cluster lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster lights not working

Damn it every week I have a new problem with my car

Me once again, asking for help.
I have a 92 CX hatch.

I replaced the heater core with my friend the other day, and everything is good with the exception of two things.

My cluster back light doesn't work. All the plugs are in and the wires are fine. All the other lights in the cluster work (problem buttons), but i can't see how fast I'm going while driving around at night. Last night I had to use my cell phone to see how fast I was going. Sad.

The second problem is that I have this REALLY shitty alarm system that doesn't really seem to work, but it's wired in to the starter. So if i unhook the system the car won't start

Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Re: cluster lights not working (Commiecircusbear)

Do you have the dash back in yet? because it would be alot easier for you to test your cluster with the dash out to see if you have a loose connection.

As for the alarm just take it out and connect the wires that the alarm was seperating on the starter.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Re: cluster lights not working (De_tour)

yeah the dash is back in.
All my cluster wires are taped together with electrical tape to keep everything neat and easy to find. So when I pull out the Cluster even without removing the dash all the wires are right there and they're easy to see. Just the 4 plugs to the back of the cluster plus one small wire for the ground.
however, a guy at Napa auto parts today told me it could be that the ground is loose; that was his only thought though. So i'll have to check that too.
I've also heard someone say that if the dimmer switch is expletiveed up then the rest of the lights in the cluster won't work -- but then again my friends' dimmer switch didn't work and his cluster lights worked fine

The alarm is really confusing, because whoever installed it did a shitty job! I will take a picture, because it just looks terrible. With random wires just hanging and everything just looks like a big ol' mess

for the feed back though
Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: cluster lights not working (Commiecircusbear)

had to take a real quick picture cuz my batteries kept dying, so this is the best i could do for now.
So, I'm sure the reason my cluster lights don't work is because of the stupid *** alarm.

I would remove it, but I 'm too scared I'll screw something up with the wires and my car won't work at all

Does anyone have any kind of wiring diagram for that... area?
or know what wires lead to the cluster??