Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

Ok, this isn't for a honda, but I really don't know where else to ask, so go ahead and delete this post if you want. I've got a 86 izuzu p'up and the clutch is going out. Just wondering how hard it would be for me to change it( I have no experience other than changing oil on a car, I'm 17) and how much it would cost, if its even worth it. Once again sorry about the non-honda post, but I really don't know where else to ask.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch (jerm001)

A clutch change at an auto shop usually costs around 300 dollars in labor, not including parts. I dont think anyone can actually tell you if its worth it to do something on your car, it all depends on if you want to put the money into it. Ive done a couple clutch changes; one on the 97 civic, one on a subaru impreza 2.5rs, and one on a 87 rx7. Since your talking about a pick-up I'm assuming its RWD. Changing out a rwd clutch isnt too bad as long as you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The biggest pain laying on your back and humping the tranny off and onto the engine. Other then that its all about removing bolts.
What I usually start with when doing a clutch change is I remove the slave cylinder. After that I start disconnecting all the wires that are attatched to the tranny. A good thing to do if your forget like I am is to make labels out of masking tape and put them on the sensors and the wires so you know where it goes when putting it back together. After the wires are disconnected I undo the shifter linkage or shifter assembly. These are usually different per car, but usually aren't too hard to figure out. After thats done, you have to go to the rear of the car and unbolt the driveshaft from the differential (pumpkin). Once the driveshaft is loose from the rear diff you can slide it out of the tranny. After you have that removed you can start to unbolt the tranny from the engine. I usually start by removing the starter then unscrewing all of the bolts around the tranny. Theres usually about 10-15 long bolts that hold the transmission on the engine. It is ok to remove all of the bolts because there are dowel pins that keep the tranny on the motor, but i usually keep atleast two bolts secured for safety purposes. After you have most of the bolts loose you can slide a jack under the transmission and start to remove the rear bracket of the transmission. These are also usually different per car but they all mostly consist of a bar that spans the driveshaft tunnel. Once thats removed the tranny should be pretty loose minus the last two bolts you left on between the tranny and engine. You can then unbolt those and the transmission will be ready to slide out.
Sliding the transmission out usually isnt too tricky. Sometimes you might have to tap the clutch housing lightly with a mallet to break the seal between the dowels and the tranny. After you do that the transmission should just slide out with a decent pull. Its best if you have two people at this point to keep the transmission from tipping over off of the jack. After the tranny is pulled off the dowels you can lower it to the ground and slide if off the jack.
Changing out the clutch is pretty straight forward. I usually first start by sliding the throwout bearing off of the clutch fork on the transmissions input shaft and replace that with a new one. You can then start unbolting the clutch cover/pressure plate off of the flywheel. It is good practice to always remove the flywheel and get it resurfaced whenever you replace the clutch to ensure that the new clutch will break into the flywheel properly. Other then bolting the clutch back on with an alignment tool you should just do everything in reverse.
As for the clutch kit. Since your not needing anything very high performance for your truck I would just go down to your local napa, schucks, autozone, or any other reputable auto store and grab yourself a clutch kit. If the kit does not include a pilot bearing and throw out bearing, you should buy one. Also clutch kits usually come with alignment tools, but if they done you can usually rent one at the auto shop for like 5 bucks. I usually always do most of the minor to semi involved jobs on my families cars because in the end youll be saving yourself a whole helluva alot of money. You can also acquire more knowledge the farther you dig into your car.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch (aw1234dude)

Ohh yeah i didnt proof read that so if theres grammatical errors all over...too bad, ha ha.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:06 PM

thanks for all the info