Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch performance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch performance.

any opinions on what type of clutch shows the best performance on a 96 civic ex coupe?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clutch performance.

In my experience, with a stock d series, you aren't going to notice a lick of difference by swapping out your clutch. You can change the was the pedal feels but the power isn't there to make a difference. The OEM clutch is perfectly fie.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why you would want an aftermarket one if you arent planning on modifying it extensively (at least head work). But then again, i always say if it's broken buy a better one, unless i don't have the money.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clutches hold the torque so I don't get the performance reference. If they hold the torque then they are doing their job.

It's also been my experience that anyone that asks what is "best" has no clue what they are really asking about.

And the OEM clutch is perfectly fine for what? Where did the OP mention that they weren't modifying anything or that the car is unmodified. Although there is a good chance it's stock, don't assume.
The OP hasn't given you any information to POSSIBLY make that recommendation. I don't recall that he said it was stock. The OP needs to furnish way more information to have the question answered correctly.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dc headers, magnaflow exhaust, dc short shifter, cool air intake. this is a project car, i am new to the honda scene and im not sure what parts show the best performance. i honestly wasnt too interested in them untill i got one of my own, now im on the computer and talking to people daily trying to find the next best thing to install. Any ideas on what i should go with next?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by civicex0619
dc headers, magnaflow exhaust, dc short shifter, cool air intake. this is a project car, i am new to the honda scene and im not sure what parts show the best performance. i honestly wasnt too interested in them untill i got one of my own, now im on the computer and talking to people daily trying to find the next best thing to install. Any ideas on what i should go with next?
Sell all the stuff you have except the short shifter and look into going turbo. None of that stuff is helping.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM
The Grumpiest

You have nothing there that even warrants changing out the clutch you have.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Sell all the stuff you have except the short shifter and look into going turbo. None of that stuff is helping.
I have been looking into it but shouldn't I install internals first? also, ive heard that the intake, exhaust, and headers would compliment the turbo well by producing better air flow. was i given the wrong information?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Read this: Want a Faster Civic?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc

Would require to much "spoon feeding" if he's asking those types of questions. if for some reason you NEED a new clutch just go OE replacemant like the exedy OE
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been looking into it but shouldn't I install internals first? also, ive heard that the intake, exhaust, and headers would compliment the turbo well by producing better air flow. was i given the wrong information?
You cannot use that header with a turbo. Research Research Research. The search button up top is your friend. Also read the FAQ's at the top of this gen civic forum, and links provided.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM
The Grumpiest

Just to let you know the Search is broken, for real, and the higher ups have a ticket in to fix it. And that search field in the upper right is kinda lame, even when it worked.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks. you just showed me everything i was looking for.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryan96GSR
You cannot use that header with a turbo. Research Research Research. The search button up top is your friend. Also read the FAQ's at the top of this gen civic forum, and links provided.
Thank you, that is exactly why i am on here, im trying to do as much research as possible to get exactly what i want out of my honda. Performance is a MUST for me. Please note that i did not buy any of these mods, they were on the car when i got it. I just want to make sure that i am doing everything possible to take the next step in the right direction.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, that is exactly why i am on here, im trying to do as much research as possible to get exactly what i want out of my honda. Performance is a MUST for me. Please note that i did not buy any of these mods, they were on the car when i got it. I just want to make sure that i am doing everything possible to take the next step in the right direction.
You haven't mentioned anything else done to the car, but you should start with the suspension and brakes before you start adding power.

D series motors don't have much to offer in performance unless you turbo them. Motor swaps are common on these cars because of how simple they are. It's only a matter of having a few grand available to buy parts.

That would be my suggestion, save up for a swap. GSR motors are commonly available and are a nice jump in power and torque over the D motors.

Just to let you know the Search is broken, for real, and the higher ups have a ticket in to fix it. And that search field in the upper right is kinda lame, even when it worked.
That explains a lot.