Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cold air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake question

I am thinking about buying a cold air intake, not for performance or anything because of my lack of money for other parts, but for improved gas mileage. Do could air intakes really improve your gas mileage, and if so, why don't car companies include them on their cars? or is there some negative effect to them?

I know this is probably a lame question but I'm new to cars so.....

Thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: cold air intake question (jerm001)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerm001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do could air intakes really improve your gas mileage, and if so, why don't car companies include them on their cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Not really
2. They are loud

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerm001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there some negative effect to them?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep...if you drive though a puddle this happens:
Old 02-22-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: cold air intake question (BauleyCivic)

wow--
Old 02-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an intake will probably decrease your milage... more air = more fuel consumed
Old 02-22-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an intake will probably decrease your milage... more air = more fuel consumed</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's correct.
Spending money to save money is not really an option in modding a car.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:18 PM

more power = more gas
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intake question (GrRrr)

i believe if you drive normally, an intake will improve your gas mileage. however, everyone who gets one usually drives harder (cuz it's fun when you have an intake). thus, the gas mileage tends to get worse.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Re: cold air intake question (Braco11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Braco11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe if you drive normally, an intake will improve your gas mileage. however, everyone who gets one usually drives harder (cuz it's fun when you have an intake). thus, the gas mileage tends to get worse.</TD></TR></TABLE>
?????
Old 02-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerm001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking about buying a cold air intake, not for performance or anything because of my lack of money for other parts, but for improved gas mileage. Do could air intakes really improve your gas mileage, and if so, why don't car companies include them on their cars? or is there some negative effect to them?

I know this is probably a lame question but I'm new to cars so.....

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your not after big performance gains try a K&N drop in replacement. this will give you some gain, and also improve mileage somewhat. that is unless you want some bling under the hood.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: cold air intake question (Huggy Bear)

What people said about more power meaning worse gas mileage is false. For instance, if you install a small turbo with mild boost, about what the engine can run on reliably in stock form, you will dramatically increase your gas mileage. Other than proper maintenance or rehabilitating the engine, this is the most effective way to increase gas mileage. Another thing you can do is advance the ignition timing.

A CAI theoretically increases your gas mileage but not significantly. No telling how long it takes for it to pay for itself, but probably longer than the life of the car. A combination of intake, header, and exhaust bolt ons, if matched up properly, along with polishing the intake manifold and port matching, will make for a small but significant increase in mileage.

I don't want to hear a single person mention weight, cuz the truth is, 400lbs weight reduction = 1 mpg.

Car companies will do anything to shave 1 or 2 cents off the price of manufacturing their cars. How much do you think a racing intake would cost them?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cai fuel I think the good out weighs the bad!!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cold air intake question (98silvercivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98silvercivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cai fuel I think the good out weighs the bad!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

if that were true they would come on cars from the factory........or maybe millions of dollars in R&D doesn't really matter!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intake question (95cxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if that were true they would come on cars from the factory........or maybe millions of dollars in R&D doesn't really matter! </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's an ignorant statement. Millions of dollars in research was spent, by Honda. And guess what they found... The large majority of people like comfort. The answers to why they dont come from the factory with a CAI are simple.

1. Cost... plastic molded intake is cheap
2. Reliability, there is no chance in hell that with your factory airbox, you will suck up rain watter and hydro-lock your engine. It's designed around that.
3. The big suprise.......stock intake is allmost silent. Quiet=comfort, and comfort sells cars, flat out.

Simple huh?

Rob
Old 02-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cold air intake question (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's an ignorant statement. Millions of dollars in research was spent, by Honda. And guess what they found... The large majority of people like comfort. The answers to why they dont come from the factory with a CAI are simple.

1. Cost... plastic molded intake is cheap
2. Reliability, there is no chance in hell that with your factory airbox, you will suck up rain watter and hydro-lock your engine. It's designed around that.
3. The big suprise.......stock intake is allmost silent. Quiet=comfort, and comfort sells cars, flat out.

Simple huh?

Rob</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes that is right .....and that is what i just said!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
sohcvtec66

Default Re: cold air intake question (Huggy Bear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if your not after big performance gains try a K&N drop in replacement. this will give you some gain, and also improve mileage somewhat. that is unless you want some bling under the hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what are u talking about m buddy has a 1st gen jdm b16a in his crx hf, and he used a chrome 3inch tube, but instead of a aftermarket filter ,he used the stock air box, with the bottom cut out with a spoon drop in filter, and gas is good, vtec is way louder than a tube and cone filter, he gained more bottom end..

goodluck
Old 02-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cold air intake question (95cxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes that is right .....and that is what i just said!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh maybe I missunderstood, sorry.

Rob
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: cold air intake question (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What people said about more power meaning worse gas mileage is false. For instance, if you install a small turbo with mild boost, about what the engine can run on reliably in stock form, you will dramatically increase your gas mileage. Other than proper maintenance or rehabilitating the engine, this is the most effective way to increase gas mileage. Another thing you can do is advance the ignition timing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems to mee that I've heard this before too, doesn't mean it's true, but w/ logic you can at least make it sound feasable. What I mean is that with less restrictions on the intake, the engine will theoretically make more power at lower RPMS; therefore it will make more efficiant power and if the car is driven carefully it should get better gas milliage. It probably won't be enough to get excited over, but every little bit helps
Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerm001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking about buying a cold air intake, not for performance or anything...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're not looking for any performance then there's no reason in hell you need a CAI. Too much risk of hydrolocking. If you want a different intake just get a short ram tube with a K&N cone filter.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: cold air intake question (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What people said about more power meaning worse gas mileage is false. For instance, if you install a small turbo with mild boost, about what the engine can run on reliably in stock form, you will dramatically increase your gas mileage. Other than proper maintenance or rehabilitating the engine, this is the most effective way to increase gas mileage. Another thing you can do is advance the ignition timing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I installed a small turbo on my car and my gas mileage is crap now.....is this comment based on experience? And also when I installed my CAI I got horrible gas mileage too just because that thing sounds so bad *** when you open it up...haha but really if you want better gas mileage get a tune up
Old 02-23-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: cold air intake question (95excoupe)

next time search before you ask!