Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades???

I finally got around to doing some meaningful work on my car (95).
now has agx's all around and they ride pretty good. The springs are stock.

I want this car to handle really well.
There is still body roll and the car rides at stock height. I can't really take curves with a lot of confidence. My old ef was stock and i really threw it around.

In the pics you will see i am missing a sway bar. Do i need a sway bar?
If i drop the car will it improve handling on the highway? I have neuspeed race springs ready. if i do need one ... Does any one have si/ex lower control arms with the holes for the sway bar front and rear? How do i attach the bar to the chassis (i looked it up can't really tell from pics)?
Also if i don't think a stock sway bar will work on a dropped car because it will bend more. true?

Also i have a polyurethane bushing set. I want to put that on to improve the handling as well.
Are there any other components I should replace to impove the handling and control overall?
Any better rack and pinion sets that people can install on civics w/o ps?

thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (lamacchina)

and also
camber kit and alignment or just an alignment?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (lamacchina)

The reason you car still feels not confidence inspiring is becuase of the stock springs, if you get some harder springs on there it will definely increase the hi speed feeling confidence and low speeed as well. Defiently get the springs before the anti-roll bar however or your likely to rip up your rear subframe

You dont' need a camber kit if you don't lower the car, but if/when you put the race springs on it you probobly will need a camber kit.

Quafie has a faster rack for our cars, I'm definetly getting one of them some day, these things got ridiculous steering ratios stock.

Stock anti-roll bars are pretty soft and with hard springs they aren't going to be doing a whole lot since they won't get much of an angle to them. I'm not exactly sure how to mount an anti roll bar on a car not equipped with one, have you looked if there is already holes for it?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (red91sit)

ur gonna have to lower the car if u want it to handle. This will lower the center of gravity and decrease the body roll. Sway bars will help too.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (rukawa1one)

do not get a camber kit,
they're effing useless, and you'll get better handling without one.

get yourself some medium springs,
like HR sports, (I can't recommend aggressive springs on agx's, as I've had
them and they are not very durable).

and yes, swaybars definetely.
for your application i'd say get the suspension techniques kit front and rear.

your car will handle like a dream after all that
Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (red91sit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rukawa1one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur gonna have to lower the car if u want it to handle. This will lower the center of gravity and decrease the body roll. Sway bars will help too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well i am going to lower it with the neuspeeds. This is probably not the greatest setup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
for your application i'd say get the suspension techniques kit front and rear.
your car will handle like a dream after all that </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red91sit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Defiently get the springs before the anti-roll bar however or your likely to rip up your rear subframe
Stock anti-roll bars are pretty soft and with hard springs they aren't going to be doing a whole lot since they won't get much of an angle to them. I'm not exactly sure how to mount an anti roll bar on a car not equipped with one, have you looked if there is already holes for it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen the suspension techniques... I thought the stock ones would do the same job. I will see which one I can get my hands on.
What type of springs do you need to prevent "ripping" the subframe?

thanks for the replies any other suggestions?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking about getting agx's but havent yet due to a lack of money. my tanabe DF210's came in today so im waiting for them to get put on. if you want springs i would get the tanabes. i got mine for 165 shipped. still dont know if they are stiff, soft, what..?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (spoon_ferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon_ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking about getting agx's but havent yet due to a lack of money. my tanabe DF210's came in today so im waiting for them to get put on. if you want springs i would get the tanabes. i got mine for 165 shipped. still dont know if they are stiff, soft, what..?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have used alot of Tanabe Sustec springs and I love them for the price. I have the GF210 springs with the AGX's and that is a really good street setup. I also love the old school Tanabe Sustec Super Down Precedeo with the AGX's that is a pretty good handling setup for the money also.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamacchina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i am going to lower it with the neuspeeds. This is probably not the greatest setup.

I have seen the suspension techniques... I thought the stock ones would do the same job. I will see which one I can get my hands on.
What type of springs do you need to prevent "ripping" the subframe?

thanks for the replies any other suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ST rear bar is only 19mm,
which is a good deal smaller than the 22mm's that rip out ppls subframes.

but still if you're worried, you could go with something else.
the SRR rear sway is pretty good, has a nice tiebar that reinforces your subframe,
and is cheap.
Then you can just pick whatever front bar you want, ST bar is good,
oem honda is good too, both 21mm.

if money is no object, you could grab yourself a big 22mm,
ones that are good(high quality and come with subframe reinforcement)
are the ST speedtech rear bar, Comptech bar, A-spec bar.
all are very high qual and aroudn 300bux each
Old 02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (Tad)

When i adjust the agx its actually a good change in damping you feel the difference in the front of the car the most. I got a good deal on them that why i got em.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the ST rear bar is only 19mm,
which is a good deal smaller than the 22mm's that rip out ppls subframes.
but still if you're worried, you could go with something else.
the SRR rear sway is pretty good, has a nice tiebar that reinforces your subframe,
and is cheap.
Then you can just pick whatever front bar you want, ST bar is good,
oem honda is good too, both 21mm.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK i could do that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have used alot of Tanabe Sustec springs and I love them for the price. I have the GF210 springs with the AGX's and that is a really good street setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

GF210? does that keep stock ride height?

Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Reason that the stock springs have a chance of subframe ripout is becasue they are so soft, with alot of weight transfer and spring travel, putting a ton of stress on the rear sway bar attached to the subframe. unless you get a reinforcement kit of some sort...try not to go cheap do an asr or comptech, bsq/ beaks have horror stories...the better ones integrate a tie bar into it making it very had to get a sub frame tear.

To install them you will need integra/civic si (maybe ex i dunno) lca's. the endlinks on the sway bar mount to the lca's..there is another bracket that goes onto the subframe (you have an eg right?) and then the sway bar "c" brackets bolt up to them. very easy to do. there are holes in your subframe right now..with threaded nuts on the back but they are uneven, this is why you need the bracket..its midnight...hopefully this makes sense
Old 02-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to install a sway bar onto your EG/EJ you'll need to find yourself integra (DC) LCA's or drill your stockers like i did. to mount it, you'll need to fit some spacers onto the mounts (unless the bar was made for your car) cuz the EK swaybar mounts are pretty flat compared to the EG's minor 's-curve' subframe mounting holes.

i've only seen pics of EK subframes ripping, not EG ones. anyone confirm?

here's a pic of the Skunk2 21mm bar on my EJ1: *knock on wood, no rips*

Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (GS8HFL21)

cool I am going to post wtb on the classifieds now.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is very off track, and i apologize, but is that a cherry bomb i see on your exhaust?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (hctjohnson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hctjohnson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is very off track, and i apologize, but is that a cherry bomb i see on your exhaust?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is the apex-i world sport exhaust. It's a catback and comes with a resonater.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mashimaro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've only seen pics of EK subframes ripping, not EG ones. anyone confirm?

here's a pic of the Skunk2 21mm bar on my EJ1: *knock on wood, no rips*

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you think a em1 chassis is strong enough to not use a reinforcement kit or tie bar with a sway bar? If I'm correct that is the only EK that I know of that comes with a rear sway. Someone correct me but EX's don't come with rear sways?

thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (Lil Corb)

HCTJOHNSON was talking about the cherrybomb on LAMACCHINA's car...the first pics
Old 02-16-2005, 06:16 PM

got ya, sorry for the mis info.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamacchina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In the pics you will see i am missing a sway bar. Do i need a sway bar?
If i drop the car will it improve handling on the highway? I have neuspeed race springs ready. if i do need one ... Does any one have si/ex lower control arms with the holes for the sway bar front and rear? How do i attach the bar to the chassis (i looked it up can't really tell from pics)?
Also if i don't think a stock sway bar will work on a dropped car because it will bend more. true?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

why in the world did you not install your springs when you already had the suspension apart?? and honestly, do you do a lot of handling on the highway? i just kinda drive in a straight line when i'm on the highway.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (Lil Corb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lil Corb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that is the apex-i world sport exhaust. It's a catback and comes with a resonater.

Do you think a em1 chassis is strong enough to not use a reinforcement kit or tie bar with a sway bar? If I'm correct that is the only EK that I know of that comes with a rear sway. Someone correct me but EX's don't come with rear sways?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm pretty sure the EM1 (Si/SiR) has the same subframe as a regular EK. I guy i know has ripped his EM1 subframe and is now looking for a shop to weld on the new CTR subframe, so it's possible....

there's a lot of factors involved when it comes to ripped subframes. there's guys on this board that have ripped subframes with the Beak's reinforcement kit as well.
i guess it's a risk you'll have to take if you want one bad enough.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:43 AM

good info ^

To reduce the chance of the subframe ripping wouldn't it be better to pair up the sway (22mm) of ITR with a high spring rate?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold weather DIY... Do I need a sway bar??... handling upgrades??? (Train)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Train &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why in the world did you not install your springs when you already had the suspension apart?? and honestly, do you do a lot of handling on the highway? i just kinda drive in a straight line when i'm on the highway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe cuz i am still not ready to go racing and there are a lot of other parts of the car that need to get upgraded... in the meantime i can only live with NJ potholes with the stock height.... i can change em later.

I don't know what my exhaust is. i have never worked on the exhaust. let me guess your going to say "well you better start!"
Old 02-25-2005, 02:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamacchina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
When i adjust the agx its actually a good change in damping you feel the difference in the front of the car the most. I got a good deal on them that why i got em.

OK i could do that.

GF210? does that keep stock ride height?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well no, the GF210 springs lower just about 1.5 inches, here is a picture of my GF210 on AGX's on my 96 civic hatch. It doesn't lower it alot but it is about right for street driving you shouldn't scrap on to much.