Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Climate bulb went out.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate bulb went out.

1994 Civic Si.

It's the bulb that illuminates the fan options. (Where the fan blows on you).

I've never removed the climate control panel before so I don't know if these little LEDs are replacable or if I need a whole new console.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Climate bulb went out.

nah u can change the bulbs itself, there bulb #74 and i think theres two of them in ur climate control year
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Climate bulb went out.

check this out it will answer any questions,talks about all gauge and climate control bulbs and options.used it myself http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=22277
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have fun pulling that climate control out...be prepared for a lot of swearing and scraped knuckles.

fm
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
Have fun pulling that climate control out...be prepared for a lot of swearing and scraped knuckles.

fm
Rofl! I was reading up on it and it says you can do it without taking the dash out, but nobody said it was easy. Nobody! So it must be a beeyawch.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carbon_si
check this out it will answer any questions,talks about all gauge and climate control bulbs and options.used it myself http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=22277
Nice to know
Mine went out also
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, you certainly don't need to pull the dash out. I've had my climate control out several times without pulling the dash. IIRC, there are 3 screws holding it in place. One in the back, which you can see after you pull your radio out. The other two are in the front of the CC, but you can't see them easily. But the worst part is getting that $@!*& molex connector disconnected from the back of the climate control. You'll probably have to cut the ziptie thingy that holds the wiring harness in place so you can pull the CC out enough to get a good grip on that connector.

So yeah, it ain't easy, but it's doable. Plan on a couple of hours of fighting it if you've never done it before. I can do one in about 15 minutes now, but I sure don't want to.

fm

Originally Posted by Rok_Stok
Rofl! I was reading up on it and it says you can do it without taking the dash out, but nobody said it was easy. Nobody! So it must be a beeyawch.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
Oh, you certainly don't need to pull the dash out. I've had my climate control out several times without pulling the dash. IIRC, there are 3 screws holding it in place. One in the back, which you can see after you pull your radio out. The other two are in the front of the CC, but you can't see them easily. But the worst part is getting that $@!*& molex connector disconnected from the back of the climate control. You'll probably have to cut the ziptie thingy that holds the wiring harness in place so you can pull the CC out enough to get a good grip on that connector.

So yeah, it ain't easy, but it's doable. Plan on a couple of hours of fighting it if you've never done it before. I can do one in about 15 minutes now, but I sure don't want to.

fm
Thanks a million fungus, I'm going to go to the parts store and look for a couple of those 74 bulbs.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
S_F
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this about 2 months ago. Two bulbs cost about $3 from Honda. It took me about 3 hours. It is terrible. Take off the front console, remove the radio and then try to get the screws for the control unit out. The one in the back of the unit sucks but isn't so bad. The two in the front are pure hell. You need a real long thin phillips head to get up from the bottom. You have to lay on your back on the floor to see up in there. I tried everything else before just sucking it up and going in from the bottom. It's easier if you lay on the passenger side so you don't have the wheel in the way. You don't need to unplug it for the record. I didn't. I managed to get it out enough to pull the face plate off. Then the bulbs are right there. Easy to get at. In the process I broke the plug to my antenna. Stupid! Never listen to the radio any way. It's really amazing how small things can get in Japanese cars.

So to sum it up:
2 bulbs $3
3 hours $150 as my time is money
about 1/4 of the hair remaining on the top of my hear due to stress.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, it's a bitch the first time you do it but you learn a few tricks along the way. I didin't have to lay on the floor, I just felt around in there and loosened the screws blind but I had already done this once. Just take your time and be patient so you don't break anything.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I'll give it a try this weekend. I'm also replacing my outer tie rods but that's beside the point.

I went to O'Reilly's today and picked up two #74 bulbs, they're like $1.50 each.