Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch opinons

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch opinons

I have a 2000 civic si. I am trying to find out what you guys are running and what is worth buying and what isn't. Thank you
Old 12-25-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Clutch opinons (Vtecnsi00)

if you're running a stock motor, the stock clutch is fine.

act hdss is a good mildly agressive disc.

search this forums archive's for clutch / clutch suggestions and i'm sure you'll find billions of results.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:59 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecnsi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am trying to find out what you guys are running and what is worth buying and what isn't.</TD></TR></TABLE>
OEM Honda.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch opinons (Targa250R)

oem
Old 12-25-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Clutch opinons (IC33)

my oem honda is trashed, would like to run an act street/strip and xtreme or heavy duty plate w/ some type of chrome moly flywheel.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecnsi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my oem honda is trashed, would like to run an act street/strip and xtreme or heavy duty plate w/ some type of chrome moly flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds good. i run the act hdss with the 9 lb prolite flywheel. awesome setup. the clutch is a little over kill for my stock motor, but when i bought it i wasn't planning on it remaining stock for too long. but 10 months later it's still stock , the clutch grabs like new, and my transmission hasn't fallen apart yet - it's getting close though.

anyways, a light flywheel owns - don't listen to what people say about them being hard to drive or whatever - it's all bullshit. and use the least agressive clutch that is capable of holding the amount of torque your engine makes.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Clutch opinons (jwn7)

i think the prolite flywheel is overkill for my setup but i would like a chrome moly flywheel thats about 9-10 lbs. Thanks for the great imput
Old 12-25-2004, 09:05 PM

it's not overkill believe me. i wish i would have bought the 5.5 lb tilton instead.

seriously go as light as you can. i PROMISE you won't regret it.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:13 PM

Has anyone ever used a spoon flywheel?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My OEM Honda (original equipment that came with the car off the assembly line) clutch just exploded on Christmas with 251,000 miles on it. I was impressed it made it that long. There are pieces of springs and metal and chaff and all sorts of good stuff on my garage floor from when I took it out. I'm putting an OEM replacement in tomorrow .
Old 12-27-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South bend clutch with Fidanza 8lb flywheel. grips like crazy way better than my CM stage 3 and the pedal feels stock
Old 12-27-2004, 11:13 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
seriously go as light as you can. i PROMISE you won't regret it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless he drives in traffic a lot or likes to use his A/C a lot and needs to merge into busy traffic from a dead stop.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Clutch opinons (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless he drives in traffic a lot or likes to use his A/C a lot and needs to merge into busy traffic from a dead stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bullshit. i do it all the time (except i don't have ac) and there are no issues at all. you probably just need to work on modulating the clutch and throttle
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My philosophy is run the softest clutch that will still hold the power. Then again, I'm not a drag racer.

Grabby clutches create drivetrain shock that puts unnecessary stress on the entire driveline.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch opinons (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless he drives in traffic a lot or likes to use his A/C a lot and needs to merge into busy traffic from a dead stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you assuming he can't drive or something? I've never had a bit of trouble driving with a light flywheel.

I don't have A/C, but I don't see what that has to do with a flywheel.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch opinons (JeffS)

You will have hard time launching on ACT HDSS, you can get used to it though on the stock motor I say it's an overkill. You can use lighter flywheel but it will be harder to drive in normal conditions, and launching also.

I would suggest just getting an exedy stage 1 and get over it. Feel close to stock grabs a little bit better. The best clutch for almost stock car (bolt ons).
Old 12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bullshit. i do it all the time (except i don't have ac) and there are no issues at all. you probably just need to work on modulating the clutch and throttle </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, well it's not bullshit since I and many others on this board have noticed the very problems I mentioned after switching to a lightweight flywheel. Like most modifications done to a car, there are pros and cons to everything. It's a simple fact (and law of physics) that when you lighten a rotating mass that it will be easier/use less energy, to accelerate it (spinning). Take two metallic round discs of equal diameter but one is only half the mass of the other. Start to spin them up to the same RPM using the same amount of force/energy, the lighter disc will accelerate up to the desired RPM faster and ultimately use less energy than the heavier one. Once they are at the operating RPM, cut the power and let them spin down to a stop, the lighter one will stop long before the heavier one will because of it's lighter rotational mass. Take the same situation and instead of allowing them to spin freely until they stop, apply friction or a braking force to them. The wheel with the lighter mass will not only decelerate quicker but it will stop faster using less friction to do so than the heavier mass disc.

So to tie this all together, a lighter flywheel will consume less engine power when accelerating the engine and help the car to accelerate quicker/rev quicker. The downside of this is that the reduced mass of the flywheel not only slows quicker when power isn't applied to it, but it will lack the inertia to continue to rotate especially when friction is applied to it (when the clutch is applied to the flywheel). The result is that you must rev the engine higher to build more rotational inertia into the flywheel in order to move the same amount of mass = the car, especially from a dead stop.

If you still disagree that there's any negative effect, just check with the flywheel manufacturers and they will explain the same thing as I did to you. Also, if there was no negative effect to running a lightweight flywheel at all, Honda and every other car manufacturer would already be doing it.