Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch or Slave cylinder problem- Please lend me your ears

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch or Slave cylinder problem- Please lend me your ears

I recently did an auto to manual swap in my car and its been running fine. I kept the clutch that was in the tranny which has about 50k miles on it. But over this past week it has been getting really hard to drive. I can't put it into first from a dead stop anymore. Once i get rolling its possible to put it into 2-5 alright, but not as easy as it used to be. The only way I can get into 1st and reverse is when the car is off and i turn it on in 1st. I have one person says that it could be the slave cylinder which i bought new, and other says its the clutch. So i would say the clutch has about 60k miles on it now and i learned how to drive stick on it, or is it the slave cylinder????

Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Clutch or Slave cylinder problem- Please lend me your ears (getupoffthatthan)

Old 12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch just holds the power, either slave cylinder (check that fluid too) or check tranny fluid.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (z6hatchboy)

i tried to bleed the clutch and i bled it, does that mean the salve cylinder is in working order?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it still has good pressure on the pedal i would say thats good then, have you checked the tranny fluid?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutch just holds the power, either slave cylinder (check that fluid too) or check tranny fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

could be the clutch... wtf lol. The springs in the center of the clutch disc could be bad.. this is what put the pressure on the pressure plate.. throw out bearing could be bad also.

My bet would be that it is the trans though. Sounds like a syncro problem to me. but for a Z6 trans your not talkin back for a new trans
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wicked_b16eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

could be the clutch... wtf lol. The springs in the center of the clutch disc could be bad.. this is what put the pressure on the pressure plate.. throw out bearing could be bad also.

My bet would be that it is the trans though. Sounds like a syncro problem to me. but for a Z6 trans your not talkin back for a new trans </TD></TR></TABLE>

If his clutch is stock, what stock honda clutch is sprung? Also, the pressure plates keeps the pressure on the disk to the flywheel, thats how its held, which i dont think would cause it not to go into gear. Synrcos sound logical though. Through bearing will just make a noise that gets on your nerves quick, dont think it affects not got into gear either. But check the tranny fluid also.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 PM

i agree with the oem clutch disc part but not the pressure plate. I agree with the syncro part but thr throw out bearing would affect gear change as it is what push's on the pressure plate fingers when you put the clutch in..

I guess I have to get a diagram of how a transmission works for you
Old 12-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have need a diagram buddy but thanks. As long as the mass of the throw out bearing is there it should shift fine, but you will the noise, hence its bad. It could affect it if it wasnt even there, but it being there itself is what pushs it not the fact its a bearing.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like syncros to me, not a clutch issue, but it worked before you did the swap so i dont think all of a sudden it would just stop working, so it sounds like a gear issue... OP- were you driving it really hard?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Agreed, syncros or fuild, this battle of the clutch (between me and wickdb16eg) has nothing to do with the internals of the tranny anyways.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM

it has slowly been getting worse. now its at the point where it wont go into 1st at all unless the car is off. But once u get rolling i can get into 2-5 a little easier, but not the same as when i first got it done. I haven't seen any leaking of tranny fluid and i put oem honda tranny fluid in there when i did the swap. its just over the past 2 weeks it has been getting progressively worse.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fact that the car has to be off sometimes, to me, really points towards two thing fluid or slave cylinder. Since you put some in it, you could check to see if the bolts tight which im sure you did tighten it but still. Secondly, how does your pedal feel? Like theres a lot of resistance or is it easy that you could move it with your hand?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it make a noise when u try to put it in first? if its just "stuck" your clutch is f*cked and you need to replace it IMO. when i needed a new clutch about a year ago, my car wouldnt go into first and it was stuck... also in your other gears, does your clutch slip (does your vehicle speed match your engine speed (rpms))?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (d[sick]sTeena)

The clutch feels the same as it did when i first got it. But like there is no noise when i try to go into 1st. it just is like a wall blocking it. whats the easiest way to check the tranny fluid? i do have a new clutch coming in the mail, but if its something that doesnt involve the clutch and i can fix it myself i dont want to pay aaa to tow my car
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (getupoffthatthan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by getupoffthatthan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The clutch feels the same as it did when i first got it. But like there is no noise when i try to go into 1st. it just is like a wall blocking it. whats the easiest way to check the tranny fluid? i do have a new clutch coming in the mail, but if its something that doesnt involve the clutch and i can fix it myself i dont want to pay aaa to tow my car</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant really check it... you have to take out the bolt you used to add fluid and add it in untill it starts to come out... the clutch could be damaged or on backwards or maybe for the wrong application... sounds like a clutch issue to me now...
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure what the easiet way is, i guess you could undo the fill bolt and look to see if you can see any, or just put some more in it and see if it gets better.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:49 PM

yea i am really hoping its the clutch. I know it was used because i was planning on switching it out when i put a new engine in. I even went to one the best honda shops in orlando to do the manual swap and it has been good for the first 2 months, but now i got this problem. thanks for the input, im hoping its just the clutch and not something serious
Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think about the only way it could be the clutch is you noticed any slipping under full throttle or anywhere, if a bad clutch is left in it can eventually get bad enough (wore enough) that the car can be in gear, but the car wont go anywhere (because of no material on the clutch to grab with) leading you to think its not in gear. However since have been driving it thats probably not the case.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM

well ever since i had the problem start i never shifted above 3k. and i havent driven the car in the past 2 weeks because i dont want to eat away the tranny. the only way i can describe it is when the car is stopped and you try to put it into 1st it just like a wall blocking it. its like when u push the pedal in the clutch isnt dis engaging. I dont know anymore. from my other honda friend he says that there is no friction left on the clutch and when im at a dead stop its not spinning fast enough or something to get you into 1st, but once im moving the clutch is spinning more equal with the flywheel which makes it possible to get into the other gears.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it was drivable when you parked it, then i doubt it the clutch, your friend is on the money if that was the problem, but bottom line it was drivable whe you parked it right? If it feels like a wall though, i still say tranny fluid. But about the pedal you never said if it had good resistance, does it? If so its not that , i dont think. Dont get down about it though, since you didnt mention any grinds, doubt it syncros, now all that left is fluid or clutch, neither is expensive (since you already have a new slave cyl. in the mail)
Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM

easiest way to see if your losing fluid is to FILL the transmission, drive the car for a little while.. Go out and sight see or some thing. get the car to normal running temp, Go home and park the car in a garage if possible and place a piecee of card board under the engine and trans. leave the car over night and in the morning see if there is any drainage. There are only a few places that could leak. the main area tras fluid would leak from would be the axel seals.. other then this would be the fill drain plugs.

I know I brought up the clutch issue but this irrelevant to the topic along with the throw out bearing. These were simply suggestion.

I do strongly believe this to be an internal transmission problem. There are plenty of posibilitys of what it could be inside there ( shift fork syncro gears needle bearings ect) but is definitly is inside the trans. Like I told you before a D-series trans dose not run much money these days. They can be had for under 2 hundered dollar. Check your local salvage yards and check the classifieds on HT and on D-series.org That site is dedicated to d-series only.

Check them out.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Ive always parked it in my garage, even when it was running bad and ive never seen any sort of liquid on the floor. I really hope its not anything inside the tranny, but it was always running fine before, what could have caused the sudden internal problems in the tranny?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ word to the card board and axel seals.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know much of anything to cause a suddden problem, which leads to fluid again. Over night it like wickdb16eg said, it could leak very slow and temps can affect the leaking too.

Quick Reply: Clutch or Slave cylinder problem- Please lend me your ears