Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch fork/slave cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch fork/slave cylinder problem

((((((((((((what happened)))))))))))
alright guys today i was dropping my gf at her moms house so they can spend some time together. when i pulled up to the gate to of her moms house.. the car jerks forward and stalls.. no biggie i though till.. then i started it up.. and noticed i lost most(about 85%) of my pressure in my pedal(((just enough for it to spring back)... that was when i had thought (wtf.) cuz i have a comp clutch 4 puk disk and PP... (stage 5 i believe). i held the pedal to the floor and it would not allow me to put it into any gears.. so i try so see if i warped the PP or broke a spring in it. turned car off and put it n first held clutch down.. and started it... it started rolling forward with clutch pedal on floor.. i walked her to the door n pushed the car out of the driveway and into the road... i started it once more revved it to 4k rpms to c if i can hear and wierd rattling noices clanking (mabie from tranny) nothing at all.... i was stumbled for a little while... but i though hey the clutch is still locked in. so i put it in 1st and started it up and drove home revv matching while shifting(learned it when i broke the cable on my 91 da)

(((((((important part)))))) i told my brother to go press the pedal to the floor while i had the bumper off.. i stuck my finger in the little opening by the clutch lever fork.. against the pressure plate.... when he let off the throwout bearing NEVER got more then just touching the pressure plate .... when it moved away there was no engaugement (clammping on disk) that it should be doing... and i pushed on it as hard as possable.. and its stiff......... COULD THIS BE THE Slave Cylinder or a Bent Clutch fork.... i would really like to know. asap..
i dont want to tear it down.... it worked perfectly fine for 1 month when i did the clutch change..... and indecations of either if messed up or the pedal came out of adjustment (if they can be adjusted)

Clutch fluid is black 2500 miles mabie (idk why did a change when i did the clutch change)
never replaced my slave cylinder from when i did the swap in my car so it has roughly 175k miles on it

as i stated earlyer:
could i have bent the fork or broke the cylinder
or did my pedal come out of adjustment. some how

iv looked all over google.... nothing really helped all it said was leaks in hose... no clutch fluid...

P.s. i came across one post that said 6th gen civics are known for blowing seals in the slave clyinders.... i do not know if this is true.... cuz i couldnt find any other posts about it mabie somebody could say yes or no so i have a second opinion

Thanks for your help
posted by justen- Houston, tx
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: clutch fork/slave cylinder problem

How far does the slave cylinder rod travel when stepping on the clutch? If it barely moves, then it's a slave issue but if it moves about an inch, then there's a problem inside the clutch assembly. Put finger pressure on the fork pressing up against the slave rod when testing this.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's more common for the master cylinders to blow and eventually leak into the interior along the firewall.
When did you install the clutch kit? What car, what transmission/engine if swapped?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
How far does the slave cylinder rod travel when stepping on the clutch? If it barely moves, then it's a slave issue but if it moves about an inch, then there's a problem inside the clutch assembly. Put finger pressure on the fork pressing up against the slave rod when testing this.
moves about an inch (didnt messure it besides my finger) and the fork its tight
i did go ahead and change the master and slave to be sure.. but that narrows it down to the pressure plate.. i dont understand how i drove it home... cuz it still grabs... but i have no clutch disengagement.. if i put it in first and with the clutch pedal it id trys to disengauge apon start.. but when i put let it goes the tires try to spin... i guess i gotta take it apart and see..
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
It's more common for the master cylinders to blow and eventually leak into the interior along the firewall.
When did you install the clutch kit? What car, what transmission/engine if swapped?
clutch was installed 2 months ago MAX brand new... gsr tranny ls-turbo engine.

i changed master cyl and slave cyl. nothing still soft pedal.. its like the throwout bearing isnt even trying to push the pressure plate in

mabie i screwed up the pressure plate.. not sure tho but when i push clutch in and start it.. it starts but jerks forward like its trying to drive off BUT it spins without stalling...? clutch or pressure plate problems now idk but ima open it up this weekend and c

thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sometimes the clutch release fork will crack and it wont disengage.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To close the thread i found the problem... one of the flywheel bolts was not torqued to spex n loosed n backed out. Leaving deep scratches in disk. Replaced bolt retorqued em and replaced clutch works great that for the help tho guys i do mean it.. sometimes its jus better to take it apart and figure out the problem thread closed