Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Code 4 still...need help from ol'g's lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 4 still...need help from ol'g's lol

well...the symptom continues...as i stated in other posts before, my car died and it ended up being the distributor.

Well i replaced it with a remaned napa one and now the car runs like crap. It'll hesitate like it's running with a heavy load at around 3k rpms. Also, in 4th gear going 40 mph, if you floor the gas, it'll bog out.

We replaced the distributor 4 times and all 4 did the same thing so it can't be the distributor could it? Also, would timing be an issue here? Maybe when the car died, and i tried to restart it, it caused the timing to jump?

People also told me to check the wires and i did, nothing seems outta place from under the hood...ALLDATA tells me to check the wires at the right shock tower(main harness plug), which i also did and those seem to be fine too.

As they also stated, this seems to be a honda mystery as searching the archives proves this problem is really hard to fix.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

code 4 CKP - crank position sensor.. have u tried replacing that?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

replacing the CKP? are you serious? That's INSIDE the distributor...and after replacing 4 of them(distributors)...i came to the conclusion that it's probably not the distributors...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 PM

what engine is this on?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bone stock d16z6 93 EG Si

also i replaced while trying to figure out this problem:

the distributor wires and the spark plugs
Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 PM

have u done any wiring by the ECU or messed with the wiring harness. ive heard some cases there were wires not properly concelled and they were touching and tripping the code 4
Old 12-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know what? oddly i sometimes think i hear (literally) like a shocking sound coming from underneath my hood...like when you hook up a ground somewhere and it kinda shocks alittle bit when you connected it? That's what i hear, but when i look...i dont see squat!

no the ecu isn't chipped or anything, but we did try chipping it awhile back finding out it was an auto p28 we just left it alone...the ecu isn't bolted up like how it's supposed to be either...meaning the wires are connected and all, but carelessly.

Also, i have my RCA wires running along that side (under the ecu) to the back of the car for my amp.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:42 PM

is your thermostat ground tightened really good? i just have a hunch on it. but this could be the suspect. it may look tight but just give it a try to be sure.

ive heard that spark sound alot and its always the thermostat ground.

The RCA wires will not hurt anything by your ecu. ive had mine there over 2 years nothing went wrong.

But you also may have wiggled a wire loose unknowingly with your ECU just laying there.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicboisi)

i got a document for you.
hold on.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in reference to JDM...that's interesting that you've had the same problems with that spark cuz i thought i was the only one hearing things...lmfao...seriously, i'd stand there and think "was that just a spark i heard?" I'd definatly check into that ground and all the other ones around it...also, is there supposed to be a ground from the valve cover to the rad. support? Cuz that one is not there for some reason and i only see the one running from the rad. support (where the valve cover ground should be) to the power steering pump?

I'll hold for the document...i hope it helps as well...thanks for the help so far guys! Most response i've gotten yet on this topic and i hope to clear it for all...

EDIT the ecu isn't laying...it's bolted, but not good...kinda half-assed...lol
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IVI)

Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IVI

I know that document...its for the code 4 in ALLDATA like i stated earlier. I got that program at work and my boss and i BOTH are stumped on what it could be. Thanks though.

EDIT notice it says C222 located at right shock tower as i said earlier...weird eh?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in reference to JDM...that's interesting that you've had the same problems with that spark cuz i thought i was the only one hearing things...lmfao...seriously, i'd stand there and think "was that just a spark i heard?" I'd definatly check into that ground and all the other ones around it...also, is there supposed to be a ground from the valve cover to the rad. support? Cuz that one is not there for some reason and i only see the one running from the rad. support (where the valve cover ground should be) to the power steering pump?

I'll hold for the document...i hope it helps as well...thanks for the help so far guys! Most response i've gotten yet on this topic and i hope to clear it for all...

EDIT the ecu isn't laying...it's bolted, but not good...kinda half-assed...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

It only happens when i have it screwed down but i always do it hand tight and i forget about it then i hear the spark and i grab my 10mm and tighten it down and it goes away. I dont have a ground from the valve cover to the chassis. didnt tell a difference at all.

just give a good inspection of the ecu wires cause ive had a friend that had 1 bolt holding it on and some how a couple wires came out
Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

ah sorry man, didnt think ti was the same one.

like jdmlyfestyle is saying definitly check the condition of the grounds.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i might have to check into my grounds again because for some reason, my headlights take bit to come on (well...that might be normal considering it's cold as hell out) but the car itself seems like it's not getting enough power...like somethings draining it or something...arrgghh...what a pain! That's interesting though about the wires coming outta the ecu...i'll definally check into that too.

No prob. bout the pic IVI...i appreciate you trying to help...also, it might help someone else in the future too! who knows?!