Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk?

I have a 1991 Honda Civic. It gives out a clicking sound from the left axle while making a right turn. I understand that it is because of the torn boot which might have damaged the axle CV.
I need to use this car only for next 3 months (around 2500 miles). I wanted to know if I can avoid the expenssive replacement of the CV. Is there a potential danger in driving the vehicle while it is making a clicking sound? I useally drive on the interstate. If there is no risk, I can live with the clicking sound.
Please share your experiences.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (amolm)

i have no experience but i would say go for it. My friend has a ripped CV boot on his prelude and has been driving around for the last 1.5 months with no problem but that horrible noise. Good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 AM

The clicking sounds is that of the ball bearings hitting one another as they turn in rotation of the driveshaft and turn. There's no way to tell how long it will last...I've seen cars go close to a year without issue I've seen cars go for 2 days. Primarily it depends upon how much u stress it. i.e. make smoother slow turns. Also if you can do the work yourself, a new boot shouldnt cost more than @ $30. You could just pack it with grease and change the boot for added safety. If you cannot do the work yourself then at least try and pack in some grease to help decrease the wear potential...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (StoneGold)

juss go 2 any autozone they have a lifetym warranty axel u can get 4 like $50, as long as u drive it normal it should be fine, i have a friend dat had a blown axel for like a yr and raced his car at the track w/ it , but otha wise u should be coo , but 50 is pretty cheap
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too proud of it but on my old car, I drove on a clicking axle for more than a year.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (JdMdA90)

mine is making the same sound, its my cv half shaft.... it will last a lil while, mine go out every 16 months or so due to the 18"s i havre on there, it came with 13"s originaly so somthings gota give a lil.........
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (maddstylez)

i went for 6 months on clicking axles.... but when i replaced them, it was soooo easy. dont mess with just the boots, replace the whole axle. they are around 60 bucks a piece without a core charge. most axle companys carry a lifetime warranty. i must say tho. ive had the best luck with A-1 Cardone axles.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:01 AM

I actually went a year with my clicking before i realized what it was....but i got lucky. if i were you i'd try to go without replacing the axle
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (kevoweb)

im going on 6 months with mine doing it now. more and more things keep coming up financially and its kinda on the back burner. it depends on how bad it is. mine is real bad if its cold, or the wheel is locked either direction. but like people said, just corners smoother, don't beat on it, etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (ninefivehatch)

after reading all those posts, its kinda upsetting to see people say drive on bad axles...take a risk...blah blah blah. Like i've said before...you don't chance your life or the safty of your passangers do you? It's only axles. Don't be cheap and risk having a 60 dollar problem jump to a 1500 dollar problem when your axle breaks and you cant control your vehicle. oh well not my life
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after reading all those posts, its kinda upsetting to see people say drive on bad axles...take a risk...blah blah blah. Like i've said before...you don't chance your life or the safty of your passangers do you? It's only axles. Don't be cheap and risk having a 60 dollar problem jump to a 1500 dollar problem when your axle breaks and you cant control your vehicle. oh well not my life </TD></TR></TABLE>
i guess youve never broken an axle? in no way is a clicking axle life threatening. if it breaks, sure itll sling around in there, but whats it gonna do? go thru the steering rack, and lodge itself into someones throat?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i guess youve never broken an axle? in no way is a clicking axle life threatening. if it breaks, sure itll sling around in there, but whats it gonna do? go thru the steering rack, and lodge itself into someones throat?</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i've said it's not my life
Old 01-03-2005, 09:29 AM

I need to replace mine also. I'll probably go to autozone soon and get the lifetime deal.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd drive on it and not even worry about! The chances of it actaully snapping in half are pretty slim to none if you ask me. I had one let go on me in an '87 Dodge Lancer and it just spun in place and made a horrible grinding noise. I would suggest making sure your e-brake works well in case it does go out. My Dodge drifted out into the street when I broke mine because my e-brake didn't work and I thought putting it in park would hold the car in place, I was really young and dumb!!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (spoonek9)

LOL at all you lazy people , just replace it. It's not an expensive part (once you're done with the core) and it doesn't take long to replace at all.

