Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Experience

ok so i've bought a ebay clutch, stage 2, for my D15B and i'm wondering how much this sort of clutch will take.
I know it'll need the 500 mile break in period but what can i expect in regards to performance and longevity.

thanks HT and toss some opinions this way.

~Ari
Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Experience

Originally Posted by Finnish_Racer
ok so i've bought a ebay clutch...
There's your answer.

Seriously if anyone has a legit answer for your specific concern the manufacturer will.

Lastly, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard ok things about the ebay clutches but only the stage 2 and up ones. i wouldnt really skimp out on something like a CLUTCH though becuase its very hard to replace it. i got an EXEDY stage 1 clutch in my GSR swap and it is very comfortable, yet it bites real hard and i can chirp (spin tires) into 4th gear :D
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
ZMX
Honda-Tech Member

Stage 2 is different from manufacturer to manufacturer. You have to give more information for us to at least have any idea.

Really though, I don't see why you're asking. Knowing about how long it should last doesn't change anything. Curiosity works, I suppose. Anyway, it will probably do what you'd expect from a clutch: grab just fine with the power you put to it and last according to how much you beat the **** out of it.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i get what you guys are saying. I mean i needed a clutch and i failed to do the proper research, and i feel like **** about that decision..but yes i will bite the bullet.

i truly want a fidanza stage 3 and a ACT prolite flywheel...but that will come in time. I dont mind the work to do a clutch swap....i enjoy the experience i get from it.

i just want this thing to be able to handle minor abuse when i get the urge to go zoom. lol

i'm not expecting it to last long....not even a year. but, i guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search f1 racing, xtd ckutch kit, ebay clutch kit, etc.

There are several threads on this with lots of information.

You get what you pay for.. Every clutch i ordered from ebay that was off brand the disc failed on me, also broken pressure plate once, but then some people have zero issues.

It's a hit or miss transaction with cheap parts like that.. One that i'm not willing to take a chance on.. I use competition stage 4 with oem resurfaced flywheel and have zero issues, only payed 340 shipped.

Well worth it, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend had a stage 3 F1 racing clutch from ebay. Lasted about 13k, 99.9% of which was regular, everyday driving. Maybe you'll get lucky though.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah i get it....well i mean i've always gotten it.
lol i get what i pay for, and i know it'll work for me, and when it dies, i'll be all over the Fidanza and ACT like white on rice.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Finnish_Racer
yeah i get what you guys are saying. I mean i needed a clutch and i failed to do the proper research, and i feel like **** about that decision..but yes i will bite the bullet.

i truly want a fidanza stage 3 and a ACT prolite flywheel...but that will come in time. I dont mind the work to do a clutch swap....i enjoy the experience i get from it.

i just want this thing to be able to handle minor abuse when i get the urge to go zoom. lol

i'm not expecting it to last long....not even a year. but, i guess we'll have to wait and see.
I'm curious... you want a stage 3 clutch for your D series? is this thing boosted? what's done to the car? why get a clutch you probably don't need.

If you need to replace your clutch, go OEM unless you're pushing a lot of hp & tq.

The difference in Stages is how strong the pressure plate is, or the clamping power.
I highly recommend a street disc, as a 3 or 6 puck sucks for daily driving.
You do get what you pay for, but just know you can search around and find an Exedy
clutch for a pretty affordable price.

D or B Series that are for the most part stock with bolt on's Exedy stage 1 is ideal. Provided you don't beat the shiit outta your car it will last.

If you upgrade and start pushing more power and you notice your clutch is slipping under
WOT conditions then it's time to go up the stages.

If you're going all motor, you would have fun with a 7-8 lb flywheel. You may experience some side effects because you're throwing your engine off balance. You may or may not notice a difference in your idle mainly.

12lb flywheel is really nice, it's very streetable and feels like a great improvement from a stock flywheel. This is also a nice option for boost as well as all motor.

Do research BEFORE you buy something. Even if you need it yesterday. Do the job once and do it right, or it will cost you double down the road.

And in reference to a clutch job being hard? It's actually a lot easier then you think. Save yourself the 300-1000 in labor (yes there are shops that charge as much as 1500 for a clutch job) and do it yourself with a buddy or 2.

The first time will take you 4-6 hours, and that's taking your time, being organized and taking beer/bong breaks.

the 2nd time will take you 2 hours or less.

8 bolts, pop axles, disconnect slave cyl and speed sensor, support engine with jack (and 2x4 to prevent oil pan damage), remove trans mount, catch trans on your belly.

it's that easy! (i may have over simplified it or missed a step but you get the general idea.)
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i know how to do the clutch swap. i was just saying i enjoy it. lol its good experience to go through the steps. lol

i know i should HAVE done the research like i do now, but why would i waste a perfectly good, even if ebay, clutch kit.

i do plan on tracking a d-series.....yes i've heard its crazy but i WANT TO! so going for a higher stage clutch will just save me time before buying a boost setup, and building my own individual setup piece by piece.

so, imo i know everything you've just said kinda. lol i was just looking to see if anyone had had a good experience with an eGay clutch.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done 6 clutch installations, 6 different guys in the span of 4 months. All of the clutch kits were Stage 2, bought from EBAY, I forget the particular brands. Of the 6, 5 of them have had no issues, the 6th guy however drives VERY hard and honestly beats the hell out of his car on a daily basis.

In all honesty, YES from time to time manufacturer quality will play the part but STILL it will come down to the driver. In my opinion regardless of whether it's EBAY or Brand Bought if you're an ******* with it, it's gonna go on you, the only difference is that one will take longer, and more abuse then the other. Stage 3 on a D-Series is a waste, that's Lawnmower torque, it's not that serious unless it's boosted then I can understand.

I saw a few people suggest OEM, or nothing over a stage 1 or 2. Happy clutchiung!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did an exedy stage 1 clutch, it said it will hold 195ft pounds of torque. And a F1 lightweight flywheel. The clutch was great I beat it up and it took it. The lightweight flywheel sucked. No more second gear chirps. And It felt like I now had a motorcycle engine. I had to rev it up just to get going without stalling. Its probably best for a drag racing setup.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WavyIntegra
I have done 6 clutch installations, 6 different guys in the span of 4 months. All of the clutch kits were Stage 2, bought from EBAY, I forget the particular brands. Of the 6, 5 of them have had no issues, the 6th guy however drives VERY hard and honestly beats the hell out of his car on a daily basis.

In all honesty, YES from time to time manufacturer quality will play the part but STILL it will come down to the driver. In my opinion regardless of whether it's EBAY or Brand Bought if you're an ******* with it, it's gonna go on you, the only difference is that one will take longer, and more abuse then the other. Stage 3 on a D-Series is a waste, that's Lawnmower torque, it's not that serious unless it's boosted then I can understand.

I saw a few people suggest OEM, or nothing over a stage 1 or 2. Happy clutchiung!
hahahah dude fantastic advice!!! i love this response! exactly what i was looking for. i am going to turbo the d15b (which is the best d-series made IMO) and also toss a small shot of the juice into it.....not too big at all but enough to get a couple more! lol i dont want more than a 3 anyway.
but i'll see how much grab i get off of the 2....so that should be fun. thanks bro!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

really it can go both way's some people are makeing great power off there turbo kits and some are exploding on them so its just who gets the better out of the bunch