Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch not shifting

I have a 2000 civic si, with a b16 motor and transmission. my problem is when i shift gears it wont go in, i tried replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders work good for a week or so, then gave me same problem again, most of times it helps if i bleed the clutch but not sure what the problem is. I have a ACT pressure plate and flywheel. I adjusted the clutch pedal to max, which is clost to half a thread plus superglue. lol. Any ideas? this is going to be like the 3rd master cylinder im going to replace after that new transmission but most people are saying its not the transmission.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch not shifting

your clutch could be broken, either the spring is broken or the clutch came apart.....

does it feel like the clutch has alot of air in the lines? sinks to the bottom and won't come back up?

if so it' probably your clutch, drop the transmission and take a look at your clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my clutch does not seem like it has alot of air in it, when i bleed the clutch there are close to no airbubbles as far as i can tell it comes out smooth. and when i step on the clutch it does not sink to the bottom as if it wasnt pressurized. it goes down hard because of the act pressure plate, but taking it apart is the next thing for me to do, i just recently replaced the master cylinder again. and hope it works better. just hope alittle that the old ones couldnt hold up to the pressure.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You say that when you bleed the clutch there are *close* to no air bubbles. No air should get into the system after bleeding, even just a little. Are you slowly losing fluid over time? When it's hard to get into gear, you might try to push the car with the clutch depressed and see if the clutch is definately not disengaging. If it's not, you'll hear it dragging from under the hood.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well as far as i know there are no air bubbles i just said close to no airbubbles cuz no one can be 100 percent certain. and i am not losing fluid no leaks, its just that i have to force the shifter to go in, it doesnt pop out or anything.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you haven't already, find out for certain that the clutch isn't working correctly. Once you are sure that the problem getting into gear is from the clutch not letting out all the way, measure the slave cylinder tip's travel length when the problem is occurring. If you compare the distance the slave moves to someone with the same clutch system that is known to work properly, you can see if it's moving enough. If it moves the right amount and the clutch isn't letting out, the fork is probably bent.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the car off can you shift through all the gears?

I had a similar issue with my old H22a, one time the tabs holding/centering the pressure plate broke and it shifted. Another time one of the springs off the clutch disc popped out and jammed the pressure plate. Each time I could not shift through the gears while the car was running but when the car is off I could shift through all the gears.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when the car is off, it shifts fine, i recently replaced my clutch master cylinder for the 4th time and it is not giving me much problems it shifts fine now, except for first gear i might have to double pump but its liveable for awhile, give it a month or so and probably the cylinder might go bad again. who knows, thats one reason why i dont know if its really the clutch plate, or spring, because whenever i replace the master cylinder it works fine.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It may be that when you thoroughly bleed the system it works fine, rather than replacing the MC, since you bleed it each time you replace it.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have bleaded the clutch many times in the past same result, only good for a few days, one time i got so mad i bleaded a whole entire bottle of brake fluid, the big one.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's what I mean. The theory is you replace the MC and it works for a few days because you bled the system, the same way it works a few days when you bleed it without replacing the MC. In that case there would have to be air getting in the system somewhere. That's the only reason bleeding it would make it work a few days. If you replace any parts again, try a different brand.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have tried that , when i bought any new parts, i am trying to go with different brands, because the old ones dont seem to hold up, i've replace the master , slave cylinders, and also the metal hose line that links to the slave cylinder, replaced it more because i stripped it trying to put it in with wrong tools. since my replacement with the master cylinder it has worked better, but there are still times when first gear doesnt go in, but it is an improvement before the replacement was put in. I have bleeded the clutch many times, and not sure if bleeding it out even more would help, dont seem any bubbles.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny might be dry
Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

refilled the tranny with 2 and a half quarts about under 2 years ago, and changed the transmission fluids again a few days ago, same problem, the only thing that help was when i changed the master cylinder and bleeded the clutch.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, first bleeded isn't now, nor will it ever be, a word. It's "bled".

Now, have you been bench bleeding your new master cylinders or have you just been bleeding them once mounted?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, sorry about that, i kept thinking of the word bleeder, your right should of been bled. well even since i put in th new master cylinder like last week, i did bled it a few times to make sure there are no air bubbles, after that it works better, maybe that cylinder just couldnt handle the pressure. but with this new one it works kinda better, eventhough from time to time sometimes first gear needs to be double pumped on the clutch pedal to switch gear.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could have a bad release bearing and it's just not engaging fully
Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bad relase barring and or fork
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i would be thinking it was the bearings but whenever i changed the master cylinder and bled the clutch it works better, if it was the bearings wouldnt bleeding the clutch do nothing to help
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try taking the tranny out and inspect the clutch and pressure plate
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably will do that this weekend if i have time,
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a b20 with b16 tranny had same problem... 1st check fluids... but what happen to me is the shift mechnism in the tranny broke guy at tranny shop charged me $100 to replace or throwout bearing... i took out my tranny 3 times in 2 days not fun... take out tranny and go get it look at