Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch disengagement issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch disengagement issue

Hopefully I don't have to pull the trans, but if so, oh well...

Here's what happend. Car has been driving fine for ~1 year, then while shifting between 1st and 2nd the pedal seemed to feel strange and car suddenly wouldn't go into 2nd or any other gear. No grinding just wouldn't go. Still a stiff pedal, possibly a little weaker, but maybe I'm just imagining this. I was able to rev a bit and pull it into 2nd and clutch was holding fine. With the pedal depressed the car started moving so obviously clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'm not seeing any leaks in the hydraulic system, but is it possible for the slave cylinder to fail without showing a leak, not pushing the piston far enough to disengage the clutch? Or, could something have happened more likely to the pressure plate? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch disengagement issue

check your slave cylinder..or bleed the clutch system.. theres a bleeder where you turn it and pump the clutch..make sure the resivor cap is off..try that and good luck
Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Is there a way to check for proper slave cylinder operation. I checked that the piston is pushing the clutch fork and it is; and there are no leaks here. Is there a way to check that it's pushing the fork the proper distance?

Why bleed the hydraulics? I am not seeing a leak anywhere, fluid isn't low, and pedal pressure is still good. Things have been fine, but is there someway I'm unaware of for the system to take in air?

I'm personally leaning toward a pressure plate issue, but what I need to know is if there is some way the hydraulic system can fail without a visible leak? And if so how that can be checked short of just starting to replace parts.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess is that's what happened. The spring is jingling around in your pressure plate and is preventing the pressure plate from disengaging the clutch.

Also what can happen is the locknut on your clutch master cylinder piston backed out and the pedal throw needs to be readjusted.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Pedal throw seemed fine... Tore it all apart today and didn't find any obvious issues (pics included). I was hoping to find a clutch disk spring out or something. The springs do feel a little loose, but are all still in place. Both the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces are showing some hot spots, but overall I see nothing to explain why the clutch wouldn't completely disengage. Would it be a ridiculous idea to put this clutch back in the car rather than buy a new one? Maybe the problem is with the master or slave cylinders. I hate to just start changing parts without knowing definitively they're the problem.
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your fork for play?

mine cracked, on a d series transmission

Had similar symptoms as you
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Fork looks fine, no issues there. Other thoughts?

I did notice that the little ball that extends on the slave cylinder to push the fork wiggles around. I've never messed with one before; is this normal or is something broken with that? I'm thinking it's normal given it was still pushing the clutch fork before I took everything apart.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

slave bro they go out all the time
Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cmsoard
Anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Originally Posted by mrharmonic
slave bro they go out all the time
Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 AM

I'll try changing the slave I guess, but where do these fail? It's not leaking and it's still pushing the fork; I don't get it.

What's the opinion on putting this clutch back in the car rather than replacing? Bad idea or not since it appears the clutch itself isn't the issue?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the slave clyinder isn't leaking, and it is still pushing the clutch fork, then it's probably fine. The play you have in the ball at the end of the slave cylinder is normal. Are the 2 ears still on the throw out bearing that hold it to the clutch fork? Changing your clutch now wouldn't be a bad idea. You could get away with using you old one but a new one is going to put more time between now and the next time you have to tear it apart.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 AM

I'll check the throwout bearing tonight.

As far as changing the clutch. I'd definitely do it if I was keeping the car, but I plan to sell it once I get it back together. I'll probably just replace the clutch, but since I'm selling I want to keep the cost down, but still want to put in a quality piece. This one's an ACT, but I don't want to spend that much to replace. Also, the car just has bolt ons so I don't see the need for much increased holding power. I'm thinking some OEM replacement is fine. Any suggestions? I saw the exedy OEM replacement kits on Ebay for $115, are these any good, or junk? The price is quite appealing.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exedy is a good clutch. I've had them in a few of my cars, including my 3000GT VR4 and it was nothing more that the OEM replacement. It held up fine to the 300 AWHP.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exedy is the best in quality!

$114.98 SHIPPED!!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FIX!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same problem with my Integra I just purchased. I bled the line out and its still doing it. I figured for $12 F-it and I'm gonna replace the slave tomorrow. I'm also going to check the master, rod adjustment, etc... I'm hoping I don't have to pull the clutch, but my gut feeling is I will. If I do, I'm replacing it and the pressure plate and throwout for sure and probably throwing some new synchros in the tranny after taking a look at them. My 3rd gear is grinding no matter what right now because of the problem, so I have just been skipping it :thumdown:

I'll let you know what fixes it whenever I figure it out.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Finally got the car all back together today. Put in the Exedy clutch kit and car is running great. So in conclusion, something in the clutch disk or pressure plate must have been the problem, but visually they both appeared fine... Who knows, I'm just very glad it's all functioning again.

Also, I never touched the hydraulics. There was never a visible leak, fluid level was fine, and I could watch the slave cylinder piston pushing the clutch fork. My opinion is not to just start changing these things out unless there is a visible problem with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear! I have to leave town for work for 8 days but am going to pull my trans when I get back, so I can get the new clutch and pressure plate in. I talked to another local mechanic and he said he's 99% sure my clutch dropped a spring. I never did install the slave cylinder, and probably won't assuming the new disk and pp fix the problem.