Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs?

I want to drop my car, around 1.75 - 2 inches. What should i use? Coilovers or Lowering Springs? Im kind of new, so i dont really know the difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs?

lowering springs are better for your stock struts. They only way coilovers are good if you change the struts to performance struts. I mean coilovers will work on stock struts but stock struts arent made fro the spring rate of coilovers and often times will destroy stock struts. So i would go with lowering springs. you wont beable to adjust the ride hight with lowering springs which you can with coilovers but you wont blow your struts out either.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get coilovers. Lowering springs do the job of the look but after a while they can blow your shocks.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
lowering springs are better for your stock struts. They only way coilovers are good if you change the struts to performance struts. I mean coilovers will work on stock struts but stock struts arent made fro the spring rate of coilovers and often times will destroy stock struts. So i would go with lowering springs. you wont beable to adjust the ride hight with lowering springs which you can with coilovers but you wont blow your struts out either.
this
Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on what you mean FULL coilovers that come with struts will be the best route but The Cheapo Sleave coilovers will blow your struts. I did that with a set so i have Regular lowering springs and my struts are fine
Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on what you mean FULL coilovers that come with struts will be the best route but The Cheapo Sleave coilovers will blow your struts. I did that with a set so i have Regular lowering springs and my struts are fine
And you still have stock shocks?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced my shocks with OEM replacement shocks but i do have stock rated shocks on lowering springs
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced my shocks with OEM replacement shocks but i do have stock rated shocks on lowering springs
Yeah, thats what i meant. So how does it ride? What springs do you have? i was planning on getting some Teins.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IT rides very nicely actually I have Tiens and combined with stock shocks it rides pretty much as nice as stock im happy with it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this topic has been covered thousands of times..

just remember this.. If you plan on going over 1.5" then youll need aftermarket shocks. Koni yellows are on sale for 250+ on their site. Some have had good luck and their stock shocks havent blown, but a set which will match your springs will give a great ride.

If your going to a full coilover, then it is recommended they get balanced to get the full effect out of them. Dont just slap em on roll out cuz 90% of the time, they will ride like ****.

Edit: A buddy of mine has Tein S tech springs for sale..http://www.ej8squad.com/thread-14301.html

80 + shipping
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it depends on if you change your wheels out alot like some people do. I.E. different sizes. if you get coilovers, full coilovers that is, you can adjust the height of the car to better fit different wheels/sizes of tires

but if you are going tokeep a set of wheels i would just get a good set of lowering springs that will give the drop you want

personally i would avoid the egay sleeveovers. they suck *** lol and seem to wear out quickly and get all bounce and ride like poop. however, my friend had the skunk2 sleeveovers and they rode very well. i was actually surprised

personally i would just get a set of full coilovers either way and call it a day
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, cool. I mean, dont get me wrong, i would like to replace my shocks too, but i only have enough for the springs.

and with coilovers your talking $1000+.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Retired Moderator

good coils start at 630 shipped
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ossman14
personally i would avoid the egay sleeveovers. they suck *** lol and seem to wear out quickly and get all bounce and ride like poop. however, my friend had the skunk2 sleeveovers and they rode very well. i was actually surprised

personally i would just get a set of full coilovers either way and call it a day
Yeah my hatch now is riding on some eGay sleeveovers. The kid I bought it from had them on there. Looking to get Full coilovers now...thinking Blox Full Coilovers or something down that line.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mild lowering doesn't kill stock shocks as much as lowering+increased spring rates. I know everyone (including myself) says don't lower on stock shocks, but it has more to do with spring rates than with the ride height.

When you're talking about coilovers, there are 2 very different things that people typically call 'coilovers.' The first are the 'spring on a sleeve' type, like Ground Controls. These are not true coilovers, they're a spring on a sleeve. Most suck, a few are okay. Ground Controls are good. Depending on spring rates, you'll need upgraded shocks to run most of them.

The other type are a full coilover setup with a matched damper (shock) built into a single unit with the spring. These are typically pretty expensive. There are some cheaper (like around $650-800) brands, but personally, I'd rather run with a good conventional setup than a cheap coilover. Some people swear by some of the cheaper brands, and I think a few of them have acceptable quality, but it sounds like they're more than you want to spend.

For a cheap drop of 1.75-2", your best bet is Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs and Koni Reds. Yellows are adjustable while on the car which is nice... you can adjust the reds, but you have to remove them from the car to do it.

The reds have perfectly acceptable rates as long as you're not slammed. In fact, the curves are fairly comparable to the yellows, except the yellows adjust a bit higher. If you're only dropped 2", you won't need as much damping as the yellows are capable of.

So, save a bit of cash and get the Koni Reds. I've been talking up this setup for a couple years as the best cheap decent lowering you can do on a Civic.

Alternatively, some people have had good luck running stock ITR springs with Koni Yellows on the low perch. That will probably drop you about 1-1.5", and should also ride and handle pretty well. I haven't actually ridden on this setup yet, but a friend of mine is doing this in his EG, so I'll know pretty soon. Downside is that it costs about as much as the Eibach/Reds combo due to the yellows being expensive.

DON'T FORGET TO GET AN ALIGNMENT!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ I agree

But i have the Function & form Type 1, i got them corner balanced and i love em.. Most who say things about cheaper coilover sets dont get them balanced and they ride like ****.
Mine were bouncy and all over the place when i was waiting to get them balanced, after that they were smooth as butter. With my sway set up, i could take curves alot faster and still be in control.

edit: keep in mind, i did the ta[e measure thing with the instructions, they still rode like crap!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had good luck with the Tiens they ride very close to my stock springs. I have some grandma shocks a set of Monroe sensitrack shocks so the ride is like a regular car vs a jolty ride. Around here there are no local vendors for aftermarket shocks and i did not have an enough money on my card to order them offline so i just went with Monroe for now. cant say i regret it tho they ride great.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if thats the only amount you want to drop buy some skunk2 or neuspeed race springs and then some decent struts and you will be good to go. coilovers are good if you want to slam or want to able to adjust.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never had them corner balanced....can you go into more detail about what that entails?however coilovers arent 1k. you should be able to find some local forf 5-600.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinkin just the same and finally decided to get lowering springs. I recently purchased skunk2 springs and am planning on simply throwing them on the stock shocks. Skunk2 says there should be no problem when using stock shocks, im sure they'll blow sooner but it'll still last a decent while im sure, ill save up for the shocks in the mean time
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by ossman14
never had them corner balanced....can you go into more detail about what that entails?however coilovers arent 1k. you should be able to find some local forf 5-600.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+corner+balancing
Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so lowering springs it is. But do i absolutely need shocks too?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyskater510
Alright, so lowering springs it is. But do i absolutely need shocks too?
like i said, skunk2 says they are not absolutely necessary, they will just wear down faster than normal
Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow came from the 240 world and a thing that we always did when the same question was presented over and over again is tell the OP SEARCH!!! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION IT"S THERE FOR A REASON!!!!!! I'm a noob here and I' haven't posted anything new or ask any new questions because most of my ?s can be answered by searching. /Rant
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

With as mild of a drop that you want stock shocks should be ok for now. If we talking a tein, eibach spring . Spring rates aren't increase too much. You will need aftermarket shocks sooner or later. It took me 3 months to blow my stocks with a 3.5 inch drop and 650lb springs

Quick Reply: Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs?