Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which clutch to buy? 97 lx

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny help plz - 97 lx

So I have this problem that im told is the throw out bearing. When the tranny is in neutral and I have the clutch engaged there is this rubbing/grinding/scraping noise. Also It is sometimes slightly difficult to get into first and reverse. All I have to do is either hit second and then go to first or, this is kinda weird, I can release the clutch while im pressing the shifter towards first, while its still not all the way in, and once the car moves just a tiny bit then it will go all the way into gear. Reverse works the same way. Or I can let the car roll a little. It seems to be an alignment issue.

In addition the clutch feels like its going out anyways. So Im looking for a good replacement clutch to handle stock horse power, throw out bearing and pressure plate. Can you guys point me to the direction of a reliable performance company? Should I just buy stock stuff? Although I havent priced the dealer I feel that an aftermarket performance clutch might be cheaper if not the same price. I havent looked into this. Can you guys help me out?

Modified by stanglover37 at 9:20 PM 7/30/2007
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Which clutch to buy? 97 lx (stanglover37)

Id go either exedy stock replacement clutch, Or CC stage one gravity clutch.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which clutch to buy? 97 lx (Jhonny Ricer)

Anybody else have suggestions? Is the alignment issue related to the throw out bearing?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Which clutch to buy? 97 lx (stanglover37)

The problem with gear selection is because of your throw out bearing or it could be syncro's but reverse doesnt have a syncro so it is most likely due to your throw out bearing. You cant adjust gear forks only your clutch if your clutch is going like you stated it is that could also be a cause of difficulty getting it into gear.
as for which type of clutch there are alot of different brands people use on this site it is all what your goals are if you plan on staying stock exedy is one of the best stock replacements for our cars. If you plan on upping your HP your going to want to go with a better stage clutch that is rated for the amount of torque you are planning on producing. Also to do with this is personal preference and expeirences with products most likely you are going to get the same few responses such as ACT, Exedy, CC, so on and so forth...