Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement

I replaced my clutch and flywheel about a week ago, and I've been babying it for about 450 city miles now - 800 city and highway miles. I noticed that after I got the car back together, the shifter has a weird movement to it. When I have the car in gear, and I'm just running at 10% throttle or whatever (just maintaining speed), the shifter sits in one position. When I give it more throttle (maybe 40%), the shifter **** moves backwards. It's like something is pulling on the shift linkage when I accelerate. Maybe it's the engine rotating slightly? I'm not sure why I would feel it now, if I didn't feel it with the other clutch. Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement (Aphelion)

i have the same problem. i thought it was my motor mounts so i replaced them all and it still did it. got the polyurethane insert on the torque mount and it still did it. somebody mentioned to me it could be the clutch or shift fork. doesnt make much sense but your story backs that up.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement (ham)

I was actually thinking it was the torque mount, cause I kinda visualize the engine torquing too much and pulling on the linkage. Thanks for sharing, hopefully we can both get our cars fixed
Old 06-12-2005, 06:59 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement (Aphelion)

what type of clutch is it?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl

maybe u need new shifter bushings or one of the screws fell out or broke
Old 06-12-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement (street dreams)

exedy racing stage 1 with a fidanza 7lb flywheel. yeah, it could be new shifter bearings too- but I think worn out shifter bearings would cause all around loose movement in the shifter, not the same movement backwards every time
Old 06-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope... none of the above.... dont waste your money... your going to need a new tranny within the next 5-10k miles if you stick with that clutch. The torque is to much for our trannies with higher miles.

Reasons..... I replaced my clutch on a 180xxx mile tranny and everything seamed fine. Then over time it started popping out of 3rd gear and 2nd gear. Couldnt hole a downshift with alot of grinding. 4th gear moved soooo violently. It pins back when i was on it and would bounce forward when i let off the gas.

It has nothing to do with the mounts/linkage/bushings. I bet you 100 dollars that if you were to open your tranny and wiggle the main spindle, it will have a little play when it shouldnt. My tranny had a rediculous amount of movement. I opened up the tranny earlier today and it was fucked. 2nd and 3rd shift forks done and gears were half stripped.

Is your input shaft bearing on its way out also? If you replace that, it might be able to save your tranny.

Im saying all this from experience. I did all the replacements to try and get rid of my same problem and none of them worked. Also, it was with the same clutch.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch and flywheel replaced - now weird shifter movement (dohcdelsol)

I think he's right. My tranny has a lot of miles and the prev owner put in a centerforce clutch. I think it pretty much destroyed the tranny.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Nope, that wasn't the case with my tranny. My dad and I did the clutch/flywheel install, and my dad is the one who reconnected the shift linkage. Last night I got up under the car and the bolt that connects one end of the shift stabilizer bar was just sitting in the hole - it wasn't screwed into the welded-on nut at all. Just a simple case of human error It gives me something to rag on my dad about though :D

Oh, and another thing: I know that if you shift hard with that clutch, it'll definitely wear the tranny out faster. I have perfected my shifting with my car so that it's just a hair slower than it would be if I slammed the gears, but it feels MUCH softer on the tranny. Shifting fast doesn't mean you have to slam gears while keeping the pedal pinned.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

is it good now?

so it was the bolt that goes through the stabilizer into a weld nut over on the trans by the shift fork?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:33 PM

yeah it's good now, and yes that was the one