Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch/main seal Woes.... searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/main seal Woes.... searched

Ive recently been having a odd problem with my clutch lately in the cold mornings, I'll go to shift into gears, and i'll let the clutch out, go to accel, and the car will stutter...then u can feel the clutch engage fully and zoom your off like normal.

So i went to napa today to price a new clutch, after decribing the problem to the guy hes like oh man, that sounds like your rear main seal is goen. Then tells me how if the clutch were worn, i'd noticeably hear the rivets scraping, but since the clutch stutters like that and then catches fully, the most probable casue in teh rear main seal is leaking oil onto the clutch making it slip... after the car warms up the problem goes away (im thinking the seal expands due to heat and seals itself)..

Does this sound like a accurate diagnosis???
TIA
...if so fuxor, 4 hard to get to parts

Cliffs: clutch stutters in mornings, after car warms up prob goes away... clutch slippage/stutter though when it does happen, then engages
Old 12-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: Clutch/main seal Woes.... searched (climbermonkey)

thats clutch chatter, etc... you may still need a new clutch, but I did have a leaky rear main and my clutch would just slip at high rpm shifts.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Clutch/main seal Woes.... searched (.Beaver)

rule of thumb....

replace the main seal, when u replace the clucth set up as well ( 2 @ once)
Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/main seal Woes.... searched (sleeper101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeper101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rule of thumb....

replace the main seal, when u replace the clucth set up as well ( 2 @ once) </TD></TR></TABLE>

No crap. It's easy to change out down there, it's a part that goes bad commonly, and it's a ton easier to drop the tranny once than to drop it a few times.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem about three years ago. I took the car in to get my clutch replaced. TOld the mechanic to change all the seals including the ones for the axles. I pick up the car and mechanic said he did everything and even wrote it on the receipt.

A couple of days go by and I notice tranny fluid on the floor where I park my garage. Go back to the mechanic and he claims the transmission must have broken.

I go to another mechanic, cough up the cash again. They dropo the tranny and find the new clutch is soaked in oil because the car was still sporting the factory seals. One of them was busted and leaking everywhere.

So does your clutch slip if you run your engine hard? Try it on 2nd and 3rd. If it does, it may be that.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_in_LA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_in_LA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem about three years ago. I took the car in to get my clutch replaced. TOld the mechanic to change all the seals including the ones for the axles. I pick up the car and mechanic said he did everything and even wrote it on the receipt.

A couple of days go by and I notice tranny fluid on the floor where I park my garage. Go back to the mechanic and he claims the transmission must have broken.

I go to another mechanic, cough up the cash again. They dropo the tranny and find the new clutch is soaked in oil because the car was still sporting the factory seals. One of them was busted and leaking everywhere.

So does your clutch slip if you run your engine hard? Try it on 2nd and 3rd. If it does, it may be that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch...that had to suck moneky ***** to cough up that much cash only to have it break again... for bad mechanics

Yeah, thats when i notice it..when im in 2nd and try to accel decently ..it stutters/chatters.. catches and Then your off and running.

Good idea, ...replace seal and clutch at the same time. Only pooper is that to get to the seal gotta take the flywheel off, but if your in that far with everything apart...makes sense.

grr for things breaking in cold weather and no time to work on things
Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (climbermonkey)

Alright ...one more for ya, on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to change out the clutch and main seal?? Only thing i kinda will need to pick up/buy is a ball joint tool, i think. Seeing as i am huring for $, im hoping i can do it myself.

Ive never done a clutch b4, but im confident i could figure it out with a manual, and ive done some search feature fun on here of how to remove the tranny and flywheel.

Thanx