDm FlaVA!!

Truthfully, there is no reason for me to have a car that looks like a piece of crap. I'd rather have something that I'm proud to drive than something that looks just like any other Civic out there.

I mean, c'mon, there are 4987.8 million Civics out there, what's wrong with trying to distinguish yours from every one elses?

Call me a riceboy for adding cosmetic items to my car, but my performance items greatly outnumber the crap that I've bought for the outside.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (fowler)

Why do some people choose Coke over Pepsi? It's all a matter of choice. Some people prefer to look good instead of performance.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........ (dwnthehatch)

Why do some people choose Coke over Pepsi? It's all a matter of choice. Some people prefer to look good instead of performance.
Cause Coke is better. Sheesh, we all know that

Quick Reply: Come in, sit down, and hear me out guys........