Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch or tranny problem or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or tranny problem or something else?

whenever i let off of the gas w/out pushing in the clutch my car will jerk and then it feels like something is pulling it and it slows down. The jerking got less when i changed the fuel filter but it still feels like something is grabbing when i let off of the gas. Cloud this be a clutch not fully disengageing or could it be something else.. My car is a 94 civic DX w/ a 5speed manual. I believe i have a bad throw out bearing or at least thats what i've concluded off of info from searching here on H-T. Would that have anything to do with this? Also there is a little bit of play in my clutch...when i go to push it down there doesn't seem to be any resistance at first but it grabs at about 1/4 the way in. Also when i accelerate my car seems to have absolutely no power and the TOB noise (at least i think thats what it is) is really loud. The louder the noise the less power i seem to have. also it seems that the noise gets louder when i go on longer trips aka when the car gets warm and runs warm for a while. thanks for reading this rediculasly long post but i think that all these problems are somehow related. Please post thoughts on what the problems could be and possible solutions

thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you need a new clutch. most of the problem is probably a bad throw out bearing, my car is the same way(91 da) you might also have a broken motor mount somewhere...that might be the jerking. how is your distributor and plugs? old? that could possibly be a problem you are having as well...little to no spark.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (peacexisxfree)

i don't think its the distributor or plugs...the distributor...i didn't replace but the previous owner did because it still looks a lot cleaner than the rest of the engine...i replaced the plugs and wires....the plugs and wires helped a little bit. Think the jerking may be low compression?....the engine does has 161k almost 162k
Old 06-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem or something else? (Cypher0117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whenever i let off of the gas w/out pushing in the clutch my car will jerk and then it feels like something is pulling it and it slows down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

people down shift to help slow their speed. if you're at a high rpm and let foot of the gas, you'll start slowing down. this sounds normal, man.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem or something else? (94sohcVTEC)

is 2000 rpm a high rpm?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go in an empty parking lot or anywhere away from other cars, on a stop put it in 3rd or 4th, try to let the car move while starting from those gears, if it slips and actually gets you moving, then its time for a new clutch, if it dies, then your clutch isn't bad after all, try again
"Also when i accelerate my car seems to have absolutely no power and the TOB noise" Don't worry that's normal
Old 06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: clutch or tranny problem or something else? (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go in an empty parking lot or anywhere away from other cars, on a stop put it in 3rd or 4th, try to let the car move while starting from those gears, if it slips and actually gets you moving, then its time for a new clutch, if it dies, then your clutch isn't bad after all, try again
"Also when i accelerate my car seems to have absolutely no power and the TOB noise" Don't worry that's normal </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^^That's about the best advice so far. You can also try at a stop and letting in the clutch in second and see if it stalls. My car also jerks around 2000rpm. Here is my thread on this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1258804

You might find something halpful in there. Also when shifting hard or downshifting hard the car will jerk.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem or something else? (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go in an empty parking lot or anywhere away from other cars, on a stop put it in 3rd or 4th, try to let the car move while starting from those gears, if it slips and actually gets you moving, then its time for a new clutch, if it dies, then your clutch isn't bad after all, try again
"Also when i accelerate my car seems to have absolutely no power and the TOB noise" Don't worry that's normal </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha....crap... started my car from a stop in 3rd gear.. While turning. Shook a little but i got up to 20mph at the end of the turn. This means my clutch is slipping and bad? and about how long do i have till it completely goes out
Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 PM

also whenever im stopped at a light or somethign on a hill...Its imbarressing when the light turns green.. I basically floor it and slowly let out the clutch and go soo slow...even when im crusing at like 40-50 mph...if i go up a hill my car will slow and i give it more gas and it sitll doesn't go...have to drop to a lower gear and rev higher to keep it from slowing down even more

are these signs of clutch slippage?!?!?!?!? someone answer please
Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 PM

I had my clutch give out and it feels like its "sliping" you will really notice. try drive it in 2nd gear and put it directly in 5th gear while gassing it. if it slips get a new clutch before you grind the **** out for ur flywheel. GL