Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Interlock Bypass help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Interlock Bypass help

Hi guys,

Just to let everyone know..I'm new here. I've been scouring the internet and the forums and can't find a clear answer, and electrical is not my expertise, so I'm hoping for at least 4 "newb" burns and some advice to point me in the right direction.

This is what has happened and what I've done to correct it.

About a week ago, my 94 Del Sol Si mysteriously wouldn't turn on after getting to a gas station. Accessories light up, fuel pump pressurizes, no spark to the engine. Found out my interlock switch was not being engaged to send a signal to the starter to turn the engine over. After not being able to get to the switch to replace the grommet that engages the switch, a friend and I did an bypass, and clipped the wires going to the switch, used a quick connector and my car started right up.

Yesterday she did not want to start (same symptoms as the week before), so I got down there, did a manual splice to see if she would turn over, got nothing. Weather took control of the situation, and I was unable to investigate further. I will be double checking my fuses and attempting another quick connector as well. If that does not take, I was wondering if either of these options would work.

1 - Push Start Button - Looking at how these are wired in, would this bypass the interlock switch (which is apparently only on US models) for ignition? My head is saying it won't, since it taps into the ignition and the signal won't pass the bypass.

2 - An after market starter switch - this would go straight to the starter (which is where the interlock bypass goes), and would be a secondary switch, toggle button, or key that I would engage before cranking up the ignition. In theory, this would bypass the bypass that isn't working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Interlock Bypass help

I will say, you seem a lot smarter than some people who post here. I feel like a service manual would help you immensely in many situations. I found the one for my EJ6 in the stickies, but I'm not sure about the Sol.

If it were me, I wouldn't do the bypass. some of these components have a built-in resistance, and by trying to get around it, that risks a blown fuse. (Not the worst thing ever, but still.)

First thing, of course is check the fuse. It seems like that 'quick fix' may have let another issue continue to happen.

If the fuse checks out, I would test the interlock switch. Take it out, or if you really wanna be down there with a DMM you could test it down there. When the button is depressed, the clutch pedal would be up, so there should be no continuity. When it's no pressed in, the clutch pedal would be down, it should have continuity. If it doesn't have continuity, replace the switch and solder the connector back on, and cover with shrink tubing or electrical tape. Then adjust it.

BUT! Solder the connector back on anyway (dag nabbit :v). If the switch does work, and the no start still occurs, there is a short somewhere, and you need to move the red probe of the DMM along the power wire with the switch closed, have the black on a body ground, and just fish for that short. (My favorite thing ever)

Any other questions, the other forum guys usually know more than me lol
Old 06-13-2015, 06:25 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Your issue isn't the clutch interlock switch. Look over the install of the push start.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm no dummy, this is just a very new issue to me, so I'm doing my best to remedy it. I do have a Haynes manual, which definitely helped me pinpoint the switch as my issue. I will hopefully be able to investigate today after work (yeah I'm on here while at work...gotta love internet access), if the weather holds. I will first try to resplice my wires (because no one else seems to have had issues doing this bypass), check my fuses and starter before making any hasty decisions about toggle switches and push start buttons.

Now that I think about it...I may have shorted something out because my interior lights stopped working after the bypass and I haven't investigated that situation yet (work keeps getting in the way).

Hopefully I will be up and running soon....because I have way too much fun with this car.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't purchased a button yet, I was just wondering if one would bypass the interlock bypass.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If the car has cruise control, the clutch pedal has two switches, with the safety starter switch located highest on the pedal and the cruise switch located lower on the pedal.

Did you check the higher switch? Did you check whether the rubber/plastic stopper just fell out?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@RonJ@HT Yes...the cruise control hasn't worked since before I purchased the vehicle. That switch has been removed. The wires for the connector to the top switch (clutch pedal switch A) were spliced because the stopper broke and we could not get to the stopper or remove the the clutch pedal switch. The splice was working for about a week, and failed on me yesterday. I will have a better update on the situation once I am out of work and can take a look at it late this afternoon.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I dont understand how the switch is still a problem if you bypassed it. You stated that your haynes manual help you locate switch and you stated you connected the wires with a butt connecter.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think his starter may be failing (failed?).
Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your starter cut RELAY...if it failed, it wouldnt matter if you had bypassed the clutch interlock switch or not. In the 92-95 FSM it is connector C433 on pages 23-24 and 23-25, and the wiring diagrams on 23-56 respectively. If you can read wiring diagrams, it's a pretty simply circuit to diagnose. As for your interior lights, they route through the engine fusebox, No. 36 fuse 50A, and then enter the cabin harness to the cabin fusebox at No.3 fuse 7.5A.

Seeing as the starter circuit routes through Engine Fuse No. 39 (50A) and the Interior Lights route through Engine Fuse No.36, there should be no way the splicing you did on the clutch interlock switch would cause/interfere with the interior lights.

That being said, sloppy splicing, not properly insulating your connections, or damaging other wires in the vicinity could very easily cause such a problem, no accusations here, simply facts. You should first check all your factory grounds, then carefully inspect the vicinity of your work for frayed/kinked/broken wires, following the standard fuse inspection.

I hope any of this helps you. Good luck.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 06-13-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I tested my starter, battery and check all the fuses in relation to starting/ignition. I took another pass at splicing the wires again. I somehow got my banana hands in there and stripped the wires some more, threw some alligator clips on there, and she fired up fine. That was the more important thing to handle.

@MisereNoire - I will take a look at those fuses in relation to my interior lights
Old 06-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That little rubber bumper that actuates the clutch switch fell out on my Del Sol earlier this week. I got the car home by rolling it off to start it. I would love to put a bumper back in there. Just not sure I can get my hands up in there to do that. I pulled the connector off the switch and used a paper clip to jumper the wires so the car thinks the clutch is pushed in. Not the safest, but til I get another bumper and get it put in there, that will work.

I even thought about adjusting the switch closer to the striker. Does anyone know if there is enough adjustment in the switch to get this work?

This might even be a solution for the OP also.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:05 AM
The Credible Hulk

Once you get the issue figure out it's pretty easy to get that plastic bumper piece in there for the clutch safety switch and the new ones are way more durable than the original. I think they may even be delrin.

Get a piece of double sided tape and stick the new switch bumper to a LONG flat head screwdriver. It'll go in a LOT easier than trying to get your hand in there!
Old 11-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Once you get the issue figure out it's pretty easy to get that plastic bumper piece in there for the clutch safety switch and the new ones are way more durable than the original. I think they may even be delrin.

Get a piece of double sided tape and stick the new switch bumper to a LONG flat head screwdriver. It'll go in a LOT easier than trying to get your hand in there!
dude...you just saved me A LOT of hassle and headache. I couldn’t figure it out for the life of me, I kept trying with my thumb to no avail. Your lil tape/screwdriver trick with a bit of grease on the tip of the plastic piece worked brilliantly. I can’t thank u enough 😊