Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already.

I installed an exedy organic clutch, and in the process of installing the clutch I also installed a new pilot bearing, and a new throwout bearing, which was included with the clutch. Now once I got the car started I noticed that when the clutch is pressed all the way to the floor it makes a whining noise, but when I let off the clutch *slightly* it goes away. I really mean slightly, like if I let up 1/2" it goes away.

Is the pedal adjustable? If so, maybe it is going too far down and hitting something inside the tranny? I noticed that on most threads on this subject it is the throwout bearing, but mine should be new, and it would probably keep making that noise even if I let it out a little bit right?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already. (redman223)

If it's cable you can adjust it, hydraulics are self adjusting.

If the bearing is of poor quality, they can do that, it could also be faulty. I pack the inner race of the bearings with high temp grease so the clutch particles do not have a way to get into the bearing itself. You may have simply gotten a bad bearing/wrong type/style.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already. (slowcivic2k)

Well I guess I have no choice but to drop the tranny and replace the throwout bearing, hopefully thats the only thing wrong with it and the noise will go away afterwards. Wont have time to do it for awhile though, how will this affect the car/clutch? I am getting the car tuned thursday and will probably be able to change the bearing out the week after or so.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already. (redman223)

edit post.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you remember to lube it beforehand?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already. (97Ej6mike)

I didnt put any lube on the bearing itself, but I put lots of grease on everything else when the clutch was being put in the car. Do you mean actually opening up the bearing and putting grease inside it? If so, the I definitely didnt do that.

Even so, if that was the problem wouldn't it be making those noises all the time, and not just when its 100% pressed down? It stops if I back let it out even a tiny amount. I can drive fine, I just have to not press the clutch down all the way, which is annoying.

Maybe the bearing was bad to begin with.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I had 2 other people look at it and one said it could be the throwout bearing, and another said it is just pushing too far down and hitting the disk, and that I should adjust the pedal a little bit to stop the sound.

I am thinking about adjusting the pedal asap, because when I let off just a tiny amount the noise goes away, and it shifts just fine. I could take out tons of space and it would still go into gear easily. it seems like the clutch goes down way farther than it has to. I have never adjusted it in the six years I have owned it. Now if I adjust it and that noise shows up again sometime, then I am gonna drop the tranny and replace the bearing.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:55 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Clutch noise when pressed to the floor, put in new throwout bearing already. (red

Originally Posted by redman223
Well I had 2 other people look at it and one said it could be the throwout bearing, and another said it is just pushing too far down and hitting the disk, and that I should adjust the pedal a little bit to stop the sound.

I am thinking about adjusting the pedal asap, because when I let off just a tiny amount the noise goes away, and it shifts just fine. I could take out tons of space and it would still go into gear easily. it seems like the clutch goes down way farther than it has to. I have never adjusted it in the six years I have owned it. Now if I adjust it and that noise shows up again sometime, then I am gonna drop the tranny and replace the bearing.
It's easy to adjust, 12mm wrench crack the nut that locks the rod that goes to the master cylinder through the firewall, spin the rod to adjust and tighten back the locking nut ! Voilą