I guess if you're going to junk it after the 3 months then it's up to you, but if someone else is going to drive it when you're through, then replace it.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk? (ExCom)

Thanks guys for your replies....
Well, I can not do it myself as I do not have all the tools with me, nor good enough space. The mechanic gave me an estimate of around 180 bucks which includes the part (the complete part, not only the boot) with labor. This made me think.

I am anyway going to drive it only for three months. Really don't know at this time what's in the store for it after that.

One more point i forgot to mention. I drive it in Detroit.... that means peak winter conditions on the way. Does this offer any risk?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Ever hear a clicking noise when you turn?

Ever feel a vibration only when you're acclerating?

Chances are that you need a new axle. The first thing you'd need to do before you go pulling an axle out of your car is figure out which axle is bad if both aren't. Symtoms of a bad axel would be:

1. Torn boot with grease slinging out. ( :hammerDUH:hammer )
2. One side or the other vibrating upon hitting the gas. This indicates a broken or worn inner joint.

So after you figure out which one (or both) needs replacing you can begin.

I've taken some pics of various tools that you will need in order to swap an axle. I work at a shop so air was available to me, but for you at home there might not be some tools pictured here that you will need - I'll get to that in a minute.

32mm socket
19mm socket
17mm socket
17mm wrench or additional socket
1/2'' driver for big sockets
3/8'' driver for drain plug/sockets
hammer
dykes
prybar
*big-*** breaker/cheater bar for the 1/2'' driver to break the axle nut loose and tighten it back down*

*Optional*

Depending on tranny you might have to drain and fill the tranny. I make this a common practice every time I swap an axle and I recommend that you do too. In my tutorial I will detail how to drain and fill the tranny. If doing so add these things:

3 qts of Genuine Honda MTF (you won't use all 3 - B-Series takes like 2.5 qts.)
Long funnel
crush washer for drian plug (get it from Honda - same one as your engine oil drain plug)
10mm socket with LONG extention
driver for 10mm socket/extension

Here we see the various tools laid out. Missing from the pic is the big-*** breaker car for you at home that will need it for the 32mm axle nut. Also missing are the funnel and 10mm socket.extention/driver combo for the drain/fill procedure. I has air tools available so I used them.

Close-up of cotter pin (you'll only need one) and drain plug washer

Drivers and 17mm end wrench:

32mm, 19mm, and 17mm sockets:

And if you're lucky and have tools a 1/2'' impact will be very helpful:

Okay so let's get started.

1. Take the 19mm socket and break your wheel lugs loose. they will be hard as hell to break loose if you've already got the car in the air.

*For those without an impact*

It has been brought to my attention that if you are using a 32mm socket with a 1/2'' driver and a big-*** breaker bat you might want to break the 32mm axle end nut loose while the car is still on the ground. Hopefully you can access the nut with the wheel still on, because if not you'll have to get someone to sit in the car and hold the brakes on with the engine on in hopes that the wheel won't turn while you try to break the 32mm nut loose.

2. Jack up the car and secure it on a STABLE set of jackstands. I used a lift so sorry, no pics.

3. Locate the drain plug and use a 3/8'' driver with no socket and remive the drain plug:

Replace the drain plug washer and tighten the drain plug back after draining is complete. I didn't do this until later on because I waited to drain the tranny until right before prying out the axle, but I recommend doing this first at home and then tightening the plug back until you feel/hear the washer crush. This insures no leakage during work and also so that you remember to drain and tighthen the plug up before you start the real work.

4. Remove the wheel and look for the 32mm axle end nut. Yeah the pic sucks.

5. Remove the axle nut with the 32mm socket. At home you will need a breaker bar or cheater bar to get much-needed leverage to break this bastatrd loose. I used an impact.

6. Now find the cotter pin lovated on the 17mm castle nut below the lower balljoint and remove it by unfolding it with your dykes:

7. Now take the 17mm socket and remove the 17mm castle nut from the lower balljoint. Yes this pic sucks too.

8. Now take your hammer and beat on the lower control arm where the hammer head is in this pic. This will break the balljoint loose. The pics get better sometime.

9. Now locate the through bolt that holds the lower strut "fork" to the lower control arm:

10. Using a 17mm socket on one side and either a 17mm wrench or another socket to hold the other side, remove the through bolt .

