Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch sometimes whines after car being submerged in water. Is it dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch sometimes whines after car being submerged in water. Is it dead?

I was driving today in Tampa, FL untill all of the sudden it started POURING! It was raining elephants. I was driving down a street and realized I had entered a flooded street when it was too late. As I'm driving I notice the car almost felt like it was floating and was being hit by floating signs and some logs. (no biggy) Of course I looked down the street and I see a guy screaming and waving his arms telling me "DON'T GO ANY FURTHER FOWARD! YOU WILL FLOOD!" so that's when I started backing up. I started to back up and I noticed the clutch was grabbing VERY funny. Sometimes not at all (slipping) and sometimes it would GRAB like a mother.. I'm trying to back up and the car/engine starts to shake pretty bad. The feeling of the shaking is EXACT to the wheel hop feeling. I had to be VERY gentle with the clutch or I'd feel the engine bounce. (I have a completely destroyed rear engine mount which i'm sure made the bouncing worse.. but this has been broken for a month now) I'm guessing it's just because the clutch was submerged is why it was acting up. As I'm backing out I can her water slushing through the flywheel/clutch. Scariest thing is that my car tried stalling as I'm backing out since the air filter had been soaked (not submerged) with water and engine was somewhat sucking water up. My brakes of course sucked *** for a long time since they were wet.

My fog lights are pretty much dead since they were FULLY submerged and are full of water right now. Everything else seems fine. One thing I notice now is that when I engage the clutch harder than normal, it whines. If I try to roll from a stop going uphill, it whines since the clutch is under load. It almost sounds like when the car is in reverse.. that reverse whine.. Again.. this ONLY happens when the clutch is under more than normal stress. I dont have an inspection plate so I know the flywheel was exposed to the water in every way. Could I have glazed the clutch disc itself? Could wetting a clutch while hot cause problems? It just could be me but it also seems like the clutch grabs slightly harder now (which is kinda annoying) Any thoughts on this? This ever happen to anyone before?

Thanks all!

EDIT : Forgot to mention that it seems like water hitting the clutch splines might have messed with the grease there or something because sometimes when I release the clutch pedal, it wont come out all the way (only about 3/4th of the way).. maybe after like 2 seconds the clutch will fully pop out.. There's no slipping because of this but it's just something I also noticed..
Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a release bearing not sure though