Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers

which coilovers r good .......im rocken lowerd one but i want adjustable ones i found some call dropzone r they any good there 100 dollars 4 the set
Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coilovers (ser13)

dropzone sucks.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coilovers (RARE_EG2)

$100 dollars for the set, that should answer your question<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RARE_EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dropzone sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: coilovers (RARE_EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RARE_EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dropzone sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

similar to A Piece of Crap aka APC Never go cheap on suspension. Ground Control is the way to go if you want adjustable
Old 11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ground control is the way to go if you want sleeves, but I wouldn't recommend those anyways. I know people have some good experiences, but a good shock/spring combo or a monotube coilover system is the way to go.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coilovers (Lord Helmet)

Dude spend the money on some, Apex N1, HKS hypermax RS, or even (i cant belive im saying this) but Tein Flex. thats the best way to go. fully adjustable streetable and good enough for the track, plus they are safe and the way suspension is suposed to be.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ground control is the way to go if you want sleeves, but I wouldn't recommend those anyways. I know people have some good experiences, but a good shock/spring combo or a monotube coilover system is the way to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

a threaded shock body in no way functions differently than a threaded sleeve to provide adjustable height settings.

You can't customize/tune the handling characteristics of your car with just a 'spring/shock' combo as most drop springs come only in certain rates (and even among brands they're all relatively the same rates) with a choice of 3 at most (for example oe sports, sports and race) which even at the 'race' level rates don't always have the necessary spring rate to offer competitive performance on the track. With that said, most drop springs have comfort in mind first, then handling/performance second as most are progressive-rate springs. Most competitive and top performing H1-H5 and SCCA hondas are running rates higher than any 'race' drop spring availible. But I guess it kinda comes down to what you are looking for, looks/asthetics or performance/handling. You can achieve a good compromise and thats kinda what drop springs are designed to do. Of course this is all just my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking about dropzone when it frst came out but then i decided to get skunk2 pro series full coilovers, they ride ok on bad roads(6/10) but on smooth roads(10/10) i geuss it depends on your cities road conditions..........
Old 12-02-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (blueb16-em1)

i have skunk2's and i like them just fine for what i use them for
Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: coilovers (k20EP3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k20EP3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude spend the money on some, Apex N1, HKS hypermax RS, or even (i cant belive im saying this) but Tein Flex. thats the best way to go. fully adjustable streetable and good enough for the track, plus they are safe and the way suspension is suposed to be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you "spend the money" on apex or HKS or any other "true" coilovers all you're spending your money on is the name... it's ALL bling factor and nothing else.

1. Matched coilovers are a set rate for the springs and depending on what ungodly amounts of money you want to spend may or may not have adjustable shocks.

for ~800 bucks you can have GC/Koni yellows and CHOOSE your spring rates front and rear.

You also then have the option of getting different rate springs for next to nothing instead of having to replace the WHOLE suspension if your unsatisfied.

Replacement/rebuilding/revalving on the konis vs a coilover is WAY more cost effective...

GC/Koni is the way to go IMO... they're WAY cheaper than some bling name brand coilover and not much more expensive then getting crappy drop springs and shocks.

They're also HANDS DOWN the choice of almost EVERYONE running autocross. The user has so much more control over their specific setup with GC's and the Konis are REDICULOUSLY adjustable..

Full stiff is ROCK hard and responsive... full soft is just a touch stiffer than stock but IMO PERFECTLY daily driveable.

The roads where I am are shitty... and if you have too stiff of a suspension you'll get thrown out of lanes on the highway if you're going fast.

The only draw to coilovers IMO is the upper pillowball mounts... but thats hardly worth the 500+ dollar difference.

To the original poster:

If you want the most well rounded cost effective customizable suspension solution I'd recommend GC/Koni Yellows HANDS DOWN.

Search the vendor forums here... they usually have great prices.

I think I got my GC's with Koni Yellows for ~720 delivered. The CHEAPEST equivelant matched coilover system is like 1200+... It's a no brainer IMO