Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch and gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and gear problem

I backed our honda out to get the truck BUT after getting the Honda out then trying to pull it back into the drive way the clutch on our Honda stayed depressed, the car won’t go into gear when ignition is on but when it is not on it will. If I turn the car on when it's in neutral it jumps forward wjile in neutral. When I try to put the car in gear with car on, it won’t go into 1st, 2nd, 3rd or reverse and the gears makes a grinding noise. All the fluids are full and there are no leaks. What do I need to do?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Clutch and gear problem

You already bumped a thread to ask this same question. Check the slave cylinder.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry did not mean to bump but I could not post at that time and panicked trying to get answer. No offence meant. On a learning curve here on this site.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc has it. Either the slave or the clutch master. Check both as they are both probably leaking fluid. Move the little rubber gasket and shine a flashlight up at it from under the dash. By that I mean looking up from where the pedals are.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rickkane,
Husband said that he put some brake fluid in and will check the area you mentioned under the dash where the pedals are. When he went out to check the car after I backed it out he said he pulled the pedal out and it stayed but he has had to do that same thing before when it stuck.
This is a great site I wish they had one for rebuilding small boat engines. I rebuilt a boat engine, cleaned all the parts than realized if I had checked the compression first I may not had to have done all that work plus replace a lot of parts I ended up replacing.
javawake
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car's probably been leaking fluid. If your pedal stays to the floor, it means that the clutch isn't disengaging...usually because of lack of fluid. You'll need to find the leak, repair it, refill fluid, and bleed it. If the fluid isn't missing, you probably have an internal leak in the master or slave cylinder. Failing that, the clutch fork or the clutch itself might be the issue.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem, needed a new clutch and flywheel resurfaced
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ernie added some fluid and I had told him it may be a slow leak. He smiled and said he would check internal leak in the master or slave cylinder. He also said it had done it before and he just pulled the clutch up then too. Now my question is. Is it better to fix it now then to wait till it happens more often? For the most part he will fix something right off but this time he seems to be putting it off. Is the something that could be dangerous mistake?
Give this women a little information and she could be a nag. lol
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix it now before it gets worse. Unless you plan on constantly getting out of the car to check the fluid level, its pointless to leave it how it is. You got lucky that it happened at home. If it ran dry on fluid and you lost the clutch in traffic, youd be stranded. Find the source of the leak and fix it.