Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch/Flywheel Setup Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Flywheel Setup Question

So I have to do my clutch on my B16A2...I already have an Exedy OE Replacement sitting in my garage, but before I throw that in I also want to do a lightenend flywheel. I have a good deal on a Fidanza 7.5lbs and I just wanted to see if anyone on H-T is running this setup (or similar) and how the setup is?

Also I know there is alot of speculation regarding lightened flywheels and them being bad for the motor/crankshaft etc. I was wondering if anyone can post their experience with a lightened flywheel because every thread I read (apart from H-T) has on one end "Its amazing" and on the other "Its bad/gotta change you driving style" and then theres the whole inertia and weight argument. I really want to free up a few pony's and just relieve some stress on the motor/drivetrain let me know what you guys thik

I also want to do ARP bolts with the flywheel...again if anyone has done it/ has any suggestions that would be awesome!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Clutch/Flywheel Setup Question

I have a Fidanza 7lb. You will have to slightly change your shifting style, but it'll be a quick process - you should have it down again in a drive or two to work. I also used ARP bolts for my pressure plate and flywheel. Use the included locktite/lube when torquing them down (to spec, following proper cross pattern), and you'll be fine.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I have a Fidanza 7lb. You will have to slightly change your shifting style, but it'll be a quick process - you should have it down again in a drive or two to work. I also used ARP bolts for my pressure plate and flywheel. Use the included locktite/lube when torquing them down (to spec, following proper cross pattern), and you'll be fine.
Sounds good! And yeah for the ARP bolts I will make sure to torque everything down to spec with the lube.

If I'm not mistaken though, the Fidanza is aluminium and the teeth are pressed onto the friction surface. I currently have a good deal through my buddy who gets parts for cheap (he's a dealer). He can get me an Exedy 8lbs. Its a solid one piece billet chromoly steel flywheel and it has the teeth milled not pressed.

My question now is, would the steel one be better than the aluminuim one in terms of durability and longevity? I just wanna be thorough with my work since I want to do this once and have it done right and not touch it until it needs to be and also minimize the risk of malfunction.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe it's pressed on. Looking at their website, and from what I remember of mine, they're bolted together.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I don't believe it's pressed on. Looking at their website, and from what I remember of mine, they're bolted together.
Hmm I see yeah i can see why you say that. I know Fidanza has a pretty good rep but Im just wondering if having a 'two piece' flywheel (if you wanna put it like that) is as durable as the 'one piece' billet from Exedy. I'm just trying to find the best application.