Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG

Okay, it's ALWAYS hard for my car to into gear, like the clutch isn't fully engaging.

I push the clutch in all the way, and put the car in first, with the clutch ALL the way down the car acts like the clutch isn't all the way in, as in it wants to creep forward like i'm letting off the clutch.

Could it be my master cylinder? Because i don't have ANY play at all as to where my clutch engages. I have to push the clutch ALL the way for it to even ATTEMPT to engage, and then as soon as i let off even 1/2" it acts like i took my foot halfway off the pedal.

Any ideas? If I can't figure this out, i'm buying another tranny + clutch + flywheel + pp + master + slave cylinders.

ALSO

my car is only getting 20MPG (i calculated accurately) it's a stock 97 ex w/a swapped y8 (the first one's timing belt snapped i think)). I'm throwing a CEL for IACV (that's because it has an auto intake manifold on it at the moment, i have the manual one, just need to swap it on) and another code for Knock. I didn't know D-series motor's had a Knock sensor? Where is it located so I can check if it's plugged in.

Either way would these 2 CELs give me THAT horrible of MPG? I don't drive it hard at all. I'm thinking of doing FULL routine maintenence.

Such as:
both o2 sensors
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
fuel filter
cat

am i forgetting anything?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (desidesire1218)

try bleeding the clutch line, and there is also a way to adjust the clutch, but i dont know how
Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (desidesire1218)

how long has it been since you changed your transmission fluid?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (j-corleon)

i had the same problem
for me it would grind when it went into gear
i thought it was my tranny but it turn out to be my clutch
one of the spring popped out
Old 09-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (void_accord)

bad master cylinder or slave cylinder.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 AM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (sol2hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try bleeding the clutch line, and there is also a way to adjust the clutch, but i dont know how</TD></TR></TABLE>

i bled the clutch line many times and i also don't know HOW to adjust it, i just know it's done thru the master cylinder

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j-corleon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how long has it been since you changed your transmission fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got this car dirt cheap, he told me I needed a new tranny, but i'm seeing if that ISNT the case. I got the car about 2 weeks ago and i flushed the tranny fluid then.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by void_accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same problem
for me it would grind when it went into gear
i thought it was my tranny but it turn out to be my clutch
one of the spring popped out</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I might do it all of it at once.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad master cylinder or slave cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my slave is good, how do i check if it's a bad master? how do I adjust the master?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How? You search.........Thats how.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:30 AM

well you never know...it could also be that you have a damaged preassure plate... so you are not allowing the clutch to disengage..... you should take a look at your tranny before you sawap the whole thing out!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (cocochicorico)

Seriously, Its his master cylinder or slave. I'll be they are the original parts. I'll even bet this is an EK civic, its past due for these things to fail on those year cars.

It's pretty hard to expletive up a clutch on a stock motor, besides wearing the clutch totally out.

I've had the same problem before.

Pump the clutch up a bunch before you shift, I bet then it will shift ok.

The master cylinder can leak inside the resevoir so you will never see it. Sometimes it leaks down into the engine bay, look under it. Sometimes it leaks into the inside of the car and soaks the carpet, check there and under the carpet.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously, Its his master cylinder or slave. I'll be they are the original parts. I'll even bet this is an EK civic, its past due for these things to fail on those year cars.

It's pretty hard to expletive up a clutch on a stock motor, besides wearing the clutch totally out.

I've had the same problem before.

Pump the clutch up a bunch before you shift, I bet then it will shift ok.

The master cylinder can leak inside the resevoir so you will never see it. Sometimes it leaks down into the engine bay, look under it. Sometimes it leaks into the inside of the car and soaks the carpet, check there and under the carpet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's exactly what happens! okay i'll go check my master cylinder in a bit.

Does anyone have a solution for my poor MPG?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by desidesire1218 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have a solution for my poor MPG? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor and ignitor in dizzy. Should help with MPG.

Have you ever replaced your fuel filter also?

Stop hitting vtec all the time, shift like normal.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: clutch or tranny problem? car is hard to get into gear also poor MPG (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor and ignitor in dizzy. Should help with MPG.

Have you ever replaced your fuel filter also?

Stop hitting vtec all the time, shift like normal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never hit vtec, i always shift BEFORE 4K.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 AM

anyone else on the poor MPG? All the stuff WAS changed before I got the car. What else could it be?