Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch pedal sticks and comes up slowly??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal sticks and comes up slowly??

So yesterday i tried going to work and when I pressed the clutch it had little to no resistance.. I tried putting it in 1st but it wasnt going in. I left the car there and when I came home I poured fluid in then reservoir since it was dry. I pumped the pedal a few times and it got a little better. On my way to school today same **** happened. But I pumped the clutch a few times and i got it in first. The pedal comes back up but it'll take a second to come all the way up. Any suggestions? Perhaps a new Master and Slave. And how do I bleed the car by myself i'm confused on the part when i open and close the valve..
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal sticks and comes up slowly??

Forgot to mention theres a little fluid inside the car.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Yeah jus tputting fluid in won't get the air out of the system, to bleed is a two person job. Person up front under the hood on the tranny on the slave cylinder, unlock (loosen) bleeder valvle, second person pushes peddle to floor, first person locks (tightens) valve, second person reaches down lifts peddle. wash rinse repeat.

Fluid in the car sounds like the hydraulic cylinder on the peddle busted. I would have to look at the FSM to verify it has one in the cab to be sure, but that would be where your fluid is being lost from so until it's fixed you will be constantly running out of fluid.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Yeah jus tputting fluid in won't get the air out of the system, to bleed is a two person job. Person up front under the hood on the tranny on the slave cylinder, unlock (loosen) bleeder valvle, second person pushes peddle to floor, first person locks (tightens) valve, second person reaches down lifts peddle. wash rinse repeat.

Fluid in the car sounds like the hydraulic cylinder on the peddle busted. I would have to look at the FSM to verify it has one in the cab to be sure, but that would be where your fluid is being lost from so until it's fixed you will be constantly running out of fluid.
Nope I bleed them just by myself just submerge the hose in a bottle with brake fluid that way it's not sucking in air took me 5 mins after I replaced my CMC. It's either the CMC OR SC inspect both to determine which it is the pic I posted is of a cmc that's done and needs to be replaced. he has a hydro clutch system not cable
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Hysterically Calm

So the peddle pushes a rod through the firewall to activate a hydraulic cylinder? I thought the hydraulic pump was on the cab side on the peddle right along with the neutral safety switch and just fluid hoses went through the firewall.

Never looked at it to see.

I'm not sure what you did for the solo bleeding, you meen on the bleeder valve you stuck a hose and put it into a bottle and just left it open while you pumped the clutch? Then closed it after you pumped it a handful of times?

If so, this might be bad for those who have not bleed in a long time being the slave builds up water. Remember the milky oil that came out of mine when we bled it after I bought it. Could suck some of that water back into the system from the bleeder.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
So the peddle pushes a rod through the firewall to activate a hydraulic cylinder? I thought the hydraulic pump was on the cab side on the peddle right along with the neutral safety switch and just fluid hoses went through the firewall.

Never looked at it to see.

I'm not sure what you did for the solo bleeding, you meen on the bleeder valve you stuck a hose and put it into a bottle and just left it open while you pumped the clutch? Then closed it after you pumped it a handful of times?

If so, this might be bad for those who have not bleed in a long time being the slave builds up water. Remember the milky oil that came out of mine when we bled it after I bought it. Could suck some of that water back into the system from the bleeder.
yup that's how it works undoing the bolts in the foot well are a extreme pain
I have small hands tho, a elbow socket in pretty much needed to get the upper one off. Yes I pumped 4 times then closed it added fluid repeated lol no I just used an empty water bottle filled it up halfway with brake fluid.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
yup that's how it work undoing the bolts in the foot well are a extreme pain
I have small hands tho, a elbow socket in pretty much needed to get the upper one off. Yes I pumped 4 times then closed it added fluid repeated lol no I just used an empty water bottle filled it up halfway with brake fluid.
Gotchya, I assumed there was an interior hydraulic pump being he said there was fluid in the car. Must be from something else.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Part of they clutch master cylinder sticks inside of the cabin so a leaking CMC will leave fluid in the carpet.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a picture of mine this **** looks busted......
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah that thing's done lol
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna have to replace it this weekend cause sometimes it won't let get into gear unless I pump it a few times. Here's a better view of CMC and a picture of the SC
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts