Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clicking relay and now car wont start??? please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking relay and now car wont start??? please help

ok i have a 95 vx and recentley i swapped it to a b16a2 the only thing that was changed was the motor of course all the wiring styaed the same..at first it ran fine and now all of a sudden some times when you try and start it the relay under the dash will start making a loud clicking sound and it gets a solid cell and wont start..the first time it did this i let it set for a few days and then it started and now it has done it agine and im tired of this ****..can some one please give me an idea as to why its doing this...wat would make the relay click and not start the car??
Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: clicking relay and now car wont start??? please help (91tegrals)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i have a 95 vx and recentley i swapped it to a b16a2 the only thing that was changed was the motor of course all the wiring styaed the same..at first it ran fine and now all of a sudden some times when you try and start it the relay under the dash will start making a loud clicking sound and it gets a solid cell and wont start..the first time it did this i let it set for a few days and then it started and now it has done it agine and im tired of this ****..can some one please give me an idea as to why its doing this...wat would make the relay click and not start the car??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you checked out what CEL is popping up?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: clicking relay and now car wont start??? please help (De_tour)

clicking relays=check your grounds
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the wiring stayed the same? it should have changed a little. 5-wire O2 to 4-wire O2 minimally.
Which ECU are you using? the P30? chipped P28? please don't say the VX's P07.

back to the question, bad ground would be my guess as well.
It could also be the main relay though.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok its running off a jdm p30 and i havent done the wiring for the o2 yet cause i was planning on buying a chipped ecu and delete the o2 and iacv and yes i have checked the codes and thoughs are the only ones im getting iacv, o2..oh and i just noticed when the relay os clicking the fule pump vibrates with the clicking but its getting fuel//i tried a diff relay and it started but then died and did the same thing agine..if you guing its a ground the wickcould i be missing..i have the one on the tranny ,vc , and the 2 in the harnesse im trying to remember if i tightned the ones on the harnesse so they may be loose...ill check and post back..and thanks for the help so far..
Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clicking relay and now car wont start??? please help (91tegrals)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">at first it ran fine and now all of a sudden some times when you try and start it the relay under the dash will start making a loud clicking sound and it gets a solid cell and wont start..??</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok its running off a jdm p30 and i havent done the wiring for the o2 yet cause i was planning on buying a chipped ecu and delete the o2 and iacv and yes i have checked the codes and thoughs are the only ones im getting iacv, o2..oh and i just noticed when the relay os clicking the fule pump vibrates with the clicking but its getting fuel//i tried a diff relay and it started but then died and did the same thing agine..if you guing its a ground the wickcould i be missing..i have the one on the tranny ,vc , and the 2 in the harnesse im trying to remember if i tightned the ones on the harnesse so they may be loose...ill check and post back..and thanks for the help so far..</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, from reading the first quote, i'm going to say your main relay is going out. why, because this is a common symptom from a bad relay. soon it will go out completely and the car wouldn't start at all.

i really don't think it's the grounds because you would be having starter problems.

as for your CEL, it's just the reoccoring codes that keep sufacing/ once in a while double check the codes to make sure no new ones have appeared.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (91tegrals)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok its running off a jdm p30 and i havent done the wiring for the o2 yet cause i was planning on buying a chipped ecu and delete the o2 and iacv and yes i have checked the codes and thoughs are the only ones im getting iacv, o2..oh and i just noticed when the relay os clicking the fule pump vibrates with the clicking but its getting fuel//i tried a diff relay and it started but then died and did the same thing agine..if you guing its a ground the wickcould i be missing..i have the one on the tranny ,vc , and the 2 in the harnesse im trying to remember if i tightned the ones on the harnesse so they may be loose...ill check and post back..and thanks for the help so far..</TD></TR></TABLE>
you're going to have the primary O2 disabled? feel free to post up when you pop the engine then. Should be a few weeks (or less) after you have this done.
The primary O2 is there to detect how to run the engine. Disabling it results in the engine running directly off the maps, which is fine if you have a seriously highly tuned map in the chip. If not it will run lean or rich and it will not last long.
Disabling the IACV is asking for idling issues. You shouldn't have any IACV wiring issues anyway, it's the same plug from the VX to the A2.

if it did the same thing with two different main relays.. Tripple check all your engine grounds.
It could also be your ECU having issues. There is a capacitor that is starting to go bad more and more. When it goes bad the fuel pump shuts off. When it's starting to go bad it will go off and on. But usually not pulsing, it's either on or off.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you're going to have the primary O2 disabled? feel free to post up when you pop the engine then. Should be a few weeks (or less) after you have this done.
The primary O2 is there to detect how to run the engine. Disabling it results in the engine running directly off the maps, which is fine if you have a seriously highly tuned map in the chip. If not it will run lean or rich and it will not last long.
Disabling the IACV is asking for idling issues. You shouldn't have any IACV wiring issues anyway, it's the same plug from the VX to the A2.

if it did the same thing with two different main relays.. Tripple check all your engine grounds.
It could also be your ECU having issues. There is a capacitor that is starting to go bad more and more. When it goes bad the fuel pump shuts off. When it's starting to go bad it will go off and on. But usually not pulsing, it's either on or off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok the car is running it was a loose ground it was the harnesse grounds and relic ill take your advice and ill do the wiring and as for the iacv im buying a new so that will al be taken car of thanks for the help man i wouldnt have thought of a loose ground and wat sucks more is that i have bought 3 relays thrying to fix this hahah