Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Climate Fuse Blows - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Fuse Blows - Please Help

Ok,
So the saga for the 93 DX continues... I'll try to keep this short. When I purchased this vehicle, ALL the lights of the climate control box worked, but the A/C switch died. Since then I've a) Removed the air conditioning (engine swap) and b) Just replaced with a known working Climate Control. However, the same issue occurs. I turn the car on, the climate control works. When the car is ON, the climate control can be on any setting, or off, it will randomly blow the fuse leaving me with no air movement (which is bad during rain/cold!). This is a major issue.

As far as the clues:

1) I replaced the dimmer switch as it was intermittently making my dash lights go on and off, although it doesn't seem to be directly connected to the Climate Control, ever since I replaced this.. The lower lights of the climate control (where the heat setting is, there are two bulbs behind it) stopped working - BUT It took roughly 6 months AFTER the dimmer switch change for the climate control to blow its fuse.

2) It doesn't matter what setting the climate control is on, and it can even be off for it to die on me.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Climate Fuse Blows - Please Help

What specific fuse is blowing? 7.5A dash fuse 13, 30A hood fuse 37, or a different fuse?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the 7.5 amp fuse. I've replaced it with other sizes... they all blow.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

To avoid wire damage and a fire, never install higher than recommended amperage fuses.

You obviously have a short in the fuse 13 circuit. The best way to pinpoint the short in the circuit is to unplug each component protected by fuse 13 one at a time to see whether one unplugged component prevents the fuse from blowing. You will need to buy a box of 7.5A fuses.

The first diagram below shows all components protected by fuse 13. Start by unplugging all 5 relays on this circuit at the same time.

-If this prevents fuse 13 from blowing, then unplug each relay one at a time to identify which one prevents the fuse from blowing.
-If fuse 13 still blows, then unplug the mode control and recirculation motors and the heater control panel. If fuse 13 now does not blow, then unplug each component one at a time to pinpoint the source of the short.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Working on it now. Thank you sir.. I'll let you know. I appreciate the looking about with the fire, I do understand.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed it. It was either the old AC wiring harness relay in the front of the car or it was the fan relay... either way it's working great now. Thank you so much for your help!