Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch question...Help me out b4 i waste some money

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch question...Help me out b4 i waste some money

Heres the deal. We just bought a 1999 SI Civic, about a 2months ago from the original owner. Yesterday while at the mall i go to back out of a space and the car gets stuck in reverse. So i turn the car off, pump the clutch and it slides out kinda roughly. So i stick it in 1st and all the other gears are fine. All other gears shift smooth and don't stick in gear. So late last night i figured i would try it again, and i goes into reverse smoothly and came out, when the car was off, so i tried it again and it stuck..and i mean stuck...So i start the car and it stayed stuck, so i do the same process and pump the clutch and it comes out w/ a little bit of force.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be? I know the clutch is stock, and has never been replaced. I have a feeling it could be the clutch, i just don't want to waste my money if its something stupid. Please someone help me out, so i can avoid driving through parking spots and parking in my front yard..LOL...Thanks alot
Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch question...Help me out b4 i waste some money (IWANTAHB)

Well the clutch really doesnt have anything to do with it. If there is little to zero load on the clutch then you should still be able to get it out of gear. On my y8 tranny when im slowing down I can take the car out of gear without pressing down on the clutch, I dont reccomend it but it shows you dont need the clutch. In my honest opinion you will need to have some work done on the tranny. I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On any 5sp tranny when you let off the gas you can slide it out of gear. I just don't see why the car only gets stuck in reverse, and its not a everytime thing.

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IWANTAHB)

I see your one of those people, who dont like to face the real problem. Go ahead and replace your clutch and see what happens. I bet you will be right back here bitching. There is something wrong with your transmission. The only thing the clutch does is sepetate the tranny from the engine. It has nothing to do with the gears of the transmission.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Clutch question...Help me out b4 i waste some money (IWANTAHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWANTAHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres the deal. We just bought a 1999 SI Civic, about a 2months ago from the original owner. Yesterday while at the mall i go to back out of a space and the car gets stuck in reverse. So i turn the car off, pump the clutch and it slides out kinda roughly. So i stick it in 1st and all the other gears are fine. All other gears shift smooth and don't stick in gear. So late last night i figured i would try it again, and i goes into reverse smoothly and came out, when the car was off, so i tried it again and it stuck..and i mean stuck...So i start the car and it stayed stuck, so i do the same process and pump the clutch and it comes out w/ a little bit of force.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be? I know the clutch is stock, and has never been replaced. I have a feeling it could be the clutch, i just don't want to waste my money if its something stupid. Please someone help me out, so i can avoid driving through parking spots and parking in my front yard..LOL...Thanks alot</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your clutch disc spline may not be lubricated properly. It's a pretty easy procedure. Did a handful of these before. Get some high temp urea grease, works like a champ, good luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see your one of those people, who dont like to face the real problem. Go ahead and replace your clutch and see what happens. I bet you will be right back here bitching. There is something wrong with your transmission. The only thing the clutch does is sepetate the tranny from the engine. It has nothing to do with the gears of the transmission. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude im not bitching i just asked for some opinions/suggestions. Im not saying there is nothing wrong with the tranny. Its just kinda ackward for it to have an issue just all of a sudden. You know? I mean i've been through some trannies before and there is always some kind of warning if something is going out....I always face the real problem im just thinking maybe it could be something smaller. Since A) its all of a sudden B) if i turn the car off, it will actually come out of gear.

-Andru
Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (IWANTAHB)

I think you should bring it to a mechanic to take a look at it. One thing for sure we can say its not the MC but I dont think its the cluch, I think Tuner7205 might be right and saying there is something wrong with your tranny or actually to be more precise something wrong with your reverse gear inside the tranny. Also you stated that you do not have a problem moving the car forward so it cannot really be the cluch.

Dave

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you should bring it to a mechanic to take a look at it. One thing for sure we can say its not the MC but I dont think its the cluch, I think Tuner7205 might be right and saying there is something wrong with your tranny or actually to be more precise something wrong with your reverse gear inside the tranny. Also you stated that you do not have a problem moving the car forward so it cannot really be the cluch.

Dave

Good Luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i planned on doing. And i don't think its the clutch either, its just weird that something could just go out like that. My wife drives it and never beats on it, let alone in reverse. LOL....So i don't know, i guess we will see whats going on with it....