Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch slipping again!!! wtf

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping again!!! wtf

my old clutch went out all of the sudden and i replaced it with an exedy stage2 that my friend had in his car for about 6 months. plenty of life on it so i stick it in my car and it was fine. now its just about gone and its been in my car a whole week. what the hell? its good when i first drive the car and then I guess after it gets warm it goes to ****. anyone have any idea what the prob could be? i drove the thing fine to north carolina and back (9 hours) and around town etc. now it randomly fu#*ed
Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch slipping again!!! wtf

Clutch Master Cylinder, or Slave Cylinder.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rSol93
Clutch Master Cylinder, or Slave Cylinder.
or maybe air pocket in your line... Try bleeding the system. If that does nothing start replacing slave/master cylinder
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you resurface the flywheel when you replaced the clutch?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Flywheel resurface?
Clutch Hydraulics need bleed or replaced?
Clutch pedal out of adjustment (there should be 1/4" of play before initial engagement)
Stock pressure plate?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure its something other than the clutch wearing out. I beat the hell out of my Exedy Stage 2 at 315whp and it looked new when i pulled it out...after 2 years. Did you resurface the flywheel?? Answer the questions in the post above and we'll have a better idea...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM

just pulled trans out again. clutch looks fine. didnt resurface flywheel, bled the lines after i put the clutch in. drove to north carolina came back and 1 hour away from home i noticed a whining noise in 5th gear. push the clutch in and it went away. put it in 4th, fine. got home no oil in tranny. put oil in it and it still whined then it started to act like it was slipping. trans sittin on ground. maybe gears are ****ed up but would it act like a slipping clutch?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Leaking rear main?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slave and master cylinders wont make your clutch slip, they will prevent it from disengaging. Your input shaft seal is probably shot and youre leaking trans fluid onto the disk
Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by waynecoSI
or maybe air pocket in your line... Try bleeding the system. If that does nothing start replacing slave/master cylinder
ok guy's the purpose of the clutch master and slave cylinder is to disengage the transmission from the flywheel to shift between gears and to take of from a stand still.
a leaking clutch master or slave cylinder will not cause that nor air in the line. if air in the line or a leaking clutch slave or master would cause a disengagement problem only. the holding force is all on the pressure plate.
as far as the clutch slipping when warm only sounds like a bad pressure plate with the heat it will change the properties on the springs and may not be holding at its correct clamping pressure.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dtapia
ok guy's the purpose of the clutch master and slave cylinder is to disengage the transmission from the flywheel to shift between gears and to take of from a stand still.
a leaking clutch master or slave cylinder will not cause that nor air in the line. if air in the line or a leaking clutch slave or master would cause a disengagement problem only. the holding force is all on the pressure plate.
as far as the clutch slipping when warm only sounds like a bad pressure plate with the heat it will change the properties on the springs and may not be holding at its correct clamping pressure.

I had the same problem with my car. It only slipped when it heated up. I replaced the Master cylinder and no more slippage.

The idea behind this is that, When the car was cold, I hadn't been driving/pushing the clutch very much. But the more I drove, and the more the engine had warmed up, the more I had been pressing the clutch. The Piston inside the Clutch Master Cylinder was allowing more air into the system everytime I pressed it, thus causing slippage. The Master/Slave wouldn't allow the clutch to re-engage fully.

As explained to me by my mechanic.

also if you replace the Clutch Master, it's probably a good idea to replace the Slave cylinder, as it may cause the seals to blow in the slave because of the new force of the Master.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM

lol...^^^ its your flywheel. 100% certain.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Inliner
lol...^^^ its your flywheel. 100% certain.
I had it resurfaced when I thought the problem was the clutch. The clutch and flywheel was changed.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear main seal is leaking or the input shaft seal is leaking.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem with my car. It only slipped when it heated up. I replaced the Master cylinder and no more slippage.

The idea behind this is that, When the car was cold, I hadn't been driving/pushing the clutch very much. But the more I drove, and the more the engine had warmed up, the more I had been pressing the clutch. The Piston inside the Clutch Master Cylinder was allowing more air into the system everytime I pressed it, thus causing slippage. The Master/Slave wouldn't allow the clutch to re-engage fully.

also if you replace the Clutch Master, it's probably a good idea to replace the Slave cylinder, as it may cause the seals to blow in the slave because of the new force of the Master.
hmm very strange that's a new one for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt matter if theres air in the line because that will only prevent you from disengaging the clutch. MAYBE if the clutch isn't disengaging completely when you press pedal...potentially i could see the excess friction heating everything up but thats pretty far fetched.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 AM

yeah it started leaking after I pulled the drivers side axle out the first time i did the pulled the trans out. i guess its a $12 seal or something i havent looked.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) bullshit

2) he's full of bullshit

i can break into the actual technical/design aspects of the master cylinder if you want but point is that the clutch operational system cannot cause the clutch to slip. period.

now op is talking about one of two things... either the clutch is slipping when warmed up(not putting the power to the ground) which means its getting oil leaked on it from somewhere

or he is having problems getting it to disengage after a period of driving (operational system problem, likely to be slave cylinder)

so which is it??
Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 PM

If I drop the clutch right away when I start it as if I was going to smoke the tires it would slip. if i start it and be easy its fine until i get a few hundred yards down the road.
It couldnt be the trans could it?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM

**** I dont know where to start. i have a better pressure plate i think somwhere around but i dont want to put the trans back on and find it to still be a problem. any other input from anyone?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

would it be my synchros?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, not syncros. LOL
Syncros are for lining up gears between shifts.

You have an oil leak, i Had one, and had the same clutch problem when I got on it.
Replaced rear main seal on engine
Replaced input shaft seal on tranny
But finally what fixed it for me was my VTEC solenoid leaking down onto the tranny housing and seeping into the clutch area.
I thought it was a head gasket leaking oil, but it was the VTEC solenoid just above leaking down.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Yeah I dont have vtec but I do have a leak on the drivers side axle where it goes in. slung oil everywhere underneath the car. how do i put those seals in?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that oil is probably coming from inside the clutch housing on your trans...but if its the output shaft seal...

1. pop axle out
2. take seal out with screwdriver or plyers
3. tap new seal in
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully you didn't oil soak the friction material on you clutch. I use brake cleaner to get any residue off all the parts.

John

Quick Reply: clutch slipping again!!! wtf