Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Knocking/Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Knocking/Grinding

Originally Posted by ReVeNgEd-SoN
Do you have a lighten flywheel? I know sometimes they tend to bang around a bit because of the weight difference unless your engaging/disengaging.
yes i do but it was never a problem before. I've had the lightened flywheel, and this is not a banging around a bit, this thing is knocking super loud.

Again i ask is it possible that if I over TQ the pressure plate that the clutch will do this?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimster480
o **** 18. ROFL im pretty sure i have 30+ ft/lb on mine :/ Maybe its TQ'd so much that the clutch cant get in the center because its being held in there so tightly?

The clutch i Bought was used, from a guy who blew his motor, he was seling a bunch of D series parts. He said he never had any issues with it, but idk.
i dont think over torquing would do this. the mating surfaces on the flywheel and pressure plate should mate up and once they do i dont think theres any way to get the pressure plate too tight. but even if it was, like i said earlier......if the disc is slightly off center.......once you install the transmission and use the clutch one time........the disc should center itself on the input shaft. did you test fit the disc on the input shaft to make sure it splines nice and snug?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
i dont think over torquing would do this. the mating surfaces on the flywheel and pressure plate should mate up and once they do i dont think theres any way to get the pressure plate too tight. but even if it was, like i said earlier......if the disc is slightly off center.......once you install the transmission and use the clutch one time........the disc should center itself on the input shaft. did you test fit the disc on the input shaft to make sure it splines nice and snug?
no i didnt, i made sure that it was in place on the flywheel though and that it fit on there properly.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really might be the flywheel cause the new clutch. It's always something else that you wouldn't think it would be because it didn't happen before.

I still think it's the flywheel possibly :S I could be wrong though lol.

Either that or the clutch was just **** to begin with and the guy lied.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i've owned 3 different xtd clutches. i must say that i was not pleased with them, but i never experienced any problems like this

what does the hub on the clutch disk look like? also is there enough friction material left on the pads or is it down to the rivets.

my original thought was a bad pressure plate but you tried two different ones so it's like one in a million that both PP's could be bad.

also check the bellhousing for shiny spots where it could be hitting this is possible.

and one last thing. are you by any chance running the dust cover on the tranny. from personal experience i accidentally bent the dust cover and it was getting hit by the flywheel and it make a terrible knocking noise
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
well i've owned 3 different xtd clutches. i must say that i was not pleased with them, but i never experienced any problems like this

what does the hub on the clutch disk look like? also is there enough friction material left on the pads or is it down to the rivets.

my original thought was a bad pressure plate but you tried two different ones so it's like one in a million that both PP's could be bad.

also check the bellhousing for shiny spots where it could be hitting this is possible.

and one last thing. are you by any chance running the dust cover on the tranny. from personal experience i accidentally bent the dust cover and it was getting hit by the flywheel and it make a terrible knocking noise
i dont have a dust cover. The clutch only bangs when completely engaged (or disengaged?) whichever is when the pedal is not pushed lol. And the pads have a ton of life on them, they are nowhere near the rivets. its like a 1/4th of an inch or more atleast until the rivets.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any other ideas?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is very odd, that is pretty much all i can think of. are you 100% positive that something isn't hitting in the bellhousing

the clutch is disengaged when the pedal is NOT pushed in, meaning the throwout bearing is not pushed against the pressure plate

if this isn't the case i'd try a different clutch and if it still does it maybe the problem lies in the transmission such as an input shaft bearing since the input shaft spins whether or not you are in gear or in neutral
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
this is very odd, that is pretty much all i can think of. are you 100% positive that something isn't hitting in the bellhousing

the clutch is disengaged when the pedal is NOT pushed in, meaning the throwout bearing is not pushed against the pressure plate

if this isn't the case i'd try a different clutch and if it still does it maybe the problem lies in the transmission such as an input shaft bearing since the input shaft spins whether or not you are in gear or in neutral
ok well it happens only when the clutch is fully disengaged. Like i can move back and forth and bring the pedal almost all the way to the top without making the noise, and we were driving the car around for like 10 mins after we assembled it the first time and it doesnt make the noise, so its not the tranny. Especially since there were marks on the clutch where it was hitting w/e it was hitting
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say get rid of the clutch and start with all new parts.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say get rid of the clutch and start with all new parts.
i was thinking of ordering a new 6 puck disk from Competition clutch to replace the one that broke. but i dont have money to buy a new clutch again.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, you could try that. but if the problem is not the disc then youll have to get some other part AND possibly another disc. and if its not that then you might need 3 parts. i definitely understand about being low on funds. do these have a pilot bushing?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and btw disengaged is pedal on the floor. engaged is foot off the pedal.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, you could try that. but if the problem is not the disc then youll have to get some other part AND possibly another disc. and if its not that then you might need 3 parts. i definitely understand about being low on funds. do these have a pilot bushing?
does what have a pilot bushing?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Flywheel, does it have pilot bearing? in the middle
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondatherdm
Flywheel, does it have pilot bearing? in the middle
idk it probably does.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i forgot about the pilot bearing. It should have one if not that may be the problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
i forgot about the pilot bearing. It should have one if not that may be the problem.
its the little ring in the center of the flywheel right?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, when i got my exedy kit it came with it, i would replace that, also you cant over tighten the pressure plate. When i did clutch on my b16 the disk wasnt perfectly in the center and it was just fine. Also you need to put SLIGHT amount of lube on the surface where TO bearing moves and input shaft splines. I would have machine shop check the flywheel surface, make sure its not warped
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah pilot bushing/bearing needs to be there and replaced with the clutch. also i just happened to think.......when you tightened the pressure plate did you say the clutch disc wouldnt stay centered? it would still move around? if so then you have a problem with the clutch disc is too worn(you said it looked pretty meaty though, your pressure plate isnt clamping down right.....or your flywheel clearances arent right.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah pilot bushing/bearing needs to be there and replaced with the clutch. also i just happened to think.......when you tightened the pressure plate did you say the clutch disc wouldnt stay centered? it would still move around? if so then you have a problem with the clutch disc is too worn(you said it looked pretty meaty though, your pressure plate isnt clamping down right.....or your flywheel clearances arent right.
no after the clutch plate is tightened down it doesnt move around. It just doesnt stay perfectly in the center with the alightment tool, so I have to hold it there until the pressure plate is down.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahhhhh, well id say whatever is pushing the disc off-center is your problem, could be any of the 3 major components.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahhhhh, well id say whatever is pushing the disc off-center is your problem, could be any of the 3 major components.
well it cant be the clutch pushing the clutch. And its not the pressure plate because ive tried 2 of them now. So i think its the flywheel itself.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
well it cant be the clutch pushing the clutch. And its not the pressure plate because ive tried 2 of them now. So i think its the flywheel itself.
unless maybe the clutch is warped.

Quick Reply: Clutch Knocking/Grinding