Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch dumping

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch dumping

how bad is it to dump your clutch honestly it sounds fun, my friend did it on his old b18 but i never knew the cons to it
Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Re: clutch dumping (6footmidget)

it adds exessive wear to the clutch face, is hard on the pressure plate and input shaft on the transmittion. and the sudden shock can potentially destroy alot of things. just depends on what RPM you "dump" your clutch at, and the condition of your running gear and tires. there is some springs on the clutch to absorb some of the shock but those can only take so much.

if your racing it doesnt make you any faster, if anything slower due to the extra wheelspin.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clutch dumping (Frickr)

Enough clutch dumping killed my rear engine mount. It was a [freak]ing pain in the *** to change that out since it was my first time ever changing that rear engine mount.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: clutch dumping (6footmidget)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6footmidget &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bad is it to dump your clutch honestly it sounds fun, my friend did it on his old b18 but i never knew the cons to it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually you have to worry about the rear diff on FR cars or MR, but since Civics have a FF setup you need not worry about that. Would say RR but the old beetles didn't have enough power to crack the diff and I've never seen it happen to a porsche, haha.

In any event.

The sudden shock makes your clutch slip a bit, so it puts excessive wear on your clutch, obviously. Other than that, you don't have to worry about anything, really. Obviously spinning the tires will start to burn the rubber off of them, and that's obviously not good, but other than that you're really fine.

I mean the weakest link in the drivetrain setup of an FF car is the axles, so the worst that'll really happen is you crack an axle.

It's not something I'd recommend doing often, but sometimes it's good to hide your car in a cloud of smoke to blow off some steem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Enough clutch dumping killed my rear engine mount. It was a [freak]ing pain in the *** to change that out since it was my first time ever changing that rear engine mount.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you have your torque mounts in there? That usually won't happen unless you're using OEM mounts without torque mounts, though you should be weary of this, anyway.

Though letting off the gas at high RPM can stress the mounts the same, same with sudden revving.

It rarely happens on a fully stock up unless you're doing it a lot.

My advice:
Try to refrain from doing it too much, it's heavy stress on the motor to rev high, heavy stress on the clutch when it initially grabs, and heavy stress on the mounts and axles when the clutch initially catches.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch dumping (Syndacate)

what does it mean to dump your clutch? o.O
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clutch dumping (EGeezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGeezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what does it mean to dump your clutch? o.O</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rev up the engine and let go of the clutch to burn out.

And Syndacate. My torque mounts were torn to **** as well. The rubber in them is soooooooo thin. I ended up filling them in with window weld. Also the new rear mount I ended up filling in with window weld as well. No more wheel hop! I had also filled in the 2 top mounts but the car vibrated HORRIBLY! I was able to drill out the window weld and good thing it didn't fully stick to the stock engine mount rubber on the top 2 engine mounts. The window weld came out without a problem.

I also try to not dump my clutch anymore since my tranny mount bracket (I did an auto to manual swap) is welded in there. I didn't use the hasport conversion mount (which I regret)
Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch dumping (sageuvagony)

thanks