Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers?

i have a 92 civic cx and i wanna lower it

do i have to buy a camber kit if i just buy coilovers?

any suggestions on what i should do ?
im thinking about lowering it prolly like 1 inch or 1.5 inches..

mainly for looks and also for slightly better control

Are ebay coilovers bad?
are they legal?

anything else I should know?
[[sorry im total noob ]]
Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Coilovers? (HBRIDER)

Dont get ebay coilovers! They suck extemely. If you just want a 1-1.5" drop, i would say get some eibach sportline springs, and i dont think you would need a camber kit since your not going really low.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Coilovers? (z6hatchboy)

If you only plan on such a small drop and you don't plan on going lower in the future you can just get some name brand lowering springs. If your not on a tight budget, plan on going lower in the future or want more adjust ability then go with coil overs. If you want your alignment to be perfect then even with such a small drop your still going to need a camber kit.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Your search for lowering my car returned 147 results.

Your search for coilovers returned 580 results.

Your search for suggestions about lowering returned 6 results.

Your search for ebay coilovers returned 78 results.

Starting to get the picture? I know your a noob and im just trying to help you out early. Search or you will get flamed
Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of driving are you planning?

If you are a normal daily driver only and do not mind a bumpy ride, the ebay coil overs are fine. If installed properly and riding at a good height, they are just as safe as any other after market piece. When I mean a good height, I mean lower your car to when there is about 1 inch gap between your fender and tires. Lowering it any lower I cannot guaranteed a safe ride. I been running on ebay coils for about 3 years now, on 4 different cars. I do not aim for pure handling, some of the roads in my area are old and very bumpy, and over the years of abuse on stock shocks, I find no problems. I will admit it is a bumpy ride though, again, if you don't mind the bumpy and you are a normal driver; ebay coils are not as bad as what people are claiming. I wouldn't take them on auto cross or rely on them for heavy handling performance but for normal situation, I never had a single problem. For 40 bucks or so, nothing is cheaper.

If you want a bit more comfort, go with springs.
Springs might give you a bit more handling assurance. They are not adjustable and most of them do not offer a very low drop because it is unsafe to ride your car too low anyways. If you take corners at quick speed, or planning to once in a while grip the road, then these might be a good idea considering they are affordable and they do provide some handling performance.

If you want custom settings and full control over your suspension then full coil-overs suspension is what you want. These cost a good amount, but they provide excellent handling performance if you know what you are doing.

Those are your choices, Good luck and stay safe.

*Note, all the cars that is running the ebay coils are running with stock arms, no camber kits and at the height I'm lowering them at; alignment is normal and tread wear on the tires are also normal.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

Just get some lowering springs, and no you don't need a camber kit. Just get an alignment afterwards. Tons of companies make springs for your needs....Tein, H&R, Neuspeed, Eibach, etc....