Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clicking/Knocking on Suspension

Old 05-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking/Clicking/Knocking on Suspension

UPDATE: My car doesn't clunk when it's raining. I hope that can help diagnose the problem better.

Today on the front right passenger side of my car, there has been a clicking/knocking sound from the suspension.

I only hear it during the following times:
1. When braking semi hard...
2. When starting to drive from a stop...
3. Occasionally when I hit a bump...

It happens when I turn too, but I honestly think it's unrelated since it DOES NOT sound like the usual clicking of a CV Joint either.

I have noticed that when I brake semi-hard it's as if inertia kicks in and the suspension clicks\knocks forward. If I brake harder it's as if the suspension already clicked forward into place and won't click forward again.

Then when I accelerate, inertia will play it's part again and the suspension will click back. If I slowly stop WITHOUT letting the suspension click forward, then accelerate hard again, it won't click. It's as if it's already locked into that position until I brake.

I'm gonna check this out when I get home tomorrow but I'd love to get the community's thoughts and experiences.

Modified by aalb1 at 1:32 PM 5/18/2006
Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Clicking/Knocking on Suspension (aalb1)

hey bro if you figure that **** out let me kno, me and two of my friends have that identical problem on the drivers side but no one can figure it out . weve had ball joints, tie rods (inner and outter) nuts and bolts, brakes and axels checked and no one can figure it out. weve all replaced our axels too just to make sure and same problem.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this problem on my old 87 accord. it was the ball joint on the rear upper control arm. id get your car up in the air and cheack it over real good

Modified by tatmark1 at 1:02 PM 5/14/2006
Old 05-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that kind of happens to me, but it's from the passenger side
Old 05-14-2006, 09:55 AM

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. i've asked people on honda-tech about this before and no one seems to know what it is. Sounds like a creaking sound when i brake hard. When i turn left there is slight knock sometimes. emphasis on the sometimes.

glad im not the only one
Old 05-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking/Knocking on Suspension (jxmac2o6)

Yea doing a search doesn't help either... it seems like there are a lot of similiar posts yet no complete answers. My Wheel Bearing seems fine... how do you know when a ball joint is going bad?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its your LCA bushings. look under the car and have a friend shove the wheel. you will see it move and knock. happened to me. wasted soo much $ to find it. got some ES urethane bits in there and fixed it right up
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking/Knocking on Suspension (Turbo E)

The thing is I can't replicate the sound unless I'm driving. It's nothing mechanical either, I just think it only makes the sound with the full force from the car's weight. (ie Car rolling in neutral and stopping... It will make that knock).

I'll check those bushings though. Anything else?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, that's happening to me as well, i know i've said that already, but if you figure it out, can you let me know?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 PM

yeah bushing for me too, somehow mine turned to complete nothingness (powder) and my friend replaced me a new one when he was doin coils for me at his shop
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (axtran)

do you have an ek?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aalb1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an ek?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even better... SI
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clunking/Clicking/Knocking on Suspension (aalb1)

hey check your subframe... those tack welded bolts that hold in the lca have a tendency to bust loose, the bolt wont come out either because the wieght of the suspension holds it in... i got a gsr subframe. but i suppose you could just weld in new nuts. thats what solved my horrible suspension noise problem. both of the nuts inside were completely gone... actually there were bouncing around inside the subframe...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:13 PM

i bet you money i know what it is b/c i had the same problem. if you have replaced your brake pad make sure the clips that hold them in place are still there. thats what i did and it fixed the problem hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmmm... 14 posts, and nobody suggested Hubs yet (edit: oops! aalb1 mentioned it in post 6... anyway...)?

Here are some things that might help isolate your problem area..

Put the Front on Jack Stands and spin the wheel with your hands. If you still hear the sound (or any cyclical contact, for that matter), the Suspension Load is less likely to be the main factor (but it still might exacerbate your problems). Look and listen closely to any areas where you can hear friction. If the sound you hear IS cyclical, then note what position the Wheel is in, as this might help you locate your problem. If you don't hear any sound, then you can be more certain that the Suspension's Load is causing your problems.

With the Car still on Jack Stands, grab your wheel and check for free play. The Front Hub/Bearing/Knuckle assemblies are one of few Front End components that can make a sound while "looking normal". Put your hands at 10 & 2, and jiggle the Wheel to see if there's "excessive" play... It might help to detach your Caliper from the Knuckle (at least one side), so that the Rotor/Hub can move in the "test" directions. Also, try to Push/Pull your Wheel in/out. If it moves too much, you may need to replace your Bearings (likely), Hubs (less likely), and/or Knuckles (very unlikely). The last thing I can think of is that the splines either in the Axle's end or the Hub's Pilot Hole may have been damaged...

Other than that, TEST TEST TEST (off road). Try to isolate your problem before you start spending $$$$ on replacement parts. Let us know, and GL!!!
JasonGhostz
Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Clunking/Clicking/Knocking on Suspension (moores55)

just put mines back in, its anoyin as hell
Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM,FIGURED MINE OUT IT WAS THE BOLTS THAT HOLD IN THE UPPER CONTROL ARM. I SEARCHED FOR OVER A WEEK REPLACING AXLES INTER/SHAFTS AND CRAWLING UNDERNEATH MY CAR. I FINALLY FOUND IT WHEN I WAS REPLACING MY FPR. I SEEN THE BOLTS STICKIN A 1/4 INCH OUT.WELL ANYWAYS IT WORKED FOR ME.