Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Code 14 D16Y8/ High Idle/ Jerking Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code 14 D16Y8/ High Idle/ Jerking Motor

Ok so long story short. I have a 99 civic ex and it's a manual. 147,000 Miles. I did a SEARCHED and I found a bunch of different answers in which I'm going to try most if not all if the problem doesn't stop.

Last night the car IDLE'd at a red light at about 2.5k-3k and bounced up and down. It jerked off and on. I finally got a CEL it came on. I pulled the code a few minutes ago, it's reading Code 14.

I checked the coolant, since I someone in another thread mentioned it. Low and Behold, I have 0 coolant in the reservoir. Could this have anything to do with the high idle and jerking?

I'm not sure how to bleed a cooling system, do you think that topping off with coolant will be sufficient enough to drive on?

*UPDATE* I pulled the fuse to reset the ecu. The CEL went off. I drove down to auto parts store grabbed some Coolant. Put it in the reservoir since the radiator is still full. It idle'd normal at first, the about 10 minutes into the drive back home. It started to IDLE again, the CEL came back on. So what would you guys suggest based off the information given? It's a denso IACV on the car, I bought the car last month. I'm not sure if denso is the original brand for the honda one's I doubt it though.

If this is not the original IACV then what are the chances that this could be the issue?

Last edited by SIRIUS VTEC; 08-22-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Code 14 D16Y8/ High Idle/ Jerking Motor

1) Don't start replacing parts at random.

2) When the coolant reservoir is empty, you should wait until the engine is cool and then remove the radiator cap and top off the radiator AND reservoir with coolant. If the radiator was low on coolant, you also must bleed the cooling system.

3) Take your car back to the auto parts store so that they can pull the CEL code with a code reader. OBD1 code 14 can represent several different OBD2 codes. The OBD2 code will help you pinpoint the problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
1) Don't start replacing parts at random.

2) When the coolant reservoir is empty, you should wait until the engine is cool and then remove the radiator cap and top off the radiator AND reservoir with coolant. If the radiator was low on coolant, you also must bleed the cooling system.

3) Take your car back to the auto parts store so that they can pull the CEL code with a code reader. OBD1 code 14 can represent several different OBD2 codes. The OBD2 code will help you pinpoint the problem.
The only problem with that is, in california auto zone no longer pull codes for you. I was told when I called earlier this morning.

Ron, is high idle/Jerking and code 14 any indication of low coolant at all? Like does the fact that the coolant is low have anything to do with the IACV CEL? How much more detailed would a code reader be compared to the paper clip trick?

Man this is gonna be a pain in my ***. I'll be back with an update last thing I want to do is to have to call off work to take care of this crap.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I could post a few more details. The pipe leading from the cat back has two small holes in it. I do hear a hiss when I drive. I always assume it's coming from the pipe. My cat back rattles against the heat shield.

I was doing more searching. Not that I wasn't content with RON and his help but I still wanted to create a book of information to check out before I went to fix ONE thing. I see that in some thread that a guy had a hiss coming from his intake manifold where it's gasket meets the block. He fix it by replacing the intake manifold gasket. So I'm on to a hunch I feel.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...14-iacv-77248/

But Ron I'll definitely get that OBD2 Scan. I just need to find a place that'll do it.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SIRIUS VTEC
The only problem with that is, in california auto zone no longer pull codes for you. I was told when I called earlier this morning.
You need the OBD2 code for diagnosis purposes. Call other chain auto parts stores to see whether they offer free code pulling with a code reader. Some stores also offer free rentals of their code readers.

Ron, is high idle/Jerking and code 14 any indication of low coolant at all? Like does the fact that the coolant is low have anything to do with the IACV CEL? How much more detailed would a code reader be compared to the paper clip trick?
Generally, air in the cooling system will goof up the idle but won't throw code 14. Nonetheless, you should be concerned that the reservoir was empty. Is the coolant also low in the radiator? If yes, top off and bleed the cooling system. You need to do this.

Man this is gonna be a pain in my ***.
Taking the steps I mentioned will help reduce wasted time.

