Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 civic ex, dashboard lights not working after cd player installation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 civic ex, dashboard lights not working after cd player installation.

So, I took out my stock cd player and install a JVC cd player.

I ****ed up and the power wire was touching everything, I finally got it installed but now my tail lights dont come on and neither does my dashboard lights.

I checked the fuses and fixed the fuses for my tail lights and now they work fine. but I cant seem to get the dashboard lights working. The dashboard lights are under "instrument lights" fuse correct? the fuse is fine but i changed out the fuse as well and still have no luck. anyone have any other ideas what fuse it might be under? or any other reason it might not work?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 00 civic ex, dashboard lights not working after cd player installation.

To fix the taillights, you replaced fuse 32 under the dash. Now check whether fuse 30 under the dash is blown.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic ex, dashboard lights not working after cd player installation.

sorry been busy the last couple of day..

but I have literally checked EVERY fuse under the hood and inside car as well except the big fuses the box looking one as i dont know how to check if those are blown.

so im guessing its not a blown fuse.

is there any other logical possible reason they would not be working? when i google the problem, most people say its the dimmer switch if its not a fuse. hmmm opinions?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Check the illumination wire on the cd player wiring harness, it should be orange. It is most likely grounding out. I had the same problem in my crx.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all your connections on your cd player as well.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you plugged in the harnesses if it applies to you ... that go on the plastic piece underneath the steering wheel
Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unite
Check the illumination wire on the cd player wiring harness, it should be orange. It is most likely grounding out. I had the same problem in my crx.
Sigh, I have spent so much time on this. I rechecked all the wiring and it all looks good, but still doesn't work. Then I tried unwiring everything to make sure nothing was grounding it out. So every wire has nothing connected to it and is not touching anything. but still the all the dashlights are out, cluster/ac/heater lights.. and the fuses are still ALL good?

so i dont think anything is grounding it out. anything else you think i should check?

Angel_i: I never touched anything under my steering wheel column, so i don't think anything could be unplugged there?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unite
I had that problem in my old EG a few wires were cut for some reason before ,soldered, and taped but the tape came off and it was touching the screw in there or something. I installed the head unit and WTF my lights dont work, clock doesnt show up in the dash. Pulled it out and taped up all the wires again and it still didnt work. For some reason I was getting low power so I ran an accesorry wire from where the fuse box is under the steering column and tid it into the power wire for the head unit and all of a sudden my ights worked again. start checking your voltage. who knows why mine was low all of a sudden that car scared me at times good thing i got rid of it.

Last edited by FlewByU352; 08-09-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: more info i forgot