11. Now take your hammer and LIGHTLY tap on the end of the axle to get it free from the spindle:

12. Now pull the lower strut fork to the side and it should all look like this:

13. Now you're ready to pry the axle out. Take the prybar and position like so in the pic and pry. You might want to secure the spindle out of the way so it doesn't hold the axle in:

14. Compare your new axle to the one you pulled out and make sure the new axle is correct. The old axle might not "look" bad, but in this case here the shaft is actually broken in half inside the outer boot.

15. Now you're ready to put the new one in. Simply reverse the removal procedure. First get the spindle out of the way and pop the axle back into the inner joint. It might take a bit of pushing, but it will pop in. Make SURE that the inner joint is all the way in and butted up against the tranny casing fully.

16. Here's where steps can be swapped around, but I did mine in this order. Put the lower balljoint back into the lower control arm and slide the outer splines back into the spindle - finger tighten the 32mm axle nut on so the axle doesn't pop back out while you do other work.

17. Now you're ready to line up the lower strut fork with the lower control arm to put the through bolt in. It helps to tighten the lower balljoint 17mm castlenut first. Replace the cotter pin too! VERY IMPORTANT!!! Remember to tighten the 17mm castlenut in a manner so that you can slide the new cotter pin in.

18. Push up on the lower control arm and slide the through bolt in plave and put the 17mm nut on the end:

19. Using two 17mm sockets or whatever combo you choose, tighten the through bolt:

20. Now tighten the 32mm axle end nut. If you have no air tools then use the breaker bar and tighten it up pretty snug. STAKE THE NUT DOWN! Use the hammer and something flat to make an indention in the nut like pictured:

So the new axle is in. Time to fill the tranny. There's a few schools of thought on how to fill the tranny, but this methid here is by far the least messy and to me the easiest.

*Optional* Find the fill plug. It is seen here right next to the inner joint of the axle. It has a crush washer so if you loose it your'e screwed. Honda doesn't usually sotck this one. I chose not to loosen my fill plug because I know my tranny takse 2.5 qts., but the way you fill it is to fill until fluid dribbles from the fill hole so this is optional if it makes you feel better.

Here's where the trick comes in that will save you headahces. Usually you have to ghetto-rig a funnel and tube to fill the tranny in the fill hole which really sucks. My method is really easy.

1. Remove the vent cap found near the front/top of your tranny:

2. Find the Speed sensor located on the topside of the very back of your tranny:

3. Take the 10mm on a big-*** extension and remove the bolt (it's the orangish one in my pic - yours probably won't be oragnish):

4. Now see that big-*** hole left after you move the speed sensor out of the way? Use the funnel and fill through that hole! By the way, no need to unplug the speed sensor - just move it out of the way.

5. Fill up with specified amount or until fluid dribbles from the fill hole below.

6. Put the speed sensor back in, tighten up the fill plug (if you loosened it).

7. Replace the vent cap and you're done!

Now put your wheel back on, torque the lugs to spec with a torque wrench and take your car for a test drive!

I will check later for typos, but for now I have to run. Hope this helps you all with axle questions!

Old 01-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amolm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys for your replies....
Well, I can not do it myself as I do not have all the tools with me, nor good enough space. The mechanic gave me an estimate of around 180 bucks which includes the part (the complete part, not only the boot) with labor. This made me think.

I am anyway going to drive it only for three months. Really don't know at this time what's in the store for it after that.

One more point i forgot to mention. I drive it in Detroit.... that means peak winter conditions on the way. Does this offer any risk?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're driving in the snow, dont turn and spin your wheels....it's one of the harshest things you can do for your CV joints. If you get snow up in there enough to purge all of the grease in the joint and you're driving on the interstate for awhile Id bet things will heat up to the breaking point. I guess it depends on how ripped your boot is.....
Old 01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Electrician

Both my boots are shot. No clicking noises yet. 4 months so far...
Old 01-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

B18C5-EH2 to you for an awsome, detailed write up
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Clicking Sound in front Axle - Risk?

I had the same problem...heard that noise, in less than a week, i ripped the CV boot...in the end, i had to get a new axle....it sucks...i say replace it cuz once that boot rips completely, your stuck on the road...cuz u gotta call a tow truck