Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Problem (Help me Diagnose)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Problem (Help me Diagnose)

**UPDATE ON PAGE 2**

While testing out my newly installed greddy guages tonight, I drove around the city for a little bit. Beasting it here and there, to see where the guages read at (WOT, Idle, and cruising). Everything was peachy, and when I was on the final stretch back home, I decided to beast it one more time. I went through 1st gear, went into 2nd and kinda grinded it in there, went WOT, and then, let off the gas & popped in the clutch simultaneously, Ut-Oh My car slows down as if its still stuck in 2nd gear(engine braking). WTF!! I manage to pop it into neutral, however i can't get it back into any gear!! I pull over..only to find out that possibly my Slave cylinder went out. I was only 1 mile away from home. Worst luck ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This sucks serious donkey *****. I still have pressure on the clutch when I push it in, yet I still can't get it into any gear when the motor is running. So to solve the problem, I put the car into 2nd gear while the motor is off and started the motor and just cruised shamefully back home.

What do you guys think, is it the slave cylinder? or worst?

BTW...this is how my gauges read during the test drive. Do they seem up to par?

Water Temp Readings: Inbetween 90 and 100 degrees Celcius
Oil Pressure Readings: Idle=1.0 to 1.25, Cruising at 2k rpm=3.5-4.0, WOT=6.0

Do these readings seem normal for a bone stock N/A B18b?

Thanks,
Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 6:43 PM 7/8/2004

Modified by Sohc Driver at 12:21 AM 7/24/2004
Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Problem (Sohc Driver)

Same thing happened to me. It was the master cylinder. After I replaced that I was still having problems getting into gear with the engine on. Turned out I had to replace my clutch, it was shot.

I ended up upgrading the clutch and putting in a lightweight flywheel.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problem (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me. It was the master cylinder. After I replaced that I was still having problems getting into gear with the engine on. Turned out I had to replace my clutch, it was shot.

I ended up upgrading the clutch and putting in a lightweight flywheel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well..the clutch is an ACT HD/SS. Its not that old, actually only a 1 year old. And plus there is still pressure on the clutch when I push it. Also, the clutch makes no noises at all when i press or depress it.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:47 PM

I'm saying that it's probably the master cylinder. I had an OEM clutch in my car since I bought it 4 yrs ago. Because I was still having problems after I replaced the master cylinder I checked out the clutch and it was shot. Had the clutch been good the replacing of my mc would have solved the problem.

EDIT: I still had pressure in my clutch and there was no noises. It just wouldn't go into gear while the car was running. With the car off it went through the gears with no problem. The first thing you should check is the fluid level in your mc. Mine was totally drained.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully its something simple....I would hate to have to drop the tranny. What are the symptoms of a bad shifter fork, etc?

Khoi
Old 07-05-2004, 09:13 PM

If the fork is bent one of the symtoms is the shifter will slip out of gear.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the fork is bent one of the symtoms is the shifter will slip out of gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope..I do not have that problem.....

So can it be anything else besides the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder based on the symptoms I mentioned before?

Khoi
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope..I do not have that problem.....

So can it be anything else besides the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder based on the symptoms I mentioned before?

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

TTT
Old 07-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It IS the master cylinder no doubt about it.

The master won't hold pressure after a while if you have an upgraded clutch. I go through them every 3-4 months. I'm thinking about going to a tilton racing master cylinder and bearing.

Replace you slave too just in case, usually when the master goes bad it makes the slave work harder and the seals wear out on that too.

Check for fluid leaking out below the master cylinder under the hood on the firewall, also check inside on the floor by your pedals to see if its leaking inside the car. It is also possible for just the seals to leak inside tha master and no fluid will come out but it won't hold pressure.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problem (mike1114)

Well, we checked the slave cylinder, and its fine.... There is still pressure on the clutch pedal, so that pretty much says the master clutch cylinder is fine ....Could it be the clutch disc? Its an ACT Street Disc w/ 30k miles on it at most.

Khoi
Old 07-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, we checked the slave cylinder, and its fine.... There is still pressure on the clutch pedal, so that pretty much says the master clutch cylinder is fine ....Could it be the clutch disc? Its an ACT Street Disc w/ 30k miles on it at most.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

TTT
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch fork?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (feri0)

cl<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by feri0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutch fork?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you say clutch fork, are you referring to the teeth that come out towards the center of the pressure plate?

Khoi
Old 07-06-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (feri0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, we checked the slave cylinder, and its fine.... There is still pressure on the clutch pedal, so that pretty much says the master clutch cylinder is fine ....Could it be the clutch disc? Its an ACT Street Disc w/ 30k miles on it at most.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do think the master cylinder is fine just because you have pressure in the pedal. Did you even check it? I had pressure in my pedal and my mc was shot and empty.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problem (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It IS the master cylinder no doubt about it.

The master won't hold pressure after a while if you have an upgraded clutch. I go through them every 3-4 months. I'm thinking about going to a tilton racing master cylinder and bearing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've been on an aftermarket clutch in my prelude for 50k miles with a supercharger, and no problems with my master cylinder. I ahve teh stock civic CX master cyliner in my hatchback with a turbo b18c1 and no problems from it either over the last 4 months. I've never heard of anyone killing MC that quickly.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do think the master cylinder is fine just because you have pressure in the pedal. Did you even check it? I had pressure in my pedal and my mc was shot and empty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah..we checked it, there are no leaks.

Khoi
Old 07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sohc Driver)

Is there any chance that it could be the tranny itself?

Khoi
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

::sigh:: I feel so depressed about my car..I actually feel like i lost an arm or a leg without it...
Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as "a bad electrical ground" when i wired up the guages being the cause of my clutch problems?

Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 2:17 PM 7/9/2004
Old 07-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ::sigh:: I feel so depressed about my car..I actually feel like i lost an arm or a leg without it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

go to a shop
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as "a bad electrical ground" when i wired up the guages being the cause of my clutch problems?

Khoi
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 PM

clutch fork. it's a big fork about the size of your hand that the slave cylinder pushes on.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Del_Slowest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutch fork. it's a big fork about the size of your hand that the slave cylinder pushes on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So how sure are you that its the clutch fork? And can i check that without having to take off the tranny?

Khoi
Old 07-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Del_Slowest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutch fork. it's a big fork about the size of your hand that the slave cylinder pushes on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you check and diagnose a bad clutchfork?

Khoi
Old 07-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your throwout bearing could've taken a **** too...I didn't read every reply, but I just did a rebuild on my buddy's 240 and a bad throwout bearing forced us to tear the tranny off and do it again .

The main problem with this is the clutch not disengaging...you can figure out the symptoms from there: no shifting into gears, heavy grinding when you try, engine braking when in "neutral", etc.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem (Help me Diagnose)