Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cold engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold engine problem

Okay, I searched and searched but could not find this problem on here.

Got a Civic DX HB w/stock engine and tranny, but modiffied exhaust (not sure which, this is how I got the car). When I first start it after it sat for a while and cooled down (couple of hours or better), the engine feels like there is a mis or something, and it sound like I am driving a lawn mower, but 2 minutes later, it smoothes out. I'm about to tune this puppy, since the last owner said he didn't... plugs, wires, etc...

Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold engine problem (wagonis)

in the winter time its gonna make alittle noise after sittin awhile.. u have to give the motor a chance to get that oil up into the lifters.. thats why it prob sounds ok after a few minutes. thats also why alot of people stress letting ur car warm up a few minutes before leaving in the cold temps
Old 01-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Cold engine problem (jayare05)

But that's the thing, I live in Florida, and the last few days it's been in the 80's. I know letting the car warm up is a good thing, but I think this is more then just that.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM

how many miles is on the car? might need a valve adjustment, and tune up.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Cold engine problem (2lua)

I got 124,348 miles on my car... although strange thing happened this morning, and it did not do it, it ran smooth after I fired it up.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:58 AM

I don't really understand from your description but let me try to guess...

Your car is working on 3 cylinders??? and then aftera few seconds it fires up 4th cylinder...

It happens to me also... only when it's relly really cold... it happens to me for 2 years now... when spring comes, the problem goes away...

I never discovered what is causing it... I think it can be few things... lubrication (oil too thick), sparkplug wires (but not the sparkplugs cos I changed them and it was still happening), fuel filter, injectors...

But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.. like I said, it is hapening to me for 2 years now and car still runs strong... one day it starts on 3 cylinders and the other day starts normally... ONLY DURING THE WINTER...

Just keep in mind NOT TO TRY PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL OR DRIVE LIKE THAT...

When you start the car, just let it idle until it fires up the 4th cylinder, wait for 10-20 seconds and start driving...

DO NOT DRIVE ON 3 CYLINDERS...

And if you decide to try to repair that, let me know if you succeed...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Cold engine problem (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just keep in mind NOT TO TRY PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL OR DRIVE LIKE THAT...

When you start the car, just let it idle until it fires up the 4th cylinder, wait for 10-20 seconds and start driving...

DO NOT DRIVE ON 3 CYLINDERS...

And if you decide to try to repair that, let me know if you succeed...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I need a bit of a re-fresher course here, left the auto industry 6 years ago in favor of an IT job... what's the big deal about smacking down the gas before the car warms up?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:48 PM

well from what i hear vtec can't kick in because it senses a certain temperature to engage but besides that i am pretty clueless about why you can't floor it when the motor is cold. All i know is that when you try the car runs like ****. so i don't do it
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Cold engine problem (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well from what i hear vtec can't kick in because it senses a certain temperature to engage</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, I don't have a VTEC, I got a stock DX engine.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Does your car give like a soft poping sound? Because that is how my car is on cold starts. It starts to pop then smooths out after it warms up. I would like some help too.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 PM

that popping noise is a shitty exhaust
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: (Morning Call)

No, it's not a popping noise, it just really sounds like a misfire.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wagonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I need a bit of a re-fresher course here, left the auto industry 6 years ago in favor of an IT job... what's the big deal about smacking down the gas before the car warms up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the big deal... but THE BIG DEAL IS IF YOU SMACK THE GAS WHEN THE CAR IS WORKING ON 3 CYLINDERS...

And that is what is happening to this guy... and I know it cos IT HAPPENS TO ME...

Believe me I know what I am talking about...

2AUTHOR

When you want to start he car, the starter turns slower than usual and that is normal if it is cold outside...

The car starts but it is not smooth, RIGHT??? if you push the gas pedal, engine revs up but it sounds like tractor... that's because one of your cylinders DIDN'T FIRE UP PROPERLY...

After a while (10-20 seconds) engine starts to work properly... RIGHT?

It's your cylinder, 99%...

And do not worry, you cannot f*ck up anything... just don't drive on 3 cylinders...

Let the engine fire up the 4th cylinder and then start driving... it always starts to work normally after 10-20 seconds... and in the spring, problem will go away...