Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

After 2 years of my 92 EG sitting, I finally got it on the road. My friend and I were just driving the back roads close to the house, since the car has been siting.

About 15 minutes in the test drive the clutch gave out completely. Had the car in gear, let out on the clutch and it was just revving the engine. Luckily there was a church a few 100 feet away and I just coasted in and parked.

When I was driving the car it seemed like it was slipping, something just wasn't right, had the RPMs up, clutch out and we were barely moving.

You can move through the gears without stepping on the clutch, the only thing you need to step on the clutch for is to start the car but I think thats a built in safety.

I think its the clutch, I got a quote of $625 and he will replace the throw out bearing. He said about 6 hours of labor... but that doesnt seem right to me.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself in about 3 hours for a first-timer. You can buy a clutch kit at an autoparts store with a TOB for $100.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do it yourself in about 3 hours for a first-timer. You can buy a clutch kit at an autoparts store with a TOB for $100.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed
Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do it yourself in about 3 hours for a first-timer. You can buy a clutch kit at an autoparts store with a TOB for $100.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about doing that since I don't have money to throw away like that. What are the major tools needed? How high do you have to jack up the car?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: (tehbrosta)

Sorry for the double post...

But I found a DIY on replace the clutch/flywheel: http://www.honda-acura.net/for...39802

After reading it, I think I might actually do the work myself. Although still curious as to how high the car should be jacked up and on stands?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

High enough to get the tranny lower then the engine, when you pull it off. It's nice to have a friend handy when putting the tranny back on, might take a time or two to get it to line up right.

Also, i highly recommend the exedy clutch kit on ebay. Like 90 shipped. I had an Napa setup, and it sucked bad, was chattering sooo badly.

How's the pedal in your car? As in does it seem to have good pressure. Go to the front of your tranny, cut that rubber boot on your clutch slave cylinder. If you do the inside of the bend you can put it back on and have no issues. but make sure its moving when you depress the clutch pedal.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High enough to get the tranny lower then the engine, when you pull it off. It's nice to have a friend handy when putting the tranny back on, might take a time or two to get it to line up right.

Also, i highly recommend the exedy clutch kit on ebay. Like 90 shipped. I had an Napa setup, and it sucked bad, was chattering sooo badly.

How's the pedal in your car? As in does it seem to have good pressure. Go to the front of your tranny, cut that rubber boot on your clutch slave cylinder. If you do the inside of the bend you can put it back on and have no issues. but make sure its moving when you depress the clutch pedal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and I recommend a clutchmasters FX100 or an ACT performance street clutch.

Or of course there's always autozone or napa stock replacements which work fine.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem? Should I also get a flywheel or have it re-surfaced?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tehbrosta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem? Should I also get a flywheel or have it re-surfaced? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have yours resurfaced.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have yours resurfaced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah..but...

Can you trust clutch kits off of ebay? I mean who knows if that's an actual exedy cluth or not...?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

I thought you were agreeing with coneheadsracing on eBay'd clutches... just recommending different brands... I will mostly go with a cheap Autozone clutch kit, after all it is a 92 civic VX, if and when I do a swap will consider a performance clutch.