Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch slipping

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Clutch slipping

So I'm running 12 lbs of boost on my 97 b18 swap. When I'm pulling into boost it feels like its slipping. What should I do? But a new stage 2 clutch in (which I have seen a lot of post about clutches and stages) or do I need the whole kit including flywheel?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help plz

What feels like its slipping? The clutch? You can just upgrade your clutch and pressure plate but you'll wanna get the flywheel resurfaced. I don't run lightweights I find they fall out of boost between shifts way to fast.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree about weight. Stay with the stock weight flywheel.

You need a stage 2 clutch kit if you drive on the streets. Don't buy a pucked disc unless it is sprung, actually, puck discs are meant for strip racing and more like an on/off switch. I like ACT clutch discs. There is also Fidanza and a few others. Stay away from cheap eBay kits or anything generic. They rip up real easy. Also, make sure you break-in the new clutch for 50 miles before speed shifting or hard launching. Also, resurface the flywheel for about $12 at a transmission shop.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The puck/full-faced isn't what makes it an "on/off" clutch, hub springs are.

50 miles is no where near enough time for break-in - most clutches require a bare minimum of 250-500 miles.

I JUST covered this in another thread. Figure out your motor's baseline torque (Wikipedia will tell you), figure out how much torque you're making now (a dyno will tell you this), and get the proper clutch to suit your torque load.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

50 miles is no where near enough time for break-in - most clutches require a bare minimum of 250-500 miles.

I JUST covered this in another thread. Figure out your motor's baseline torque (Wikipedia will tell you), figure out how much torque you're making now (a dyno will tell you this), and get the proper clutch to suit your torque load.
This.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

^ He's right, break-in is 500 miles. My bad.

I didn't know that about the sprung-puck designs. I always thought since stage 3 is usually 6-puck-sprung, it was less intense... whereas a stage 4 _4-puck-unsprung was on/off switch for drag.

My racecar is NA but the transmission, block, head, and suspension is setup for future turbo. I chose a ACT stage 2 disc (more expensive than stage 3 puck) because I also drive on the streets a lot. It's a street legal car with AC and cruise and a lot of HP so I know a stage 3 clutch would be really uncomfortable in stop and go daily traffic, or speed bumps and railroad crossings.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help, I ended up with a competition stage 2 clutch and I am going to get the flywheel resurfaced. Thanks again...