Last edited by Former User; 08-22-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate it Ron. Trust. It's just hot here in Cali I'll complain the day away. It's gotta be hot out there in Texas for you as well I'm sure.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's gotta be hot out there in Texas for you as well I'm sure.
It is the hottest and driest summer that I can recollect in Texas.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*UPDATE*

Went to pepboys instead got a free obd2 scan. The cel was scanned in as P0505 idle control malfunction. Thats the only code it pulled. Ok so next up, check wires to iacv makes sure their intact. Also the ftiv.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*UPDATE*

Went to pepboys instead got a free obd2 scan. The cel was scanned in as P0505 idle control malfunction. Thats the only code it pulled. Ok so next up, check wires to iacv makes sure their intact. Also the ftiv.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*UPDATE*

P0505 is not thrown by a problem in the IACV circuit, so testing the IACV wires is not necessary.

When the engine is having the idle problem, remove the air intake system and then use your finger to cover the hole inside the TB leading to the FITV or IACV. Does covering one of these holes make the high and fluctuating idle stop?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill let you know in about an hour n a half when works over. If the motor does not cut off then what are the possibilities we're lookin at?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I just got home, I was waiting on the light to come back on and it did. I pulled the IACV while the car was running just for kicks and it idled normal again. Is this any indication of anything of value to the problem?

Also, In fooling around with the iacv I realized my radiator top hose is leaking coolant front the end of it that connects to the block. There's not a holes or a cut it's just leaking from the end. I tightened the screw up before I came back in the house.

Ok, so I'm going to go down start the car remove the Intake and put my finger over on of the holes and see if it either stops fluctuation or makes it higher.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I went down. I put my finger over the hole and it went to regular idle.

In doing so I saw this and I think this may have something to do with alot of this. Ron, anyone. This look familiar to you?

I guess this is the end that went into the top. wth went into the side of it?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never seen that, Not even on my 98 y8 that's odd.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FIA Fuel Intake-Air Valve. I know now, but do you guys think this have anything to do with my problem and where could I possibly find a replacement.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, In fooling around with the iacv I realized my radiator top hose is leaking coolant front the end of it that connects to the block. There's not a holes or a cut it's just leaking from the end. I tightened the screw up before I came back in the house.
Post a clear picture showing where coolant is leaking from.

FIA Fuel Intake-Air Valve. I know now, but do you guys think this have anything to do with my problem and where could I possibly find a replacement.
Yes, that's causing the idle problem and P0505. If the FIA valve is broken, then replace it and reconnect the hose.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh man this'll be a bitch to find. Lol. I don't have days to wait. **Bangs head on desk** Ok i've had my moment. Time to find this suckah! I'll keep you guys updated in case someone else falls victim to this culprit.

I'll show you where the coolants leaking from.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check local junk yards and auto parts stores. Otherwise, you're stuck with buying a new Honda valve, which will cost ~$75.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never seen that, Not even on my 98 y8 that's odd.
That's because '98 Y8s didn't have air injection, just '99 - '00 Models.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics as promised. I basically, for the sake of today. I put put bot the intake manifold hose and the air intake hose into the FIA just so I could drive it to the honda store to get the part which is coming in to. sO FAR THE hoses are staying put, but the check engine light hasn't gone off. Does a CEL normally need to be reset for it to go off after a problem has been fixed or temporarily mended in my case?

anyways coolant is leaking from here...or was leaking, I haven't seen it leak today, it's still early.

on the bottom of this hose above, where it meets the block.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok i got the part. In fact plugging in the hoses to the old hoses worked. Two hours of driving no cel. Ill still put the new one on though. Do you still recommend a cooling system flush?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix the coolant leak (replace leaking hose?) and then bleed the cooling system.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I'll have at it tomorrow. thanks Ron you've been a large help. I hope you get some cool air out there in texas. It's getting hotter daily here I must say. It's got it's benefit's though.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed, So far so good.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

coolant bleed tomorrow. So I just open the rad cap let it blurp up all the air and fill as needed?

Or

Do I drain all the coolant from the radiator, then re-put it in the radiator?

Quick Reply: Code 14 D16Y8/ High Idle/ Jerking Motor