Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch issues, replacement suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues, replacement suggestion

Well basically my clutch in my B16A2 is royally screwed. The car still moves but it chatters a lot on take off, reverse, and down shifting. When I accelerate I can't accelerate too much or the trans will disengage. It just revs. I will be going 50 in 5th and just push down the peddle and RPMs go up, heavy chatter, then smoothness but my tach is showing 7000 and the speedo still says 50 and dropping.

OK so yeah I need a new clutch. My mechanic after hearing me explain what it was doing BEFORE this ( it was just chattering on take off, reverse and down shifting but remained engaged when accelerating) said I needed a new clutch. I need a clutch that'll last. I'm poor though and I go to a Honda specific mechanic and though he's cheaper than the dealer 45 minutes away, I'm still poor. I was wondering would it be alright to use an OE replacement clutch or should I just spend the extra for the Exedy stage 1 to make sure it lasts. I'm pretty much stuck with this car until I finish college so I have to keep it running and a long lasting clutch would be nice.

By the way it was a clutchmaster that broke and according to my mechanic, it hadn't been in there too long. Previous owner had put it in when he put a new trans in. Thank you for any input.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch issues, replacement suggestion (Techy)

i got a swap....the exedy stage 1 is great,i got it after clutch was stolen,itll last a long time,if ur clutch is goign bad,just oem replace it,u need 1,if u have the cash for a exedy get that,but if u really need a clutch now,get oem
Old 11-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Clutch issues, replacement suggestion (Mikes2000civicsi)

im looking for a new clutch too, was looking at the fidanza two point one carbon/kevlar clutch. anyone heard anything on these?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The exedy clutch is great. I have been rockin' one in my D series for almost a year now, and it engages smooth and holds pretty much whatever I throw at it.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Clutch issues, replacement suggestion (Techy)

what are your mods? the more hp u have the higher the holding power. n depend on how you drive. u'll be surprise how long a clutch last when a newbie drives it. not very long. not saying you're a bad driver.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch issues, replacement suggestion (kay20adc2)

everything is stock on this B16 outside the AEM short ram and the unknown exhaust. It has a clutch master clutch in it now (what exactly I don't know). I'm not sure if I broke it or if it was gonna happen anyway. I drive this thing the same way I drove my old 95 EX and it was stock outside APC intake and muffler ( my brother did it not me I hate APC, it used to be his car) on the original D16Z6. Original clutch even.

When this happened I was doing an errand for work. After getting the crap I needed i left were I was and turned right on a 4 lane road and then found the nearest median to turn around in (no left turn where I was leaving). Well It was heavy traffic. I had no choice but to take the next gap I could find and haul ***. I also needed to be in the right lane too so that didn't help anything. Anyway I take off, run through first up to about I don't know 5500 RPMs or so and then shift. Well I miss shifted and ground 2nd, well I push the clutch back in and get it into second. Well it happened again shifting into third. OK that's never happened to me before. I get to the red light and run my shifter through all the gears to make sure it's ok. I take off in first no problems and go through the gear. Well I get back to work and I try to downshift into second. Well the shifter wouldn't go. It refused to go into second. Well I coast into the parking lot and I put it in neutral and let the clutch out well it wasn't coming out. only an inch maybe. Well I push back down on it and try to put it first. Well it worked and the clutch came back out all the way but kinda slow, so I ran a few laps in the parking lot to make sure all the gears were working. They were for the time being. My brother called me while I was at work (reminding me some things about the concert we were going to the next night ) I tell him what happened. About an hour later he shows up and asks for my keys so he can check it. He takes my car and comes back about half an hour later and tells me what it's doing.

So that's the story of what happened. Did I f up my clutch or do ya'll think it was going to happen anyway? Like I said I drive this thing the same as my old 95 EX Coupe. I had that old Z6 powered thing for 2 years and this B16 96 for only 2 months.

Again would a cheap OE replacement be good enough cause I do have a little fun with my car ever now and then (at least once a week) or do ya'll think I should spend the extra money for an Exedy for assurance?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you mean like an auto zone OEM replacement then I wouldnt do that. Changed the clutch on a GSR 3 times in 6 months because of those. Then finally got a good clutch and it has been in there for almost a year, still running strong.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EH6TunerDaniel)

I hate autozone any way. their parts suck. I go to NAPA usually. Otherwise I go to Advance or O'Reilly's. I kinda doubt there's much of a difference though.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

exedy stage 1 = all the time vtec
Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mikes2000civicsi)

I think I will order an Exedy stage 1 from Jegs or somebody (give a good suggestion of where to buy if you have a better one please). My dad is probably gonna let me drive his 98 Tacoma until I get my hatch back on the road again so waiting is no longer a huge issue.

Ya wanna know what sucked. My clutch got worse while I was out on a delivery (catering) in another town. I just barely got to the place an barely got back to work. Thank god my dad was nice enough to give me the keys to the truck today.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I just got my clutch but something on the box bugs me. It says "Do not use motorsport clutches on normal street cars." Well mine's not necessarily a normal car but it ain't no race car either. Are these things OK for daily driving?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with the ACT stage 1 clutch...i mean if your going with just basic bolt ons for now...but if you have a turbo/supercharged motor/built then go with a stage 2.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

dude trust me its fine,cuz they only recommend oem repalcemnts,this is kinda but a little better,trust me install it,and youll think your clutch is the next baby jesus